2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
San Diego is tied with 10 mins to go. If they lose the Eagles will move to 3rd in their division.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hope we don't lose Francouz for nothing. Let Varly walk and promise him NHL time next season. I think I'm comfortable with a Grubauer Francouz tandem next year.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Hope we don't lose Francouz for nothing. Let Varly walk and promise him NHL time next season. I think I'm comfortable with a Grubauer Francouz tandem next year.
I'm warming to this idea also. Can always pick up a vet goalie on waivers or trade if it crashes and burn.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is Frankie the best goaltender in the world not currently playing in the NHL or is it Sorokin?. I know Columbus prospects love Elvis but he needs to get out of Switzerland before I become a believer.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I am 99% sure Frankie will be the Avs' backup next season. Sakic didn't convince Frankie to come to Colorado and watch him become the #1 goalie in the AHL just to let him walk at the end of the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I am 99% sure Frankie will be the Avs' backup next season. Sakic didn't convince Frankie to come to Colorado and watch him become the #1 goalie in the AHL just to let him walk at the end of the season.

It's not up to Joe if Frank doesn't want to come back. Sure Joe can make promises for next year, but I suspect that there were some promises made about this year to get Francouz to pick us...and somehow I doubt those promises were that the AHL net would be his...

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's not up to Joe if Frank doesn't want to come back. Sure Joe can make promises for next year, but I suspect that there were some promises made about this year to get Francouz to pick us...and somehow I doubt those promises were that the AHL net would be his...
Hence why I said 99% instead of 100%. It's not entirely up to Sakic but with our current goaltending situation IMO I am almost sure he will offer him the backup spot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hence why I said 99% instead of 100%. It's not entirely up to Sakic but with our current goaltending situation IMO I am almost sure he will offer him the backup spot.

Why is he going to believe Joe's promises about next season if Joe already lied to him about the opportunities he'd get this season? Because of a promised backup job? You don't pass on the millions that Francouz was offered to move to one of the KHL giants, for that.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Why is he going to believe Joe's promises about next season if Joe already lied to him about the opportunities he'd get this season? Because of a promised backup job? You don't pass on the millions that Francouz was offered to move to one of the KHL giants, for that.

Unless I’ve missed something, it’s as likely that this was the plan all along as it is Joe’s jerking Frank around. I’m sure the thought was Varly would break and Frank would get a longer look but there’s every reason to believe they had an agreement to bring him along slowly and give him a shot next year if he’d earned it, otherwise he had/has the option to look elsewhere.

There’s no reason to think he’s upset with the current situation. Have I missed the quotes where he’s pissed about the massage therapists and that Joe isn’t honouring their agreement to play him up with the Avs this season?

Reactions: avsfan09

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yah true. My only hope is his buddy Kaut convinces him to stick around but with the amount of teams looking for goaltending help next season(New Jersey, Buffalo, Calgary) Frank has a ton of options. Its why not playing him in December-Mid February was absolutely stupid of them. If he walks and goes on to succeed somewhere else im gonna be....yah im not gonna be happy.

Reactions: klozge and cgf

Sakics Snowblower

Aug 16, 2011
Saint John, NB
For the record, here's what he said before the season to Eurolanche:

Aren’t you afraid that you could spend the entire season in the AHL? Would you consider going back to Europe, or would you be willing to give the NHL one more chance?
That’s tough to judge right now. It would likely depend on the situation and if I’d still feel that I’d have a chance. I’m willing to sacrifice a lot. Furthermore, there’s quality hockey in the AHL as well. It could help me to improve myself hockey-wise.
Exclusive interview: Pavel Francouz - Eurolanche.com

With the success the Eagles are having this year, and seemingly being a pretty tight knit group, he may be more willing to buy into growing with the young guys there and taking the next step to Denver next year.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Unless I’ve missed something, it’s as likely that this was the plan all along as it is Joe’s jerking Frank around. I’m sure the thought was Varly would break and Frank would get a longer look but there’s every reason to believe they had an agreement to bring him along slowly and give him a shot next year if he’d earned it, otherwise he had/has the option to look elsewhere.

There’s no reason to think he’s upset with the current situation. Have I missed the quotes where he’s pissed about the massage therapists and that Joe isn’t honouring their agreement to play him up with the Avs this season?

While true that Frank hasn't yet complained like Mironov did...though Miro didn't really go in until after returning to the KHL...we do know that Frank turned down millions of dollars from ZSKA & SKA to come to Colorado. I doubt he did that for a single relief appearance in the NHL, so I assume that some promises were made.

It's totally possible that we landed him just because of his own assessment of our goalie situation...but judging based off of how things usually go with KHL stars that have better-paying options, I'm doubtful that we landed Frank without any promises. Which is why I'm assuming that Frank isn't coming back unless he gets a shot down the stretch / really likes Colorado / is promised the starting NHL gig.
Yah true. My only hope is his buddy Kaut convinces him to stick around but with the amount of teams looking for goaltending help next season(New Jersey, Buffalo, Calgary) Frank has a ton of options. Its why not playing him in December-Mid February was absolutely stupid of them. If he walks and goes on to succeed somewhere else im gonna be....yah im not gonna be happy.
For the record, here's what he said before the season to Eurolanche:

Exclusive interview: Pavel Francouz - Eurolanche.com

With the success the Eagles are having this year, and seemingly being a pretty tight knit group, he may be more willing to buy into growing with the young guys there and taking the next step to Denver next year.

Yeah, I'm not saying I've heard anything about Frank not being happy from anyone that might know. Just that given how these things typically play out with KHL stars & the offers that we know Frank passed up last summer, I'm not banking on Frank coming back.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It is clear from what you have been saying in the last couple of months that you have no trust in the Avs' FO so I don't think I'll ever be able to change your mind. I still believe in them and Sakic in particular so let's just agree to disagree. I believe Frankie will be re-signed and be our backup next season. I believe Frankie will see that the Avs are still the best shot he has to the NHL. Another NHL team will have to promise him the backup position as well for him to go there. No difference than the Avs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is clear from what you have been saying in the last couple of months that you have no trust in the Avs' FO so I don't think I'll ever be able to change your mind. I still believe in them and Sakic in particular so let's just agree to disagree. I believe Frankie will be re-signed and be our backup next season. I believe Frankie will see that the Avs are still the best shot he has to the NHL. Another NHL team will have to promise him the backup position as well for him to go there. No difference than the Avs.

Not quite. I don't trust them to be proactive because it's not something they've ever shown, but I haven't given up on them yet. Joe still has this offseason to convince me one way or the other. But this isn't about our FO, it's about Francouz having turned down millions of dollars from the KHL giants who pay their stars on time & what it usually means when KHL stars do that in their prime-years.

It'd be one thing if he was still a kid simply chasing his dream, but even for a goalie 28 is no longer that young. He's in his prime, in a profession with a short earning-window; so why would he settle for less than a 5th of the pre-tax salary that he would be making this year...nevermind that Russia has a low flat tax rate that means players take-home a lot more of their pre-tax salary...if he wasn't made promises similar to those that other KHL stars have received to come "prove themselves" in the NHL?

Especially in a season where a guy that Frank has outplayed the past two seasons in the KHL, Koskinen, not only has received NHL playing time but in that time managed to secure a lucrative extension for similar (pre-tax) money to what Frank turned down from the big Moscow & St. Petersburg teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not quite. I don't trust them to be proactive because it's not something they've ever shown, but I haven't given up on them yet. Joe still has this offseason to convince me one way or the other. But this isn't about our FO, it's about Francouz having turned down millions of dollars from the KHL giants who pay their stars on time & what it usually means when KHL stars do that in their prime-years.

It'd be one thing if he was still a kid simply chasing his dream, but even for a goalie 28 is no longer that young. He's in his prime, in a profession with a short earning-window; so why would he settle for less than a 5th of the pre-tax salary that he would be making this year...nevermind that Russia has a low flat tax rate that means players take-home a lot more of their pre-tax salary...if he wasn't made promises similar to those that other KHL stars have received to come "prove themselves" in the NHL?

Especially in a season where a guy that Frank has outplayed the past two seasons in the KHL, Koskinen, not only has received NHL playing time but in that time managed to secure a lucrative extension for similar money to what Frank turned down from the big Moscow & St. Petersburg teams.
Ok fair enough. Like I said...agree to disagree.

FTR this offseason, and to a lesser extend the next TDL, is also my breaking point with Sakic. If he doesn't do anything significant towards improving this team this summer besides inserting OTT' pick and Makar, I'll definitely start souring on him.

Reactions: cgf

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Especially in a season where a guy that Frank has outplayed the past two seasons in the KHL, Koskinen, not only has received NHL playing time but in that time managed to secure a lucrative extension for similar (pre-tax) money to what Frank turned down from the big Moscow & St. Petersburg teams.
If he truly cared about proving himself against top competition rather than money than it's a possibility atleast. Honestly sometimes I wonder whether money should take priority or achievement.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he truly cared about proving himself against top competition rather than money than it's a possibility atleast. Honestly sometimes I wonder whether money should take priority or achievement.

But spending at least one whole season of your prime in the AHL isn't proving yourself. That's a step down from the level he has been at...and it's not like Joe's going to just give him the starting job because of it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
But spending at least one whole season of your prime in the AHL isn't proving yourself. That's a step down from the level he has been at...and it's not like Joe's going to just give him the starting job because of it.
It could be thought of as a step down but I think it's pretty similar hockey but with a smaller rink and more intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad