League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Wouldn't at all mind seeing him go to SJS and them getting over the hump the next couple years.
I really don't think he's any better than Thornton was.

I don't know why a guy that's never broken 40 goals or 90 points is regarded as one of the elite players in the game. He's not. It's got to be the Canadian thing.

Reactions: calicapsfan

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Nashville was another team mentioned on XM this morning.

Current cap situation for the teams involved.
- Islanders = +32.7
- Toronto = +24.6
- Dallas = +19.8
- San Jose = +18.8
- Nashville = +12
- Boston = + 11.9
- Tampa Bay = +10.5

Besides the money would have to think which team has a good chance to win the SC in the near future. Tampa Bay would have to move out some contracts, i.e. Tyler Johnson who's NTC kicks in on July 1, So would Boston, i.e. David Krecji

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I really don't think he's any better than Thornton was.

I don't know why a guy that's never broken 40 goals or 90 points is regarded as one of the elite players in the game. He's not. It's got to be the Canadian thing.
It's a Canadian thing and a former #1 overall thing and a weak free agency thing. The second-best UFA is...JVR?

The Sharks also probably need one more quality defender and will need to extend Pavelski & Couture after next season. Still, I think it'd be a good fit around him.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Some things never change. McPhee recently on possible FA signings:

"You just never know with these things and whether we'll do anything at all or do something," McPhee said. "You're sort of venturing into an area where there's all kinds of things going on and you don't know how it's going to go. There's no urgency for us to do anything. We like the team we have, we like the model we have. If we can make it better by doing something that makes sense, then we'll do it."

https://www.tsn.ca/carlson-signing-is-first-domino-to-fall-in-nhl-free-agency-1.1122076

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Some things never change. McPhee recently on possible FA signings:

"You just never know with these things and whether we'll do anything at all or do something," McPhee said. "You're sort of venturing into an area where there's all kinds of things going on and you don't know how it's going to go. There's no urgency for us to do anything. We like the team we have, we like the model we have. If we can make it better by doing something that makes sense, then we'll do it."

https://www.tsn.ca/carlson-signing-is-first-domino-to-fall-in-nhl-free-agency-1.1122076
Wow. Maybe he’s just a bot after all.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The funny thing is that probably a bunch of owners will consider McPhee to be a genius for the rest of his career. "The visionary GM who engineered the two Cup finalists of 2018"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Really perplexed by Boston and Tampa being that interested in Tavares. Boston already has Bergeron/Krejci/Backes down the middle, although I suppose there have been some rumors about them gauging trade interest for Krejci. Tampa is loaded down the middle with Stamkos/Point/Johnson and has some pretty significant salary problems looming in the near future with Kucherov and Point being one year away from significant raises.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Really perplexed by Boston and Tampa being that interested in Tavares. Boston already has Bergeron/Krejci/Backes down the middle, although I suppose there have been some rumors about them gauging trade interest for Krejci. Tampa is loaded down the middle with Stamkos/Point/Johnson and has some pretty significant salary problems looming in the near future with Kucherov and Point being one year away from significant raises.
Backes plays RW for the Bruins, and I think there were already some recent rumors they might move Krejci.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One of the rumor guys posted the Leafs offered JT 15.9 for one year and then get him signed long term next year. :laugh:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Agreed. It may be a way to simply drive up his price to return to NYI. More people "interested", more coin the Isles have to put out there.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Would kinda stink if Tavares leaves, the Isles are trending up but it could very well be too little too late. Poor guy's career was wasted due to Wang's ownership, Snow's management, and subpar - inexperienced coaching by Weight and Capuano, and the drama with relocation and arena issues.
He wasn't surrounded by great players or linemates for that matter, no offense to Parenteau, Moulson, etc., and when he finally did get a higher skilled winger in Vanek, the guy doesn't want to
play there, gets traded. Can't blame Tavares if he wants to leave, but hope he re-signs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I’ve never understood why he’s a C. He’s a purer shooter than Ovie.
That's a pretty outdated opinion of Stamkos. He's morphed into a playmaker, especially at even-strength.

Kuznetsov had 56 assists this year, only 33 of them at even-strength. Stamkos had 59 assists this year, 41 at even-strenth. That even-strength number was tied for the second highest in the league (trailing on McDavid). Meanwhile, 15 of Stamkos' 27 goals came on the powerplay. He's only really a triggerman on the powerplay at this point, and is functioning as a puck distributor 5-on-5.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's a pretty outdated opinion of Stamkos. He's morphed into a playmaker, especially at even-strength.

Kuznetsov had 56 assists this year, only 33 of them at even-strength. Stamkos had 59 assists this year, 41 at even-strenth. That even-strength number was tied for the second highest in the league (trailing on McDavid). Meanwhile, 15 of Stamkos' 27 goals came on the powerplay. He's only really a triggerman on the powerplay at this point, and is functioning as a puck distributor 5-on-5.
Fair enough. I don't watch the Bolts hardly at all anymore since they're out of our division. And my (I guess, obsolete) view of him was surely confirmed by the ECF this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad