Line Combos: 2018/19 Line Combinations

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
exactly.
Schaller and Leipsic just upped the ante for those 2.

If they can't play their way past those 2 at 24 and 22/23 then its time to look elsewhere for employment.

For FFS this team employs Gagner Granlund Gaunce Leipsic Schaller Roussel Sutter Eriksson. If you cant play your way on the team your probably not very good.

Players like Beagle and Roussel, possibly even Schaller and Granlund are likely going to get gifted spots on the team regardless of how poor they play.

Guaranteed that no matter how well Gaudette plays in camp, Beagle isn't getting cut over him. No matter how many times they say "if a young player impresses we'll make room for him", they've never done that and they've shown a constant reluctance to scratch veterans.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Ok...Here's my stab at it.

This is more of an "If I were in charge" situation... not a prediction.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Pettersson - Eriksson
Leipsic - Sutter - Goldobin
Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen
Schaller

Granlund/Gagner are traded/waived.

Edler - Gudbranson
Hughes - Tanev
Del Zotto - Stetcher
Pouliot-Hutton

Biega Waived.

Reactions: CDeM85

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Players like Beagle and Roussel, possibly even Schaller and Granlund are likely going to get gifted spots on the team regardless of how poor they play.

Guaranteed that no matter how well Gaudette plays in camp, Beagle isn't getting cut over him. No matter how many times they say "if a young player impresses we'll make room for him", they've never done that and they've shown a constant reluctance to scratch veterans.
Stecher,Hutton,Tryamkin,Virtanen and Boeser all eventually became NHL regulars...Which prospects have been blocked by vet players.?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

yes for sure they are thats why they signed them?

the team is marketing right now around Boeser Horvat Pettersson and Virtanen = 4

Sutter Eriksson Baertschi Beagle Roussel are locked in for 3-4yrs = 5 (say what you want, these guys have established themselves as decent NHLers in the proper roles)

Looking at 10-13 going forward:

Leipsic Granlund Goldobin Gaunce all are on 1 yr deals. Gagner Schaller are on 2

10 - Gagner - There was a rumor of him to Chicago for a 5th. Del Zotto last year was linked to Chicago also.....maybe both for a couple picks or a 2nd and futures??? Would like to see Goldobin get his spot this year.
11 - Schaller - could be an intersting piece. Gadjovich should be able to take his spot if he's any good as a pro in a couple years.
12 - Granlund - just my 2c but i think he grabs a spot because of his versatility and he gets this year to prove himself. If he plays like last year he goes. Gaudette grabs his spot i he's any good
13 - Leipsic - I think he breaks out this year. Green knows how to use him and he could flourish along side of Horvat imo. Has agitator qualities ala Marchand. If he's bad at camp then Goldobin or Gaunce have a spot. His 9pts in 14 games was pretty impressive but he needs to find a better 200ft game.

Goldobin - have to think he's gonna be in the KHL by the end of next season. Coasts around too much. Hopefully they move Granlund or Gagner and make room for a decent run at it here....well see. Absolute tire fire defensively and not exactly tearing it up offensively when you dont notice him for too many stretches. I like his skill too but he needs to be a plus overall. Hasn't been yet and a bad start this year will seal the deal. It wont be a loss if thats the case.
Gaunce - have to think he's done as a Canuck barring injuries. Hasn't established himself and he's 24 and is a black hole offensively without much toughness. If he's gone is that really a loss?

*Gaudette - starts in Utica and gets opportunities when injuries occur and will take Granlunds spot by seasons end. If he's really good Sutter can be moved as there was interest last year at the deadline
*Dahlen - starts in Utica and pushes down Eriksson, Baertschi or Leipsic if he can be the top6 we hope for. Best case he's dynamite with Pettersson and we have some scoring depth finally.

*Lind - probably plays the whole year in Utica. If he's ready at some pt next season he probably pushes out Gagner if he's still around.
*Gadjovich - he'll need a while to iron out his skating imo. Could be Schallers replacement in 2yrs if things go as they should

so bottom line your right Beagle and Roussel and Schaller were signed to play and play they will.

in the next cuple seasons though Dahlen Lind Gadjovich Gaudette have opportunities.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Stecher,Hutton,Tryamkin,Virtanen and Boeser all eventually became NHL regulars...Which prospects have been blocked by vet players.?
Chaput Gaunce Archibald Rodin Subban Jensen Shinkaruk Boucher Pedan Corrado Lack.

absolute joke these guys didn't get the chance.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
yes for sure they are thats why they signed them?

the team is marketing right now around Boeser Horvat Pettersson and Virtanen = 4

Sutter Eriksson Baertschi Beagle Roussel are locked in for 3-4yrs = 5 (say what you want, these guys have established themselves as decent NHLers in the proper roles)

Looking at 10-13 going forward:

Leipsic Granlund Goldobin Gaunce all are on 1 yr deals. Gagner Schaller are on 2

10 - Gagner - There was a rumor of him to Chicago for a 5th. Del Zotto last year was linked to Chicago also.....maybe both for a couple picks or a 2nd and futures??? Would like to see Goldobin get his spot this year.
11 - Schaller - could be an intersting piece. Gadjovich should be able to take his spot if he's any good as a pro in a couple years.
12 - Granlund - just my 2c but i think he grabs a spot because of his versatility and he gets this year to prove himself. If he plays like last year he goes. Gaudette grabs his spot i he's any good
13 - Leipsic - I think he breaks out this year. Green knows how to use him and he could flourish along side of Horvat imo. Has agitator qualities ala Marchand. If he's bad at camp then Goldobin or Gaunce have a spot. His 9pts in 14 games was pretty impressive but he needs to find a better 200ft game.

Goldobin - have to think he's gonna be in the KHL by the end of next season. Coasts around too much. Hopefully they move Granlund or Gagner and make room for a decent run at it here....well see. Absolute tire fire defensively and not exactly tearing it up offensively when you dont notice him for too many stretches. I like his skill too but he needs to be a plus overall. Hasn't been yet and a bad start this year will seal the deal. It wont be a loss if thats the case.
Gaunce - have to think he's done as a Canuck barring injuries. Hasn't established himself and he's 24 and is a black hole offensively without much toughness. If he's gone is that really a loss?

*Gaudette - starts in Utica and gets opportunities when injuries occur and will take Granlunds spot by seasons end. If he's really good Sutter can be moved as there was interest last year at the deadline
*Dahlen - starts in Utica and pushes down Eriksson, Baertschi or Leipsic if he can be the top6 we hope for. Best case he's dynamite with Pettersson and we have some scoring depth finally.

*Lind - probably plays the whole year in Utica. If he's ready at some pt next season he probably pushes out Gagner if he's still around.
*Gadjovich - he'll need a while to iron out his skating imo. Could be Schallers replacement in 2yrs if things go as they should

so bottom line your right Beagle and Roussel and Schaller were signed to play and play they will.

in the next cuple seasons though Dahlen Lind Gadjovich Gaudette have opportunities.

1. Why does Granlund lose his spot to Gaudette? As in, why can't they both be on the squad?

2. In your breakdown, you have Goldobin going off to the KHL at the end of the season. You don't have him on the main roster here. Where is he at the beginning of the season?

3. You have Gaunce waived without even getting a camp?

4. You have Gaudette starting in Utica before camp?

5. You hope Goldobin takes Gagner's spot, but yet you have Goldobin off the roster and Gagner on it?

The amusing part of this breakdown is that you have held the position that the veterans will not be blocking the prospects, yet you have 3 immediately waived before you have seen their camps. What is this if not proof that there is no room?

Last edited:

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
1. Why does Granlund lose his spot to Gaudette? As in, why can't they both be on the squad?

2. In your breakdown, you have Goldobin going off to the KHL at the end of the season. You don't have him on the main roster here. Where is he at the beginning of the season?

5. You hope Goldobin takes Gagner's spot, but yet you have Goldobin off the roster and Gagner on it?

The amusing part of this breakdown is that you have held the position that the veterans will not be blocking the prospects, yet you have 3 immediately waived before you've seen their camps. What is this if not proof that there is no room?
Logic alert, logic alert.........

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

The amusing part of this breakdown is that you have held the position that the veterans will not be blocking the prospects, yet you have 3 immediately waived before you have seen their camps. What is this if not proof that there is no room?
of course guys get camp to prove themselves?

It was just a depth chart as i see it if no roster changes happen before camp. As i said i would like Gagner to get moved so Goldobin could get a long look even though i think he ends up in the KHL without big improvements.

i have Pettersson on the team and Leipsic with Goldobin if Gagner or Granlund go.

After that Dahlen and Gaudette start in Utica and Gaunce gets waived........ he's no longer a prospect.

the progressions were laid out.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
of course guys get camp to prove themselves?

It was just a depth chart as i see it if no roster changes happen before camp. As i said i would like Gagner to get moved so Goldobin could get a long look even though i think he ends up in the KHL without big improvements.

i have Pettersson on the team and Leipsic with Goldobin if Gagner or Granlund go.

After that Dahlen and Gaudette start in Utica and Gaunce gets waived........ he's no longer a prospect.

the progressions were laid out.

You are not factoring in camp because you already have Goldobin, Gaunce and Gaudette off the roster to get to 13 forwards. If they have a good camp, how are they making the roster? Which leads to the conclusion that there are not enough spots for them.

The way to prove that vets are not blocking prospects is to show a line-up that has the prospects in the line-up without any veteran moves having been made. (It can't be done)

Last, Gaunce is a prospect if you're treating Leipsic as a prospect. They are the same age.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You are not factoring in camp because you already have Goldobin, Gaunce and Gaudette off the roster to get to 13 forwards. If they have a good camp, how are they making the roster? Which leads to the conclusion that there are not enough spots for them.

The way to prove that vets are not blocking prospects is to show a line-up that has the prospects in the line-up without any veteran moves having been made. (It can't be done)

Last, Gaunce is a prospect if you're treating Leipsic as a prospect. They are the same age.
jesus.

You would hope at some point the team would have enough decent players that guys who cant make any kind of discernable impact before waivers are moved on from.

A birth certificate is not proof of a player being better than a vet.

Horvat Boeser Virtanen McCann Stecher Hutton all prove your theory wrong and furthermore Granlund Pouliot Baertschi also as they were younger than Gaunce Leipsic when we first got them.

If you're seriously worried about Goldobin Gaunce and Gaudette not being gifted a roster spot when they all have looked like they don't deserve one based on their play to date i don't know what to say. The fanbase here is funny. They complain that we ruin development on McCann and Virtanen and then in the same breath want Gaudette Dahlen Gaunce and Goldobin on the team when they simply have not been good enough or proven they can be (Dahlen) yet.

let me ask you this....Are you upset that veterans are blocking Derrick Pouliot?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
jesus.

You would hope at some point the team would have enough decent players that guys who cant make any kind of discernable impact before waivers are moved on from.

A birth certificate is not proof of a player being better than a vet.

Horvat Boeser Virtanen McCann Stecher Hutton all prove your theory wrong and furthermore Granlund Pouliot Baertschi also as they were younger than Gaunce Leipsic when we first got them.

If you're seriously worried about Goldobin Gaunce and Gaudette not being gifted a roster spot when they all have looked like they don't deserve one based on their play to date i don't know what to say. The fanbase here is funny. They complain that we ruin development on McCann and Virtanen and then in the same breath want Gaudette Dahlen Gaunce and Goldobin on the team when they simply have not been good enough or proven they can be (Dahlen) yet.

let me ask you this....Are you upset that veterans are blocking Derrick Pouliot?

Pouliot has an auto-pass to the Canucks roster. He will be one of the 2 spare dmen, at worst, along with Biega.

You’re describing a meritocracy that does not exist here. If Schaller/Beagle/Roussel flop, no one expects them to be waived/traded. They will be given NHL games to prove that camp wasn’t too short of a sample. Or, they will pass just due to their contracts alone. Where as the opposite is not true for the prospects. You have them being waived/sent down outright. This is because the roster is overloaded.

Can you show me what the roster is if Gaudette, Gaunce and Goldobin all show they are good enough to start the season? I think you mentioned that Granlund and Gagner would be traded. I’m assuming that Leipsic is the 3rd player? So we would be losing 2 prospects/young players and a vet to make room, correct? Do you think this is an appropriate action?

No matter how you manipulate the roster, some younger player is getting waived, or it forces a trade for a vet. Neither situation is ideal because the waived player is probably someone the team has invested in, or has recently traded for. It’s poor asset management. Further, the vet trade puts them in a poor position with a poor trading GM. Also not ideal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pouliot has an auto-pass to the Canucks roster. He will be one of the 2 spare dmen, at worst, along with Biega.

You’re describing a meritocracy that does not exist here. If Schaller/Beagle/Roussel flop, no one expects them to be waived/traded. They will be given NHL games to prove that camp wasn’t too short of a sample. Or, they will pass just due to their contracts alone. Where as the opposite is not true for the prospects. You have them being waived/sent down outright. This is because the roster is overloaded.

Can you show me what the roster is if Gaudette, Gaunce and Goldobin all show they are good enough to start the season? I think you mentioned that Granlund and Gagner would be traded. I’m assuming that Leipsic is the 3rd player? So we would be losing 2 prospects/young players and a vet to make room, correct? Do you think this is an appropriate action?

No matter how you manipulate the roster, some younger player is getting waived, or it forces a trade for a vet. Neither situation is ideal because the waived player is probably someone the team has invested in, or has recently traded for. It’s poor asset management. Further, the vet trade puts them in a poor position with a poor trading GM. Also not ideal.
I dont think anyone is safe on the left side except Edler if Hughes and Juolevi blew the doors off and even then they have to have the conversation about extension before the all time defensive scoring leader gets overlooked. Hutton was a massive disappointment, Pouliot costed a 4th, thats Zac Dalpe territory and Del Zotto is UFA. This management walked away from Linden Vey after a couple years and he cost a 2nd(50th).

Meritocracy always gets a little complicated when waivers, contracts and coach favorites is involved. It happens all the time. Leipsic and Pouliot former Winterhawks, Roussel Schaller and Beagle were part of Greens wish list this offseason. If your good you rise above it. As i said Horvat Boeser Virtanen Hutton Stecher and Tryamkin played their way aboard. Why would Gaunce or Gaudette or Goldobin or even Leipsic get gifted anything? None of them from the games i have watched looked like good options for a full time spot yet.

Horvat Goldobin Boeser
Pettersson Baertschi Eriksson
Sutter Roussel Beagle
Gaudette Leipsic Virtanen
Schaller

as isaid i think Gaunce has been replaced by Schaller and Roussel. I dont see anything other than injuries giving him an opportunity and i'm completely satisfied with a faster harder more in your face more productive player in his place. So yes appropriate.

I'm not sure what would happen aside from a substance abuse problem (not likely) that would change who Beagle Roussel and Schaller are as players? Do they really need a great camp to show what they are gonna bring? were talking 28-33yr old veterans who were targetted for very specific roles and ingredients.

Gaudette didn't look ready to me so if it takes a few months or a season it 's better that than overwhelming him in the show with scratches and sheltered usage, better top minutes in the AHL.

All these hypotheticals are dealing from a fully healthy scenario which almost never happens here. We led the league in forward man games lost the last 2 seasons.

558 man games lost at forward the last 2 years. (Thats having over 3 spots available for all 82 games) so odds would say opportunities you dont see right now will probably arise anyways.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I dont think anyone is safe on the left side except Edler if Hughes and Juolevi blew the doors off and even then they have to have the conversation about extension before the all time defensive scoring leader gets overlooked. Hutton was a massive disappointment, Pouliot costed a 4th, thats Zac Dalpe territory and Del Zotto is UFA. This management walked away from Linden Vey after a couple years and he cost a 2nd(50th).

Meritocracy always gets a little complicated when waivers, contracts and coach favorites is involved. It happens all the time. Leipsic and Pouliot former Winterhawks, Roussel Schaller and Beagle were part of Greens wish list this offseason. If your good you rise above it. As i said Horvat Boeser Virtanen Hutton Stecher and Tryamkin played their way aboard. Why would Gaunce or Gaudette or Goldobin or even Leipsic get gifted anything? None of them from the games i have watched looked like good options for a full time spot yet.

Horvat Goldobin Boeser
Pettersson Baertschi Eriksson
Sutter Roussel Beagle
Gaudette Leipsic Virtanen
Schaller

as isaid i think Gaunce has been replaced by Schaller and Roussel. I dont see anything other than injuries giving him an opportunity and i'm completely satisfied with a faster harder more in your face more productive player in his place. So yes appropriate.

I'm not sure what would happen aside from a substance abuse problem (not likely) that would change who Beagle Roussel and Schaller are as players? Do they really need a great camp to show what they are gonna bring? were talking 28-33yr old veterans who were targetted for very specific roles and ingredients.

Gaudette didn't look ready to me so if it takes a few months or a season it 's better that than overwhelming him in the show with scratches and sheltered usage, better top minutes in the AHL.

All these hypotheticals are dealing from a fully healthy scenario which almost never happens here. We led the league in forward man games lost the last 2 seasons.

558 man games lost at forward the last 2 years. (Thats having over 3 spots available for all 82 games) so odds would say opportunities you dont see right now will probably arise anyways.

I'm going to attempt to interpret your post here Sting101:

1. That they got rid of Pet Project Vey means that no one on the left side of the defense is safe, aside from Edler.

2. If you're good, you make it. Why would anyone be gifted anything?

3. You are OK with auto-waiving Gaunce prior to what he shows in camp.

4. Do Beagle, Schaller and/or Roussel even need a great camp to make onto the main roster?

5. Gaudette didn't look ready.

6. The roster is never fully healthy, so it's moot.

If I have that right, my responses are as follows:

1. Hughes isn't signed and Juolevi is injured. Really, there's 1 spot in flux for the D Corps and that depends upon a signing. Without it, the same top8 are set to return.

2. I asked if Gaudette, Goldobin and Gaunce outplay Schaller, Gagner, Beagle and/or Roussel, what happens then?

3. Are you saying it's appropriate to jettison Gaunce, or appropriate to jettison 2 prospects and a vet (Gagner)?

4. Beagle, Schaller and Roussel are all 4th liners. It's very possible 1 or more gets outplayed in camp. The bar is low.

5. Gaudette looked ready enough to be a 4C. He's 22 years old. Who unseats him as the 4C given the rotation is: Horvat, Sutter and Beagle?

6. Your last point is irrelevant. Banking on injuries to get under the roster limit is poor planning.

Sting, I honestly am surprised that you are holding fast to the thinking that players are not being blocked by these latest additions. They added 3 players to the top12 without removing anything. Simply logic tells us that they are overloaded. You've chosen instead to dismiss prospects outright or set up a false premise of their inadequacy in order to represent this as a status quo. It's weird.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Roussel - Pettersson - Virtanen
Eriksson - Sutter - Goldobin
Schaller - Beagle - Granlund
Leipsic

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Gudbranson - Del Zotto
Pouliot

Markstrom
Nilsson

What happens to Gagner, Gaunce, Gaudette and Biega here?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Pettersson-Gaudette-Eriksson
Roussell-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Leipsic
Granlund

Gagner traded.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Utica if possible based on contracts, waived/traded if not.

Gaudette being the obvious Utica eligible player and Biega being the only other player worth anything to the ORG at this point. Utica is a great fit for him.
It is really illogical to suggest trades as an option.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Trades are always an option... Benning being able to trade is another story which is why I have waived/traded.
Good thing when asked about his roster “crunch”, Benning showed his hand and talked about waiving our guys. Unless Dorian or Bergevin werent listening then no one will trade for our waiver players unlike Benning

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm going to attempt to interpret your post here Sting101:

1. That they got rid of Pet Project Vey means that no one on the left side of the defense is safe, aside from Edler.

2. If you're good, you make it. Why would anyone be gifted anything?

3. You are OK with auto-waiving Gaunce prior to what he shows in camp.

4. Do Beagle, Schaller and/or Roussel even need a great camp to make onto the main roster?

5. Gaudette didn't look ready.

6. The roster is never fully healthy, so it's moot.

If I have that right, my responses are as follows:

1. Hughes isn't signed and Juolevi is injured. Really, there's 1 spot in flux for the D Corps and that depends upon a signing. Without it, the same top8 are set to return.

2. I asked if Gaudette, Goldobin and Gaunce outplay Schaller, Gagner, Beagle and/or Roussel, what happens then?

3. Are you saying it's appropriate to jettison Gaunce, or appropriate to jettison 2 prospects and a vet (Gagner)?

4. Beagle, Schaller and Roussel are all 4th liners. It's very possible 1 or more gets outplayed in camp. The bar is low.

5. Gaudette looked ready enough to be a 4C. He's 22 years old. Who unseats him as the 4C given the rotation is: Horvat, Sutter and Beagle?

6. Your last point is irrelevant. Banking on injuries to get under the roster limit is poor planning.

Sting, I honestly am surprised that you are holding fast to the thinking that players are not being blocked by these latest additions. They added 3 players to the top12 without removing anything. Simply logic tells us that they are overloaded. You've chosen instead to dismiss prospects outright or set up a false premise of their inadequacy in order to represent this as a status quo. It's weird.
I don't believe you are being genuine.

It's all been layed out for ya.

Gaunce and Leipsic were not part of the prospect pool and are 24. Goldobin will be 23 this fall.. These players have had 3-4 years to break through and are still trying. I posted a couple rosters one with your concerns on the team minus Gaunce for good reason and another with the way i see it. all these were hypotheticals without injuries.

Injuries have seen us miss 3 roster players plus full time for the last 2 seasons and you say that "banking on injuries is poor planning"????. This site has had numerous posters rip Benning for his inability to have depth at his disposal and YOU say that is poor planning now.....how convenient?

I'm honestly surprised you are concerned with the potential that we have some depth and may have to cut the weakest links off a poor hockey team. Not only that what is weird is you saying we added 3 players without removing anything.......do H.Sedin D.Sedin J.Jokinen and Nic Dowd not count?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I don't believe you are being genuine.

It's all been layed out for ya.

Gaunce and Leipsic were not part of the prospect pool and are 24. Goldobin will be 23 this fall.. These players have had 3-4 years to break through and are still trying. I posted a couple rosters one with your concerns on the team minus Gaunce for good reason and another with the way i see it. all these were hypotheticals without injuries.

Injuries have seen us miss 3 roster players plus full time for the last 2 seasons and you say that "banking on injuries is poor planning"????. This site has had numerous posters rip Benning for his inability to have depth at his disposal and YOU say that is poor planning now.....how convenient?

I'm honestly surprised you are concerned with the potential that we have some depth and may have to cut the weakest links off a poor hockey team. Not only that what is weird is you saying we added 3 players without removing anything.......do H.Sedin D.Sedin J.Jokinen and Nic Dowd not count?
Jokinen and Dowd don’t count for anything and the Sedins were in the twilight of their careers and chose to leave...management had nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad