League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Salary isn't even a thing with this....they are all going to offer the same range. 11 to 13 per...7 compared to the 8 for the Isles. The money is the money. Its the fit.

It's just ridiculous parading these teams around to make pitches and ****. The whole thing is just too much for someone that hasnt done anything to this point.
The last time I said this, JT scored on Holtby like 3 minutes later but whatever: Tavares is the most overrated player in the NHL. Yeah, he’s had shit teammates on the Island, but that’s not the whole story. He’s just an absurdly over-hyped Ontario boy. He’s a good 1/2 C with some elite skill but I have never seen anything from him that says game breaker or difference maker. He just doesn’t scare me at all.

I am torn between wanting him to sign with another team so I can laugh at NYI fans now and wanting him to sign an 8-year, $13M AAV anchor deal with Brooklyn so I can laugh at NYI fans for the better part of the next decade. It’s a win-win I guess.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Bryan Rust just got $3.5M AAV from the Pens.

I know, different service time status and all that, But Wilson ain't coming in under $4.5M.

It'll be interesting when Wilson extends, and everyone on the mains (who think this is a good and fair deal) freaks out about overpayment for a plug.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Numbers don’t lie....he’s a career near PPG guy, probably just outside the elite level to date.....at best fringe....

That’s a valuable guy in a talent starved league....and easy to see why the people in charge in many franchises are eager to insert him into their nucleus.....he should produce more in a better situation.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Bryan Rust just got $3.5M AAV from the Pens.

I know, different service time status and all that, But Wilson ain't coming in under $4.5M.

It'll be interesting when Wilson extends, and everyone on the mains (who think this is a good and fair deal) freaks out about overpayment for a plug.
I was looking at Marcus Johansson numbers for Wilson, 4.5.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
But what on earth would lead any intelligent person to believe the Islanders are going to suddenly turn it all around and become a real contender?
Right. Lou and Barry are basically supposed to erase everything Tavares has experienced with the Isles over his entire career? The guy is in for a huge disappointment if he falls for that voodoo. Lou is well into the back 9 of his career arc, and the amount of coaching Barry will have to do to make the Isles respectable even with Tavares is pretty daunting.

If the choice is between the defence-less Isles and and the defence-less Maple Leafs, to me it's not even close. The Leafs have slogged through their years of dysfunction, and are at least out the other side of them. There's nothing to say that the Isles have done that. And the idea that Tavares is all there is that stands between the standard disaster that the Isles are now and a total f***ing goat rodeo - well that's an awful lot of pressure and responsibility to load on Tavares. If I'm him, I look to get my umpty-ump millions from a team that is already at least semi-functional, rather than from a team in which I'm the only thing that keeps them from being a total shitshow.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Alex Burrows on buyout waivers. Less than two years after they gave up Jonathan Dahlen for him.

Doesn't even save Ottawa any cap space because it's a 35+ contract, just saves Melnyk a little bit of real money.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Franchises that are a hot mess

Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Islanders
Carolina
Arizona (possibly emerging from hot mess-ness)
Edmonton (possibly re-entering hot mess-ness)

Franchises that may have bad years next year, but aren't necessarily hot messes

Detroit
Florida (they perenially float between this category and the hot mess category)
Rangers
Vancouver
Anaheim
Chicago

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
That would set the bar for Wilson for sure.

Doesn't have the career numbers Miller has...close in terms of playoffs stats and a Stanley Cup...but not quite. A year younger...and ton more PIMS.

5 x 5 for Wilson please.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Islanders
Carolina

Detroit
Rangers
Vancouver
Anaheim
Chicago

I would refute Carolina.....they have a lot of young talent, and made a pretty nice trade (depending on Fox joining them). They have had BAD Goatlending for a few years now, which has really hurt them. Grubauer would have made a nice difference for them. Now they may be stuck w Mazrek/Howard/Greiss/YUCK as guys to turn too.

Not a Hot Mess by any stretch. But will probably be bad.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would refute Carolina.....they have a lot of young talent, and made a pretty nice trade (depending on Fox joining them). They have had BAD Goatlending for a few years now, which has really hurt them. Grubauer would have made a nice difference for them. Now they may be stuck w Mazrek/Howard/Greiss/YUCK as guys to turn too.

Not a Hot Mess by any stretch. But will probably be bad.
Elias Lindholm not wanting to extend his contract with the Hurricanes and then their subsequent trade of Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton could turn out to be a certain degree of hot mess-ness. It was a win-now move, so let's see if they can win now.

Also their goaltending is a tire fire.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Islanders
Carolina

Detroit
Rangers
Vancouver
Anaheim
Chicago

Arizona has been patiently rebuilding and stockpiling young talent. Attendance will rise as the team gets more competitive.

I like the direction that team is headed. :)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
For me the thing with Wilson is term. I doubt he's getting more than 5M salary and there could be a point where NHL decides the hitting and fights should be gone (hypothetically). Also he could be less effective once he loses speed. So I'd sign him for mid term like 4-5 years. Not those crazy 8 year deals.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Elias Lindholm not wanting to extend his contract with the Hurricanes and then their subsequent trade of Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton could turn out to be a certain degree of hot mess-ness. It was a win-now move, so let's see if they can win now.

Also their goaltending is a tire fire.

That was my thinking. Dealing two of your lottery pick first-rounders within the last 5 years - coupled with long unresolved goal-tending issues and not being a playoff team since 2008-09 - is pretty symptomatic of hot mess-ness. Not to mention throwing Semin $35 million for 5 years in 2013 when most people knew he was on the verge of being broken and then having to buy him out two years later once they found out what most people knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad