League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I saw something on f'ing Twitter about him having some 77 page book put together that had a deep dive into each team he's thinking about joining.

I mean, I get it and all....but really? Come the f*** on man. You're good, but youre not that f***ing good. Just find a fit and make a decision for crying out loud.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I like that he's taking his time and possibly doing his due diligence.

It means he really might leave Gilligan's Isles thus leading me to laughing at their fanbase (hope Willy doesn't mind given he's part owner of their team).

7.8mil for Kuzy is looking like a great deal at the moment.

Reactions: searle

Jun 15, 2007
Wow, boy are you naive.

Way to miss the point completely.

So you expect Tavares to publicly pick a team and therefore expose to the entire world a team broke the rules by offering him a contract already?

He's not going to announce his decision until July 1 unless it's with the Isles.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Still believe that the deciding factor for him will both be salary and how far the team is away from the SC.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
How can he pick a team if he can't even hear what their contract offer is?

Way to miss the point completely.

So you expect Tavares to publicly pick a team and therefore expose to the entire world a team broke the rules by offering him a contract already?

He's not going to announce his decision until July 1 unless it's with the Isles.
They can talk general parameters but not officially put forth an offer or sign anything. So each team gets to say hey John, we like you playing with this guy and this guy on our top line, we will give you captaincy and here is the number of our favorite realtor. BTW we are thinking about 7 years and 11 million for you. Thanks for meeting with us.

He can absolutely make a decision on destination based on this, he may not announce it of course.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Salary isn't even a thing with this....they are all going to offer the same range. 11 to 13 per...7 compared to the 8 for the Isles. The money is the money. Its the fit.

It's just ridiculous parading these teams around to make pitches and shit. The whole thing is just too much for someone that hasnt done anything to this point.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve never understood why he’s a C. He’s a purer shooter than Ovie.

Yep, and is probably at the root of his playoff futility - he is not being used correctly. The power plays dry up in the big games, and he becomes MIA. Too much defensive responsibilities to boot.

Jun 15, 2007
I wonder if Ovechkin winning a cup influences Tavares to stay.

A cup win is a cup win but winning one as the captain and face of the hard luck franchise that drafted you and you've played your entire career with is probably the sweetest win right?

All that adulation and praise showered on Ovechkin. Tavares might want that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I honestly dont care. I guess on the surface, I'd rather he stay in LI than go to say TB or TOR or BOS. SJS would be fun as they are my 2nd team (distant....oh so distant), and would be able to see him more out here.

But honestly, I dont much care what he does.....at all.

Man, winning the Cup sure changes ones outlook. The overall angst towards all things hockey is gone. Totally deleted. It's so freeing, in that sense.

Let other teams do what they want, it doesnt really impact us. I now believe we can beat anyone as it is, no matter what the other teams attempt to do. Sure, Pittsburgh will always scare me. Always. So I will watch what they do more closely than anyone outside DC. But the rest are way back on the radar.

It's good to be the King.:popcorn::thumbu:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Still believe that the deciding factor for him will both be salary and how far the team is away from the SC.

As it should be. He’s essentially been a loser his whole pro career.

I don’t begrudge the guy one bit for doing his due diligence. That’s petty as f*** IMO to sweat the guy for that from my POV. Biggest decision of his professional and personal lives....

I’d love to believe he’s going to pick the team that can offer him financial security AND and a REAL chance to challenge for a Cup, but the cynic in me says he’ll end up taking the $ to stay with the Islanders.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if Ovechkin winning a cup influences Tavares to stay.

A cup win is a cup win but winning one as the captain and face of the hard luck franchise that drafted you and you've played your entire career with is probably the sweetest win right?

All that adulation and praise showered on Ovechkin. Tavares might want that.

But what on earth would lead any intelligent person to believe the Islanders are going to suddenly turn it all around and become a real contender?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
As it should be. He’s essentially been a loser his whole pro career.

I don’t begrudge the guy one bit for doing his due diligence. That’s petty as **** IMO to sweat the guy for that from my POV.

I’d love to believe he’s going to pick the team that can offer him financial security AND and a REAL chance to challenge for a Cup, but the cynic in me says he’ll end up taking the $ to stay with the Islanders.
To me just based on being closest to winning the Cup would be:
- Tampa Bay
- Nashville
- Tie between Boston, Toronto and San Jose
- Dallas
- Islanders

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I want Tavares to go to the smallest media market possible, preferably in a non-traditional market. The Canadian media would freak if he went to a sunbelt team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To me just based on being closest to winning the Cup would be:
- Tampa Bay
- Nashville
- Tie between Boston, Toronto and San Jose
- Dallas
- Islanders

Admittedly I haven’t followed this closely....I just don’t care...(it’s good to be king!).....what’s the AAV number being kicked around and can any of these other guys get in the ballpark?

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad