Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
:sc09:

2018-19 NHL PLAYOFFS
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
POTENTIAL FIRST ROUND MATCHUPS

With 9 games remaining we have clinched a playoff spot, the division title, the conference title and the Presidents' Trophy for 1st team in the league.
Might as well look forward to the playoffs and discuss our potential 1st round matchup:

:cbj

As it stands today we would face the Columbus Blue Jackets. They acquired Duchene, Dzingel and McQuaid at the trade deadline and opted to not trade both Panarin and Bobrovsky. On paper (heh) they got better and it looked like they went all in for this season. A risky strategy and unfortunately for them they are 5-4-1 in their last ten games. Duchene has only 3 goals and 6 points in 16 games for the CBJ, Dzingel 1 goal and 6 points in 11 games. Panarin has only 2 assists for 2 points in his last 7 games.

:habs

Therefore the Montreal Canadiens could still jump Columbus to lock up the 2nd wild card spot for themselves. They are currently just 3 points behind the CBJ, both teams have played 72 games so far. The Habs are struggling themselves though, with a 4-6-0 record in their last ten. They added Thompson and Weal at the TDL, arguably just sidegrades though.

:canes

Provided the CBJ figure it out and go on a tear in the upcoming games, the Carolina Hurricanes could still fall from the 1st wild card spot to the 2nd. They are currently 1 point ahead of Columbus with one game in hand. They are on a tear right now though with a 7-2-1 in their last ten games. They could very well jump the Penguins who are currently 3 points ahead with 1 more game and push them down to the 1st wild card spot. They were rumored to be sellers at the TDL but decided to keep both Ferland and Williams.

:pens

The Pittsburgh Penguins are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games and with 1 more game played they sit 3 points ahead of Carolina in the Metropolitan Division's 3rd place. They acquired Gudbranson at the trade deadline. Malkin got injured on March 16 and they're without Maatta (IR) right now. Carolina could jump them and if Columbus get out of their funk the Penguins might fall to the 2nd wild card spot.

:flyers

This one is a dark horse but we should never count out the Philadelphia Flyers. They usually get hot in the final stretch of the regular season and are currently 6 points behind the 2nd wild card spot. In their last ten games they are 6-3-1. They lost Simmonds at the TDL but as of now that's more of an upgrade than a downgrade.

Last edited:

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
We would annihilate the Blue Jackets. What did the Lightning do? Our score them 18-3 this season? And that was with Columbus getting a garbage time goal in the last game. Yeah, yeah, regular season, but the Bolts own Bob. Would be an easy sweep.

Reactions: little BiG

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
On paper The Blue Jackets are the best team so I’d rather not face them. If everything goes right for them they could upset us. Whereas even if the habs or the Hurricanes play absolutely perfectly I can’t see them beating us.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Unfortunately the Pens are still a possibility, especially with Malkin hurt again. Hope they keep winning!

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I'd rather not play Columbus. I think we'd still win, but they play that physical brand of hockey that I'm not too keen to see so early into the playoffs.

They have some sneaky good talent on that team too.

Reactions: berlin

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Rather get Carolina or Montreal. None of the first round opponents really scare me. Pittsburgh might if we have to play them but they have been an inconsistent team this year. We would probably beat them in a 7 game series. Would be closer than the others I think though.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not keen on a PIT matchup simply out of the respect of this being their last hurrah with a lot of these players. Unless JR guts the defense a big fish like Kessel or Hornqvist is probably going. Or someone like Rust and he's been one of their better players this year.

They have less than $1 million in cap and only 16 players signed next year. I think they're smart enough to know it and it might motivate them or mess with them like it did to us a few years back

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Carolina is probably the scariest of the possibilities, but even then I am not worried about their goaltending in particular. Columbus might still get it together and we havent played them since the additions so who knows. Montreal would need Price to steal it.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Don't mind either of the three. Columbus is the best on paper but we've taken their lunch money all year. Pittsburgh would have been our biggest threat, but they're likely Washington's problem now.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm not going to worry myself too much about the current possibilities because, well, you have to face someone in the first round; they don't let us have a bye after all. But, if I really had to choose, I would really like Montréal best. It would be a real shocker if they took us any further than five games. It's simply a matter of not having the talent to matchup whatsoever, with all due respect.

It wouldn't quite be like New Jersey last year, but it also wouldn't be far off.

From there, I probably have a slight preference to facing Carolina opposed to Columbus, just feel like Columbus has better high-end talent on their roster and that plays up in the postseason. As I have said before, though, Mrazek's playoff resumé against us is pretty decent, but in a pretty similar set of circumstances otherwise - trying to prop up an inferior team. To his credit, he nearly did that in 2015, but Babcock has a long proven track record of coaching excellence, while Brind'Amour is a rookie. Not a fair comparison.

Montréal > Carolina > Columbus > ok please lets not do this > Pittsburgh

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Habs win Philly, moving one point away from the 2nd wildcard spot, Columbus is tied with Calgary in the first period. Rooting hard for us to face the Habs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Carolina won in OT against Pitt. They’ve got a couple games in hand, I think they will end up 3rd in the Met or top WC. Columbus down 3-1 now, would leave them just a point up on MTL.

But MTLs schedule is brutal down the stretch. Much more manageable for the Jackets.

I think we’re on a collision course to play Columbus. That series has a WIDE range of possible results given Columbus new additions but lack of chemistry. Not to mention the Lightning own em.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Is it crazy that I want to go through Pitt, Boston, and Wash?

Nope. To truly be the best, you have to beat the best. :cool:

If we had an easy cruise to the ECF, people would always tsk-tsk and downplay our team as not reeeeeeally being worthy of the CUP. :rolleyes:

That being said, if we DID have one or two less demanding rounds, I certainly wouldn't complain. ;)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Our matchup as of today (Columbus) lost their last, Montreal won their last, Habs are 1 point behind the CBJ, both teams have 9 games left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad