Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
My guess is Cammy retires and Dwight King stays in the KHL. Though King did struggle his first year in the KHL; he was just too damn slow.

Frolov put up some decent seasons in the KHL, played for a few teams; though I think he'd rather play for a league with less spotlight now.

I think King gets a PTO from someone. I could see Carolina thinking he could add some toughness to their lineup.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
NHL and quite a few teams (including our own/we all remember our trip their last preseason) have been pushing hard for Asia action/saturation.

Same for me, re:hearing of this league, but it isn’t surprising.

Wonder if they get paid in yen? ;)
paid exclusively in LG and samsung products and electronic bidets

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Going there probable the same reason some NHLers (or "not quite NHLers") head for Switzerland and Germany too--opportunity to see the world while playing the game you love. Would be really cool to play in Asia after playing in NA and Europe. Especially with a chance to build the game.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can't imagine he's getting paid much. Look at how many people are watching this game. You see the same amount of people at beer league games.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Going there probable the same reason some NHLers (or "not quite NHLers") head for Switzerland and Germany too--opportunity to see the world while playing the game you love. Would be really cool to play in Asia after playing in NA and Europe. Especially with a chance to build the game.
But the guys in the Swiss National League DEL get paid well.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I happen to believe the cops are talking in English to a lady that doesn't fully understand the language and unless there was a interrupter and from all accounts there wasn't I think the cops testimony has a lot of holes in it. Lets not pretend Marta knew fully what she was being asked as stated later her first language is Russian not english and she didnt fully understand the questions asked.
I wonder if this is the same interrupter that Donald uses.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

But the guys in the Swiss National League DEL get paid well.

The problem with those leagues DEF and NLA) is once you play in them your chances of returning to the NHL are pretty slim. You become a Steve Reinprecht, Matt Frattin, Dave Steckel, Brandon Segal. Your making good money, living in Switzerland, but the dream is dead. I'm guessing King went to the KHL because it's the 2nd best league in the world and the only one other than the AHL that has been able to consistently send guys back to the NHL. Unfortunately for King, the way the game is being played right now he probably doesn't have an NHL future.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The problem with those leagues DEF and NLA) is once you play in them your chances of returning to the NHL are pretty slim. You become a Steve Reinprecht, Matt Frattin, Dave Steckel, Brandon Segal. Your making good money, living in Switzerland, but the dream is dead. I'm guessing King went to the KHL because it's the 2nd best league in the world and the only one other than the AHL that has been able to consistently send guys back to the NHL. Unfortunately for King, the way the game is being played right now he probably doesn't have an NHL future.

I totally agree.

But if you're, say, Jeff Giuliano or thereabouts, it's probably better to have some stability and a good role in a Swiss league than bouncing around 4th lines in the NHL/AHL on two-way deals ad nauseum. It's pretty effectively NHL retirement except in some fringe/extreme cases.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
One of you jersey collectors should get a Frolov Killerwhale jersey, they look pretty sweet.

http://daemyungkillerwhales.com/home/

Here is the frolov announcement for those that can read Korean

http://daemyungkillerwhales.com/home/2018/07/23/k-news-대명-la킹스-에이스-알렉산더-프롤로프-영입-역대/
I own an old school Frolov CSKA Moscow Jersey; still trying to get a NY Jersey of him. But yeah those looks pretty sweet!

alexander-frolov-of-cska-moscow-skates-during-a-game-against-salavat-picture-id51767691

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
One of you jersey collectors should get a Frolov Killerwhale jersey, they look pretty sweet.

http://daemyungkillerwhales.com/home/

Here is the frolov announcement for those that can read Korean

http://daemyungkillerwhales.com/home/2018/07/23/k-news-대명-la킹스-에이스-알렉산더-프롤로프-영입-역대/
Some interesting connections with the Kings and South Korean hockey.
Scott "top prospect" Barney plays for Anyang Halla, another Korean team in the Asia League.
Andy Murray's daughter coached the South Korean women's national team in the Olympics. Andy Murray was also Frolov's old coach.
And Kevin Constantine will be Frolov's new coach with the Killerwhales.
EDIT: Oh, and Jim Paek coached the men's national team.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The problem with those leagues DEF and NLA) is once you play in them your chances of returning to the NHL are pretty slim. You become a Steve Reinprecht, Matt Frattin, Dave Steckel, Brandon Segal. Your making good money, living in Switzerland, but the dream is dead.
True, but playing in a league like DEL, NLA or SHL is a dream for most hockey players. I know it would be for me. 99.9% of players will never make it that far.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was so pissed we traded Mair.

I remember Mair's most memorable Kings moment was his 10-game automatic suspension as a result of the 2001 brawl against the Sens.

Mair Madea Youthful Mistake
Adam Mair apparently was on the level Friday when he said he didn't realize he faced an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to join a brawl in Thursday night's 4-2 victory over the Ottawa Senators.

Ian Laperriere said he broke the news to him in the penalty box.

"Sorry, kid, it's 10 games," Laperriere said he told Mair.

"But I didn't throw any punches," Mair replied.

"It doesn't matter. You can't do that. It's 10 games. Sorry."

Though Mair's action in coming to the aid of teammate Mikko Eloranta was generally applauded by the Kings as an act of selflessness, one teammate said it was a product of inexperience.

"He's young," the teammate said. "I don't know if he really understood the consequences. You get pretty emotional. ... When you're on the bench, you have that feeling of helplessness.

pixel.gif

"I can guarantee, he won't do it again. But it's hard when you see a teammate in trouble and you want to be there for him."

Mair, 22, is eligible to return to the lineup Jan. 15.

The Kings said Mair's willingness to join the fray showed the team is unified. Here's another, perhaps more telling sign: His teammates are expected to take up a collection to make up Mair's lost salary, more than $25,000.

"He didn't go for any personal reason," Coach Andy Murray said of Mair. "It's all about team, and that's why he did what he did.

"It's the emotion. You have to be in the moment to know."

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wish I was a Kings fan back then; started watching LA in 2006 so I totally missed Pallfy, Deadmarsh, etc.

You picked the right time to become a fan, when the team was loaded with stars like Brian Willsie, Tom Kostopoulos, Jamie Lundmark, and the five-headed monster in net: Cloutier, Garon, Burke, Brust, Fukufuji.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad