League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
6/9/2018: Larry Brooks says Ovechkin is still a loser and the Capitals had an easy path to the Cup because they didn't have to play the Rangers
This time, the winner of the Patrick Ewing Lifetime Achievement Award for most failed postseason guarantees got it right. He scored difference-making goals, made difference-making plays. This time, too, neither Ovechkin nor the Caps had to go through Henrik Lundqvist, the way they couldn’t in successive seven-game defeats in 2012, 2013 and 2015.
3/3/2019: Capitals sweep New York Rangers in season series for 1st time, Lundqvist posts 4.77 season GAA against Caps (0-2 3.51 last year)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's also a coaching issue. Who here thinks Torts is the guy to help his team overcome their mental and emotional baggage? It's a match made in hell.

We can argue about what Barry did X-and-O-wise, but he definitely was key in fixing the cracks after the 2017 collapse and getting the Caps back to being a team for the eventual Cup run.

Ive been thinking that if CBJ loses its next game, Torts is gone

Reactions: calicapsfan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
[QUOTE="AlexBrovechkin8]If I was a CBJ fan, I'd have preferred to trade Panarin and Bob for assets, continue to build through guys like Jones, Werenski, PLD, Atkinson, etc, look at using some of those assets to retool this summer, and reopen the window in a year or two. Now it just looks like they are pretty ****ed.

I guess I don't think their window closes after this year, or that it didn't have to. They have some solid young talent and could have added more if they played their cards right. They essentially went all in when with an ace of hearts and a 9 of diamonds... sure it could turn out ok but the odds are overwhelmingly against you.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I doubt it, honestly. Seems too late to make that switch IMO, but maybe. If they miss, tho, he's for sure gone after the season.

If they miss, they lose all the ufa's and are toast. If they make the playoffs and win a series, I'd bet they can at least keep the players they got from Ottawa.

That said, part of the problem with this all in move is the reliance on players from the Senators to perform under pressure

Jun 15, 2007
I'm not familiar with anyone worse

Brooks has some dumb opinions but Damien Cox not only has dumb opinions but his dumb opinions aren't even logical.

Obviously a guy winning a tournament for the 11th time will celebrate it less than a guy winning it for the first time. Damien Cox is genuinely very low IQ.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004

Brooks has some dumb opinions but Damien Cox not only has dumb opinions but his dumb opinions aren't even logical.

Obviously a guy winning a tournament for the 11th time will celebrate it less than a guy winning it for the first time. Damien Cox is genuinely very low IQ.

Rob Rossi says hello.
As bad? Possibly. Worse? I stand by my statement.

Reactions: Hivemind

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
6/9/2018: Larry Brooks says Ovechkin is still a loser and the Capitals had an easy path to the Cup because they didn't have to play the Rangers

3/3/2019: Capitals sweep New York Rangers in season series for 1st time, Lundqvist posts 4.77 season GAA against Caps (0-2 3.51 last year)
Cool, how many cups have they won since Caps existed? Oh, just one too? Not exactly sure why you would be so condescending given equal cups.

Yeah, Caps didn’t play the Rangers BECAUSE THE RAGS WEREN’T IN THE PLAYOFFS. Some Ryan Reeves style thinking there.

Yeah Damien, I’m sure Nadal didn’t eat cereal from the trophy, have god knows what animals do what things to the trophy and who knows what other crazy acts with the trophy either. Going to call them out too? No? Thought so you pathetic excuse for a writer.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't understand why people often makes Torts out to be a clown. He's a legit coach with huge resume full of playoffs appearances that include a conference final and winning the Cup. In Russia this is the type of coach that always gets the biggest amount of respect. Players probably don't love to get yelled at but they respect such coaches for their passion and honesty and understand that he's right for giving them shit for a poor effort. He will get in your face if you're not playing hard and half-assing through games. Also I see why he'd been hating Brooks so much back then. Brooks looked like a total moron at those press conferences, he deserved to get actually beat up for constantly getting on his nerves with dumb questions.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You don’t understand? Yes Brooks is a troll hack reporter, but Torts is an asshole himself clearly.

When two asses collide, there’s a lot of shit spewed. In the case of Torts vs Brooks, I’ll take the coach on that one for sure.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Also for as much as we like the Capitals and think they have a shot at repeating, the Metro is an extremely weak division and a little run of decent fortune could get the Jackets all the way to the ECF which would be huge for their franchise. They were maybe a goalpost or two away from winning their first round series last year and not much as changed between them and the Stanley Cup champions.

If they were in the Atlantic division then maybe it wouldn't make as much sense to go for it, but IMO the Metro is wide open.

IF CBJ gets in, there's a good chance it's as 8th seed. Hello, TBL!

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
One of the lead NHL writers for The Athletic picked Columbus in October to win the division, they've suffered no major injuries since Jones the week he made the prediction and added Duchene and Dzingel

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Flyers fans are anxious. Last night they started a pre-game thread for Wednesday's game against the Capitals and they're currently on page two. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad