League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Hossa, Hinostroza, Oesterle, 2019 3rd for Kruger, Entwistle, Maletta, Campbell, 2019 5th

I don't think that's a great return for Arizona doing Chicago that massive favour.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You just spent basically the entire last season, until the playoffs, getting in jabs on Ovechkin and how you think Backstrom is more important to the Caps and how Kopitar and Bergeron and Toews types are more important to their teams.

My personal favorite was this one:

View attachment 129519
What exactly was wrong with this post. I stated that when Backstrom isn't scoring he isn't a liability. He still does other things to help the team. The statement us 100% accurate. I really have no idea what you are getting at. Sounds like you are trying to start an argument out of nothing.
And yes I do think Backstrom is our best all around player.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Arizona gets an nhl forward and an nhl defender
They also get rid of Kruger's contract. He became rather redundant once they brought Richarson back (if he was in their plans at all). Hinostroza also gives them another right shot. They only really had two in Stepan & Fischer. They finished the season well and could be pretty good if Galchenyuk can turn it around at center with them. Chicago does benefit greatly from this but a bit less so in taking Kruger back and Arizona is likely more concerned with improving their depth and getting a bit better regardless.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Holtby at 9%
Thomas at 9%
Fleury at 9%
Crawford at 9%
Quick at 10%

at the time of signing.

So if Holtby's next contract is 9% at time of signing, that would be around 7.5-8m. 10% would be 8.5-9m.

But it's important to note that none of those goalies had actually won anything when they signed. Holtby will be the most decorated one of all, so I can't see him settling for less than 10%.
Tim Thomas had a Vezina and a Jennings at the time of his signing.
Marc-Andre had a cup appearance the year before his signing (assuming you are talking about his 08/09 contract) if not add a Cup.
Corey Crawford had a Cup and a Jennings before his signing.
Jonathan Quick had a Cup, a Conn Smythe and a Vezina runner-up before his contract.

So they had won some stuff.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Tim Thomas had a Vezina and a Jennings at the time of his signing.
Marc-Andre had a cup appearance the year before his signing (assuming you are talking about his 08/09 contract) if not add a Cup.
Corey Crawford had a Cup and a Jennings before his signing.
Jonathan Quick had a Cup, a Conn Smythe and a Vezina runner-up before his contract.

So they had won some stuff.

I’d say they had. Lol.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
How on Earth is Ovechkin's contract not a value contract?

How much less do we think the best goalscorer in the world should get?

It wasn't value because of the number of years he has spent at or near the top of the Cap hit list. He signed a massive contract right about the time every other massive contract had phony years tacked in the end.

This caused other top end contacts to have a depressed cap hit when compared to OVs contract.

HE HAS EARNED HIS CONTRACT - no doubt about it. But it hasn't been a value contract. Hes been paid like a top player (with corresponding cap hit), which has been fair because he has been.

EDIT: I'm assuming value = a really good deal. You may mean = market value. If later, then I agree :)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It wasn't value because of the number of years he has spent at or near the top of the Cap hit list. He signed a massive contract right about the time every other massive contract had phony years tacked in the end.

This caused other top end contacts to have a depressed cap hit when compared to OVs contract.

HE HAS EARNED HIS CONTRACT - no doubt about it. But it hasn't been a value contract. Hes been paid like a top player (with corresponding cap hit), which has been fair because he has been.

EDIT: I'm assuming value = a really good deal. You may mean = market value. If later, then I agree :)

Leonsis bought the Caps for $85 million. It’s now valued valued somewhere north of $625 mil, around 11th most valuable in the league according to Forbes, only to go up after a Cup.

If that’s not “value”.....don’t know what to say....That’s largely on the back of #8.

I know you’re probably ONLY thinking production vs cap hit, but any discussion about the “worth” or “value” of Ovy over the life of the contract just seems dumb if it’s trying to be discussed negatively. He’s human. We all have ups and downs. I bet Ted signs that same deal 100/100 times if he had a time machine.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
Leonsis bought the Caps for $85 million. It’s now valued valued somewhere north of $625 mil, around 11th most valuable in the league according to Forbes, only to go up after a Cup.

If that’s not “value”.....don’t know what to say....That’s largely on the back of #8.

I know you’re probably ONLY thinkin production vs cap hit, but any discussion about the “worth” or “value” of Ovy over the life of the contract just seems dumb if it’s trying to be duscissed negatively. He’s human. We all have ups and downs. I bet Ted signs that same deal 100/100 times if he had a time machine.

But if someone is talking about on ice value relative to cap hit, as I was, and as discobob is, why talk about value to the franchise? No one is disputing that part. You're not even debating the point, just talking about something else.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But if someone is talking about on ice value relative to cap hit, as I was, and as discobob is, why talk about value to the franchise? No one is disputing that part. You're not even debating the point, just talking about something else.

Nope I’m saying it’s f***ing stupid for any Caps fans to give two shits about a few off years over the length of the best career any Capital has ever had.

I find it ill-timed, disrespectful and distasteful at this point and time personally.

Jun 15, 2007
Nope I’m saying it’s ****ing stupid for any Caps fans to give two ****s about a few off years over the length of the best career any Capital has ever had.

I find it ill-timed, disrespectful and distasteful at this point and time personally.

I totally disagree with you. Ill-timed? There's literally no better timing because now we've won a cup so it doesn't matter at all anymore. It's just academic now.

It's an anonymous online message board. There's nothing disrespectful about saying Ovechkin's on ice play in 2012 was not worth what the team was paying him. It doesn't stop Ovechkin from being my all time favourite player ever.

Jun 15, 2007
Fleury signs 3x7.

No Vezina and 1 cup as a starter. Reputation as a playoff choker. 5 years older than Holtby.

Holtby is gonna get paid.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury signs 3x7.

No Vezina and 1 cup as a starter. Reputation as a playoff choker. 5 years older than Holtby.

Holtby is gonna get paid.

2 years is f***ing forever in pro sports. Caps won’t be paying him some absurd long term deal. If he wants 2 years at a $8 mil, maybe the Caps will be desperate enough to pay him that at best if the young guys crap out the next 2 years.

Jun 15, 2007
2 years is ****ing forever in pro sports. Caps won’t be paying him some absurd long term deal. If he wants 2 years at a $8 mil, maybe the Caps will be desperate enough to pay him that at best if the young guys crap out the next 2 years.

Well as I said before, I think Holtby walks because the Caps won't give him the term or the AAV he will want (and probably deserves). There's just no way a goalie of Holtby's calibre accepts a 2 year deal. Fleury at 33 got 3. Holtby will only be 30 and will have a lot of prime years left.

It's unfortunate for us because in 2 years Samsonov will probably still be unproven. Those are the breaks though.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well as I said before, I think Holtby walks because the Caps won't give him the term or the AAV he will want (and probably deserves). There's just no way a goalie of Holtby's calibre accepts a 2 year deal. Fleury at 33 got 3. Holtby will only be 30 and will have a lot of prime years left.

It's unfortunate for us because in 2 years Samsonov will probably still be unproven. Those are the breaks though.

I think CCF’s point is that we need to wait and see where things are in 2yrs, before handwringing over this today.

And he’s right. Sure. We can talk about it, obviously....but it’s such and down the line issue, it’s seems more finding something to worry about, than an actual worry.

Least, from where I sit.

Caps may sign a guy like Lehtonen to be a cheap back up. Samsanov may tear up the AHL. Holtby could get hurt in Feb for 10 games, and Samsanov could take the job for good.

We just don’t know.

Or we could have Copley backing up and looking like dog poop. And need someone.

Let it play out.

Holts could also regress again. Become the last 30games 0f 2018 Holts. Then what? What he’s making 3yrs from now will assuredly NOT be our primary concern.

Jun 15, 2007
I think CCF’s point is that we need to wait and see where things are in 2yrs, before handwringing over this today.

And he’s right. Sure. We can talk about it, obviously....but it’s such and down the line issue, it’s seems more finding something to worry about, than an actual worry.

Least, from where I sit.

Caps may sign a guy like Lehtonen to be a cheap back up. Samsanov may tear up the AHL. Holtby could get hurt in Feb for 10 games, and Samsanov could take the job for good.

We just don’t know.

Or we could have Copley backing up and looking like dog poop. And need someone.

Let it play out.

Holts could also regress again. Become the last 30games 0f 2018 Holts. Then what? What he’s making 3yrs from now will assuredly NOT be our primary concern.

1) There's literally nothing else to talk about. It's summer.

2) Holtby could sign an extension as soon as next season actually. Probably won't though

3) I think even if Holtby regresses, he gets paid. GMs seem to not care if proven elite players have off years.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would bet on Holtby staying. He's big part of the team. I think he wants to stay as much as Carlson and be good while doing so. And win more.

The price? Why would we question the price GMBM will name? Especially 2 years from that time. No productive discussion.

Jun 15, 2007
Lindholm is apparently going to sign a 5x5 in Calgary.

He's never scored more than 50 points but seems like he could score more but just hasn't. Perfect Burakovsky comparable.

I didn't even think Burakovsky was bringing much for 3m.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Don't give goalies crazy term. It almost never works out. Learn the lessons of DiPietro, Price, Lundqvist, Schneider, and Crawford.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I'm not going to worry about Holtby until he is a FA, we have no idea what the team will look like in two years. I do agree that I'd not give him anything over his current cap hit right now, I just don't think it is worth it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm far less concerned with overpaying salary for a quality starting goaltender than being locked into a long contract with a subpar starting goaltender. Almost no long-term goalie deal lasts the test of time.

Reactions: Raikkonen

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
1) There's literally nothing else to talk about. It's summer.

2) Holtby could sign an extension as soon as next season actually. Probably won't though

3) I think even if Holtby regresses, he gets paid. GMs seem to not care if proven elite players have off years.
It is very difficult to measure what a goaltender is worth. So much depends on how the team is playing in front of him. Statistically Carey Price was one of the worst goalies this season but realistically we all know he is better than that. The team was bad in front of him.
The team didnt always play well in front of Holtby this year. So who knows what his value is.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well the honeymoon lasted a week or two and, as expected, it's back to business as usual following the Cup.

Many said if we won the Cup people would complain about the parade route. They were close (beer quality).

Never change.

Hadn't looked at these boards in over a week since I was on vacation. I think I'll go back to not checking them out until the season starts. Woof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad