2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wasn't saying that Frank was promised the starting spot or anything, like Ship had been lead to believe he'd be a top 6 C for Vegas when he signed. So I think you're jumping to an even bigger assumption than I am by assuming that Frank would've dipped back for the KHL even if there was a promise that has been broken; especially given his desire to breakthrough in the NHL.

He could've been promised the AHL starting spot & something like 10-15 NHL starts after Varly got hurt...a reasonable promise for both sides and one that could've been made in good faith by Joe, but a promise that would still have been broken this season...and he could be sticking it out despite there being that betrayal to prove to other NA GMs before hitting the FA market this summer that, not only does his game translate, but that he's "a good soldier"; since even if he leaves Colorado this summer, that doesn't have to mean leaving NA.

Again my point has never been that he's gone & we should enjoy the AHL help while he's still around. My point was simply that we shouldn't just assume that he's going to be content to comeback without us making the kind of commitment to him that we would've needed to see him in the NHL this season to make. That's all.

RE: Shvyryov; him I'm actually less worried about this summer. He didn't leave a better situation to come here, he's still developing, and he seemed to come in with a 2 year plan for the AHL. Which he sorta suggested in some russian interviews last summer & we've seen play out with him being eased into NA-hockey. If he's not on a "scoring line" for the eagles next season, then we can start to worry about him heading back to russia in the summer of 2020, but not yet.

But again I think you're completely fabricating this scenario out of nothing. The only information we know for sure is that Frankie was fully prepared to come to the AHL and earn his opportunity in the NHL, and nothing so far this year suggests anything otherwise from his perspective. All signs point to him simply wanting to play in the NHL and doing what has to be done to make that happen, including playing a year in the AHL. I do suspect he probably chose Colorado partially at the time because of the uncertainty we had in net. Bernier was a UFA and Varlamov was injured for the better part of each of the last 2 seasons. At the time Grubs wasn't here and I'm sure Frankie suspect he had a real opportunity to come in and get into NHL action quickly. But I doubt Sakic made a promise of NHL action to come here. Now, the fact Frankie hasn't gotten any NHL time could very well lead to him being significantly more open to joining a new team this summer where he'll get more of a guarantee this time around given his dominance in the AHL this year. But hopefully Sakic can solve that issue by just offering him the backup spot here and giving him a nice little raise into the 1.5M neighborhood on a 1-2 year deal. I dont have much concern about doing that because I think his numbers in the KHL and now AHL speak for themselves and I think he'd handle the NHL just fine, he looked pretty solid in his 2 relief appearances as well.

And regarding Shvy, he left a shitty situation but I'd say more then one team would be interested in having him this time around and probably would offer more money and/or minutes. I again think he'll probably stay because he wants to be in the NHL, seems to be enjoying his time with the Eagles according to his social media, and the Eagles are having success and guys want to be a part of success. But I'd say no doubt teams will be trying to lure him back to the KHL this summer.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I wasn't saying that Frank was promised the starting spot or anything, like Ship had been lead to believe he'd be a top 6 C for Vegas when he signed. So I think you're jumping to an even bigger assumption than I am by assuming that Frank would've dipped back for the KHL even if there was a promise that has been broken; especially given his desire to breakthrough in the NHL.

He could've been promised the AHL starting spot & something like 10-15 NHL starts after Varly got hurt...a reasonable promise for both sides and one that could've been made in good faith by Joe, but a promise that would still have been broken this season...and he could be sticking it out despite there being that betrayal to prove to other NA GMs before hitting the FA market this summer that, not only does his game translate, but that he's "a good soldier"; since even if he leaves Colorado this summer, that doesn't have to mean leaving NA.

Again my point has never been that he's gone & we should enjoy the AHL help while he's still around. My point was simply that we shouldn't just assume that he's going to be content to comeback without us making the kind of commitment to him that we would've needed to see him in the NHL this season to make. That's all.

RE: Shvyryov; him I'm actually less worried about this summer. He didn't leave a better situation to come here, he didn't leave big money & stardom behind to come, he's still developing, and he seemed to come in with a 2-year plan for the AHL. Which he sorta suggested in some russian interviews last summer when he talked about just wanting to get acclimated & adapted to NA-hockey before worrying about tackling a bigger role for the Eagles...and which we've seen playing out with the way he has been eased in.

If he's not on a "scoring line" for the eagles next season, then we can start to worry about him heading back to russia in the summer of 2020, but not yet.

And it's nice to see folks noticing the mitts on Greer, there's a reason I keep saying that he's looked obviously more skilled than the 4th line bums he's been stuck with through most of his NHL stints...

Couldn’t be more than 2-3 weeks ago I practically got laughed out of town for complimenting his hands!

Reactions: cgf

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And it's nice to see folks noticing the mitts on Greer, there's a reason I keep saying that he's looked obviously more skilled than the 4th line bums he's been stuck with through most of his NHL stints...

He's definitely a lot more skilled than the 4th line bums, but he hasn't shown it up here besides a small play here and there. I don't know if it's a confidence issue, but there are quite a few moments where he had scoring chances and very much looked like a 4th line plug. Obviously he has more skill and I still like Greer, but he needs to bring the same tools he's showing in the AHL to the NHL.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Couldn’t be more than 2-3 weeks ago I practically got laughed out of town for complimenting his hands!

Make no mistake, his hands are awful by NHL standards and that's not why I want him in the NHL next year. He just brings a physical game and edge to his game that we dont have in any of our current bottom 6 forwards. Andrighetto, Bourque, Aggozino, Kerfoot, Jost... None of these guys have any sort of a real physical game or edge to the way they play. Even Calvert and Nieto play a heavy forechecking game but they aren't really physical or anything like that.

Greer gives us something different in that mix of forwards that we dont have. I dont think his hands are actually better then a single guys on that list besides Bourque, but he brings an element we dont have.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Make no mistake, his hands are awful by NHL standards and that's not why I want him in the NHL next year. He just brings a physical game and edge to his game that we dont have in any of our current bottom 6 forwards. Andrighetto, Bourque, Aggozino, Kerfoot, Jost... None of these guys have any sort of a real physical game or edge to the way they play. Even Calvert and Nieto play a heavy forechecking game but they aren't really physical or anything like that.

Greer gives us something different in that mix of forwards that we dont have. I dont think his hands are actually better then a single guys on that list besides Bourque, but he brings an element we dont have.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when he gets a run of games.

I’d guess you also think Jost has no hands?

Reactions: avsfan09

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Greer certainly doesn't have worse hands than Calvert or Wilson. They both have literally missed wide open nets multiple times this year. Combined it has to be close to 10 or more times. When they don't miss, they're shooting into the goalies chest in the middle of the net.

If Bednar's ok with their hands in middle six roles, he should be ok with Greer's hands in a 4th line role.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised when he gets a run of games.

I’d guess you also think Jost has no hands?

Nope, Jost has actually shown some decent puck skills at the NHL level, he just hasn't put it together yet. When it comes to showing off any sort of puck skills or hands at the NHL level Greer simply has not and if anything has made himself look a bit like a fool on more then one occasion(His one point came off of one of the worst attempt at a deke in tight I've ever seen :laugh).

Reactions: Mac Attack

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Greer has great hands or anything, but I don't think he's had much opportunity to show much with his six minutes a night either.

His one goal had the kind of shot placement and finish that has been lacking around the net this year from Avalanche forwards. Found the open net far side instead of just chipping it into the goalies chest, or off the post. He buried it with a couple guys on him too, didn't just make a soft attempt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not just his shooting skills & ability to receive a pass that separates AJG from the typical 4th line bum, but also his passes...especially the slick one-touch passes that you don't make unless you've got some skill & offensive instincts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Calvert is not gonna do that ^

Calvert has scored some pretty goals in the NHL... most any player in the NHL has some semblance of skill, and Calvert has some. I'm one of the people who probably hates the Calvert contract here the most. He's a pretty odd target though considering his role on the 3rd line while being a big part of the PK. It isn't his job to score pretty goals.

Reactions: RockLobster

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Calvert has scored some pretty goals in the NHL... most any player in the NHL has some semblance of skill, and Calvert has some. I'm one of the people who probably hates the Calvert contract here the most. He's a pretty odd target though considering his role on the 3rd line while being a big part of the PK. It isn't his job to score pretty goals.

If Greer makes the NHL he'll play basically the same gritty bottom 6 winger role. Calvert and Bourque are the most obvious players on the Avs to compare to Greer.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If Greer makes the NHL he'll play basically the same gritty bottom 6 winger role. Calvert and Bourque are the most obvious players on the Avs to compare to Greer.

Yeah, his true NHL role will be looking like this a lot...

a.j.-greer-2018-690.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad