League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Paper team. The monkey they carry is getting as heavy as the Caps playoff monkey got and they are trying to win one series
I agree but the team I actually fear is Toronto

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Too many conclusions being drawn in the last few posts based on tiny sample sizes.

It's at least 5 games too early to say whether the CBJ deadline acquisitions were a mistake. Give them a few games to get worked into the system.

And basing any long term expectation on that NYI-TOR game is ridiculous. It was one game in February in which all the emotional cues favored NYI.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Jackets have tons of talent if they can figure how to play as a team. It will be hard but they will be dangerous in the playoffs

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yoyo, just dropping to ask what was the turning point for Tom Wilson as a player?

Did he just have a sudden jump in development? Was he f***ing around earlier in his career?

I'm still holding out hope Virtanen can have a Tom Wilson-esque impact for us one day and it would be nice to know if Tom Wilson just decided to explode last playoffs or if he was just developing really gradually.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Why does everyone keep describing the Jackets as a tough out? They’ve literally never won a playoff series. And have they ever won a home playoff game? I’m not sure they have. They don’t scare me at all.
Pretty sure they have won at least 1 in 2014. MAF let in a ridiculously bad goal from far out, I believe it was Foligno's shot in OT.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Yoyo, just dropping to ask what was the turning point for Tom Wilson as a player?

Did he just have a sudden jump in development? Was he ****ing around earlier in his career?

I'm still holding out hope Virtanen can have a Tom Wilson-esque impact for us one day and it would be nice to know if Tom Wilson just decided to explode last playoffs or if he was just developing really gradually.

He’s slowly gotten better each season and made a significant jump in last calendar year. Built his game from skating and PK outwards. Was born a punishing hitter and fighter, added a lot to his game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Did he just have a sudden jump in development? Was he ****ing around earlier in his career?

As mentioned it seems like more of a long slow development path vs flipping a switch after working out one summer and chugging protein shakes. He seems to have added something to his game every year. The biggest difference maker would be improved skating in year 2 or 3. It let him hang on the D side of things, back checking, PK etc. Get yer boys skating top notch.

Its ironic because the summer he broke his ankle, was the year I seem to remember most as having his biggest bump up in speed. But I may be wrong...

With that increased speed, his fore checking became elite and notice was served on DMen who even just started coughing up the puck as he was nearby. It really was something I had never seen.

With the trust of coaches we saw him in more offensive roles, which featured parts of his game previously untapped. I think its safe to say he worked on the offensive side of his game extensively in off seasons. I will add there is a chance his rapid deployment to the NHL let him learn directly from Ovi and other mentors, which may be undervalued in his rise to studliness.

He seems a workout freak - he looks ripped in pics. Many NHL fighters traditionally bulk up and I think avoiding that helped him add agility as the skating got noticeably better.

His development is a great story for hockey that I hope our local beat reporters get documented before too long. For it will provide a nice blue print for many big kids with size trying to put it all together. It takes time but many NHL GMs just don't seem to have to patience nor ability to graduate his types to studdom in the modern skate fest NHL.

Time to dispatch our GM and try to land Virtanen.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why does everyone keep describing the Jackets as a tough out? They’ve literally never won a playoff series. And have they ever won a home playoff game? I’m not sure they have. They don’t scare me at all.

Yeah, I would love to play them, especially with the sieve Bobrovksy in net.

Whoever signs him long term will have to be really desperate.

Jackets have tons of talent if they can figure how to play as a team. It will be hard but they will be dangerous in the playoffs

All the talent in the world won't help Bob stop a puck. I still can't believe they went all in after watching him play all season.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Curious to see what happens tonight as the Jets visit Columbus. Another loss and collars tighten even further.

If they miss playoffs, I see their GM in this gif
giphy.gif

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

He played on the top line (centered by Backstrom) in spots over the years and been effective, gradually showing more skill, but he really started clicking with Kuznetsov starting last year in the Pens series, then he really became a focal point for the other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad