Injury Report: 2018-19 Injury Report - Where’s Kesler?

Who plays more games as a Duck this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So...

Getz has no new injuries but keeps getting back spasms. That's not really a good prognosis. Age is catching up and he better start working real hard in the off season. Even if he does I think the new norm is going to be Getz day to day, UBI.

Ritchie "has that thing that goes on once in a while". For somebody his age should he be having "that thing that goes on once in a while"? Did he "catch" that from Getz? lol

Terry breaks his leg blocking a shot and Bob seems incredulous that it happened? I'm stumped how Bob doesn't think that should/could ever happen. Wish he would have explained.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I took that comment as Bob just f***ing done with all the injuries we keep getting, which I totally am in agreement with. The amount of unlucky injuries we keep getting is ridiculous. Also, of f***ing course it was a shot from Gio that injured another one our guys. He should just go to the Avs at this point with the amount of times he's injured our players.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I took that comment as Bob just ****ing done with all the injuries we keep getting, which I totally am in agreement with. The amount of unlucky injuries we keep getting is ridiculous. Also, of ****ing course it was a shot from Gio that injured another one our guys. He should just go to the Avs at this point with the amount of times he's injured our players.

I guess I don't see it that way. To me, he seems genuinely stumped that something like that could happen. Look at his facial expressions as well as he explains to the reporters what exactly happened to Terry.

"I'm trying to get to the bottom of how that happens. We have a number of issues here with things happening that shouldn't happen and it's just another one to add to the list".

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I guess I don't see it that way. To me, he seems genuinely stumped that something like that could happen. Look at his facial expressions as well as he explains to the reporters what exactly happened to Terry.

"I'm trying to get to the bottom of how that happens. We have a number of issues here with things happening that shouldn't happen and it's just another one to add to the list".
Same. I took it as he was genuinely upset that he could get injured blocking a shot like he did, like something in the technique he used was wrong or maybe even that the equipment failed in some way.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, I guess that means that while he will be able to LTIR next year, it looks like the team will have to pay him instead of the insurance. So, from an internal budget aspect, don't expect any major salary acquisition(s) via ufa or trade.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Well, I guess that means that while he will be able to LTIR next year, it looks like the team will have to pay him instead of the insurance. So, from an internal budget aspect, don't expect any major salary acquisition(s) via ufa or trade.
???

He's physically unable to play. That's exactly when the insurance would kick in.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
???

He's physically unable to play. That's exactly when the insurance would kick in.
Only if his condition cause him to retire and be unable to perform his duties. Insurance doesn't pay for guys while they are healing before returning. If he says he wants to return then he's still rehabbing like any injured player.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Only if his condition cause him to retire and be unable to perform his duties. Insurance doesn't pay for guys while they are healing before returning. If he says he wants to return then he's still rehabbing like any injured player.
I don't think insurance is only there if a guy is forced to retire. Because a player technically never "retires" due to an injury, especially if he wants to collect his salary. I'm pretty sure when a contract is insured, it kicks in when the player goes on LTIR.

You can look up any player currently on LTIR, like Bolland or Clarkson. While we all know they probably won't ever play again, there's still the possibility. Yet insurance covers some percentage of their contracts. Kesler would be in that same boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilfaizon

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
Link

Ed Jovanovski had the same procedure in March 2013 and returned after 9 months to play 37 games in 2013-14 season, although he was older that Kesler at the time of surgery.

So I guess it's possible that Kesler returns sometime in February or March 2020 if the Ducks are in the hunt for play-off's.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't think insurance is only there if a guy is forced to retire. Because a player technically never "retires" due to an injury, especially if he wants to collect his salary. I'm pretty sure when a contract is insured, it kicks in when the player goes on LTIR.

You can look up any player currently on LTIR, like Bolland or Clarkson. While we all know they probably won't ever play again, there's still the possibility. Yet insurance covers some percentage of their contracts. Kesler would be in that same boat.
There may be a different terminology used but it basically has to be a medically induced retirement. If your career cannot continue due to medical reasons then insurance kicks in.

The insurance is kind of a catastrophic financial coverage. I’m quite certain that just going on LTIR does not allow teams to get reimbursed. If so, the Ducks surely would have put Kesler on LTIR in the past yet they didn’t for a large portion of the last 2 seasons.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Kesler sounds like a busy-body... maybe he works as a player-coach or scout for our organization... and works for free since hes getting paid $18+ million the next 3 years....

Sticky2

May 2, 2017
Sucks about Kesler, hope he has a speedy recovery. I don’t get the hate this guy gets.

He was great.

Now his contract is a boat anchor and who knows if he will ever play again. We know he won’t play next year.

Time to retire gracefully.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Since we've been told that Kesler's contract is insured, I've been trying to understand what that means.

I found this old article - not sure if the info is still accurate. If the same policy is in place, then Kesler's insurance will kick in after he misses 30 consecutive games. I assume that applies across seasons - might explain why the ducks wanted him to sit out ASAP. Once the insurance kicks in, the ducks will only receive 80% at most. It is possible his hip was excluded from coverage. .

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...ract-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-insurance-062812

more here: The #37 Million Gamble - Nathan Horton and the worst case scenario

Bottom line, based on the dated info I've found, I don't think Kesler has to be retired or "permanently" disabled for the insurance to kick in.

Reactions: Kalv and duxfan1101

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Speedy recovery Kes!

Man, he was a beast when he was on top of his game before the injury. If he were able to stay healthy it`s very likely we take the cup that year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Since we've been told that Kesler's contract is insured, I've been trying to understand what that means.

I found this old article - not sure if the info is still accurate. If the same policy is in place, then Kesler's insurance will kick in after he misses 30 consecutive games. I assume that applies across seasons - might explain why the ducks wanted him to sit out ASAP. Once the insurance kicks in, the ducks will only receive 80% at most. It is possible his hip was excluded from coverage. .

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...ract-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-insurance-062812

more here: The #37 Million Gamble - Nathan Horton and the worst case scenario

Bottom line, based on the dated info I've found, I don't think Kesler has to be retired or "permanently" disabled for the insurance to kick in.
Based on those articles I think the question would be, if, once he had the first hip surgery that hip was no longer covered by insurance once he came back and played. It would seemingly be covered initially because at that time it was not a pre-exisiting condition. But could it become one in future years of his contract due to the fact the team seems to have the ability to designate different players to be covered each year? One this is certain...we will never get an answer from the Ducks.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Based on those articles I think the question would be, if, once he had the first hip surgery that hip was no longer covered by insurance once he came back and played. It would seemingly be covered initially because at that time it was not a pre-exisiting condition. But could it become one in future years of his contract due to the fact the team seems to have the ability to designate different players to be covered each year? One this is certain...we will never get an answer from the Ducks.

Since the injury happened mid-contract and not between contracts, would it be considered a pre-existing condition or would it still be covered under the same insurance policy? It may not qualify as pre-existing unless changes are made to the insurance policy. Hopefully, since he was insured pre-injury, as long as changes aren't made he still is insured. If he were traded to another team, though, I could see that qualifying as a pre-existing condition (unless the insurance is through the league and not based on individual teams).

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
While Kesler's warrior mentality is needed on this team, his physical presence isn't. Since he's out all next season, and if Steel and Lundestrom have progressed in that time, where exactly does he fit in beyond then? There's really no reason to bring him back later to be a 4th line C playing half the games at that price. Hell, it'd be damn irresponsible. Hopefully they all realize this and this is all just to get the info out there and not the makings of a "plan".

Reactions: Getzmonster

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Since the injury happened mid-contract and not between contracts, would it be considered a pre-existing condition or would it still be covered under the same insurance policy? It may not qualify as pre-existing unless changes are made to the insurance policy. Hopefully, since he was insured pre-injury, as long as changes aren't made he still is insured. If he were traded to another team, though, I could see that qualifying as a pre-existing condition (unless the insurance is through the league and not based on individual teams).

Using the Horton article as a guideline (although it is old and who knows if things are still the same) it would seem to indicate that the premium is based on the 5 highest contracts but that teams can choose to cover any 7 players (not that it would seem to matter here). Kesler had two previous hip surgeries in Vancouver. I thought that I had previously read it wasn't the same hip as this time but I cannot currently find a reference. So if it is the same hip I suppose there could be a chance it isn't covered by insurance even though the rest of him may be.

Very confusing.

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad