Pre-Game Talk: 2018-19 NHL Playoffs: Potential 1st Round Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Haven’t played this version of Columbus with basically a brand new 2nd line.

The Lightning will win but I do fear a longer series that will take its toll against a heavy team.

So it’s likely.....
Columbus
Bruins
Caps
SCF

Brutal. Screw the NHL and it’s format

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

The Lightning will win but I do fear a longer series that will take its toll against a heavy team.

So it’s likely.....
Columbus
Bruins
Caps
SCF

We'll play the most improved team after the TDL (CBJ) and the two best teams in our conference (WSH, BOS) with one of them being the reigning SC champs as a reward for our historical season. Seems only fair. :sarcasm:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
We'll play the most improved team after the TDL (CBJ) and the two best teams in our conference (WSH, BOS) with one of them being the reigning SC champs as a reward for our historical season. Seems only fair. :sarcasm:
Boston and Washington should be playing in round 2. They are probably the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the NHL this year.

LG Wings

Apr 3, 2019

So it’s likely.....
Columbus
Bruins
Caps
SCF

Columbus will be a tough first round draw. Their building gets pretty intense for the playoffs. Caps survived it last year though.

I agree on the format in second round though. Never been a fan of the set bracket vs re-shuffling based on seed. Have to beat one of the Caps or Bruins most likely to win the east but seeing both under the current system isn’t much of a reward for the Presidents trophy

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If there's a team I feel we've dominated at times and absolutely obliterated over the past couple years it's Columbus. They've still struggled and not entirely got it together with their new pieces. Dangerous team but if we are worried about them then when we play Boston or Washington, are we going to melt down on here? If we don't beat them, we've clearly beaten ourselves again. Washington was like an inch away from being down 3-0 against them last year and they got past them. We are just as good and have the ability to beat them. Believe people.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We must have faith in the Leafs, friends because we know 1st overall in the NHL vs 3rd overall in the NHL absolutely MUST happen in the 2nd round because RiVaLrIeS

I pray we absolutely f***ing curb stomp everyone en router to a Cup so blood of a precious original 6 team is on their hands again by the 2nd round. Maybe THAT will wake them up

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
There is no easy path to "The Cup" and getting those 16 wins is all that matters. During most playoffs, there's a surprise team rises above expectations, a team existing earlier that they should, and one team that does what's needed to win it all. Last year, the team that wouldn't be denied was the Caps, and they had to beat Columbus, Pittsburgh, and the Lightning to reach the finals. Then the Caps got a hot expansion team (Vegas) that thought they were destined to win it all last year. Not an easy road at all (Especially Eastern path) but the Caps answered that call with attitude to boot. This Lightning team needs that same "won’t be denied attitude" these playoffs. No matter who, no matter where, no matter how, the Lightning has to show they won't be denied "The Cup"

Every “Stanley Cup Champion” has gone through hell & back to win it. The NHL playoffs are the toughest playoffs within sports without question and they sure get the butterflies churning like crazy. Buckle-up, it’s almost showtime…..

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There is no easy path to "The Cup" and getting those 16 wins is all that matters. During most playoffs, there's a surprise team rises above expectations, a team existing earlier that they should, and one team that does what's needed to win it all. Last year, the team that wouldn't be denied was the Caps, and they had to beat Columbus, Pittsburgh, and the Lightning to reach the finals. Then the Caps got a hot expansion team (Vegas) that thought they were destined to win it all last year. Not an easy road at all (Especially Eastern path) but the Caps answered that call with attitude to boot. This Lightning team needs that same "won’t be denied attitude" these playoffs. No matter who, no matter where, no matter how, the Lightning has to show they won't be denied "The Cup"

Every “Stanley Cup Champion” has gone through hell & back to win it. The NHL playoffs are the toughest playoffs within sports without question and they sure get the butterflies churning like crazy. Buckle-up, it’s almost showtime…..
Some are easier than others. If we had the path to the ECF in 16 that we had in 15, we wouldn't have made it out of round 1.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
My point is to win "The Cup" you're going to have to beat 4 solid NHL clubs no matter what. More than not, we're talking about 8-12 points or less separating playoff seeds and this is maybe a few lucky bounces, crossbars, injuries, and other timing moments during regular season that created those point differences

Pitts last two "Cup" runs
Rangers, Caps, Lightning, and Sharks in finals
Columbus, Caps, Ottawa, and Nashville in finals

More than not, the Cup winner has to beat 4 solid hockey clubs no matter who that might be. Pittsburgh & Washington playoff runs show the champion had to beat 4 solid NHL teams to win "The Cup" and the Lightning will have to do the same if they want one. So it's best not to worry about things you can't control and I'm hoping this Lightning team is only worried about things they can control. Their play!!!! For any team, you beat whoever is put in front of you and any team or fan that thinks match-ups will determine their chances, they've lost before the playoffs started. The mental part of the game is an important part of the game in the playoffs, and in my opinion, this one of the biggest humps the Lightning have to overcome to reach the promised land.

No matter WHO, no matter WHERE, no matter HOW, we won't be denied!!!!
This needs to be the Lightning motto these playoffs

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I reeeeeeeeeeally would have preferred Carolina or Montreal.

Columbus is a heavy team to play first round, this'll be a physical battle. They have a lot of underrated skill too. And while Bob has been pretty bad in the playoffs, I never write off a goalie with his skill. I was hoping they'd get matched up with the Caps.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I reeeeeeeeeeally would have preferred Carolina or Montreal.

Columbus is a heavy team to play first round, this'll be a physical battle. They have a lot of underrated skill too. And while Bob has been pretty bad in the playoffs, I never write off a goalie with his skill. I was hoping they'd get matched up with the Caps.
Nothing set here. All three options still on the table.

Columbus wins out and Carolina loses, Columbus is WC1.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I saw mention of Game 1 being Wednesday. Is that speculation or any meat behind it?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I feel like this is where "on paper" really applies: to CBJ. Aside from one decent streak, have they even been that good since the TDL?

My only worry is the series getting heated, leading to injuries.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Columbus will be a tough first round draw. Their building gets pretty intense for the playoffs. Caps survived it last year though.

I agree on the format in second round though. Never been a fan of the set bracket vs re-shuffling based on seed. Have to beat one of the Caps or Bruins most likely to win the east but seeing both under the current system isn’t much of a reward for the Presidents trophy

Meh, I find it hard to gin up much concern that we could see Columbus-Boston-Washington when we "deserve" to see Columbus-Toronto-Boston.

I mean, yeah, beating the Leafs would be fun... but beating the Caps will be even more fun. If we want to win the Cup, we need everyone else to lose. Might as well be to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad