2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How has meloche looked this season? what type of defender do you him as in the NHL?

Good timing, he scored the game winning goal yesterday. They played him a lot in a close game too, he's playing well. I can't even guess at what plan, if any, the Avs have for him at this point. He should be a two-way physical defender with a good first pass and can sprinkle in some offense.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Good timing, he scored the game winning goal yesterday. They played him a lot in a close game too, he's playing well. I can't even guess at what plan, if any, the Avs have for him at this point. He should be a two-way physical defender with a good first pass and can sprinkle in some offense.

Would you say he’s playing at/near the level Graves was when he was given his shot with the Avs?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
So, likely Graves has been getting looks as he stands to gain less from additional AHL-time?

Also am I correct in thinking Meloche is still waiver exempt next year if he makes a case for sticking with the Avs or at least bouncing back and forth?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eagles playing well the past week and just took two games from Tucson to jump over them in the standings...of course on the back of Francouz. Not sure if I am 100% sure here, but I think in the Western Conference and differences in the number of games gives each division four spots for the playoffs compared to the 5/3 we see in the NHL. They've played a couple more games compared to some other teams as of now, but they're currently in a playoff spot.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can't help but wonder that the move to acquire Brassard and then immediately demote Greer et al was to placate Eagles ownership as much as it was to try and make the Avs better. But AJ Greer is not under contract with the Colorado Eagles, he is under contract with the Colorado Avalanche and the organization should act as such. If they wanted to bolster the AHL lineup then they should've made separate moves in order to do so. And it sounds like they could have, and chose not to do so. But this current situation is interminable.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So, likely Graves has been getting looks as he stands to gain less from additional AHL-time?

Also am I correct in thinking Meloche is still waiver exempt next year if he makes a case for sticking with the Avs or at least bouncing back and forth?
Graves never really looked good in the AHL, lots of turnovers. He benefits from better structure in the NHL.

Yes Meloche is waiver exempt another year but he should be getting a look now. He's over 100 AHL games played and held up his end of the bargain.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Graves never really looked good in the AHL, lots of turnovers. He benefits from better structure in the NHL.

Yes Meloche is waiver exempt another year but he should be getting a look now. He's over 100 AHL games played and held up his end of the bargain.
zN8OSBV.gif

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Sadly I think it's more to do with the way we've handcuffed ourselves with too many low end-to-middling veterans on the backend again.

For someone who never gets to see the Eagles, we talking good enough to let Nemeth walk this summer? Any chance that's what they're waiting for?

The naive optimist in me was hoping a contender would fool themselves into taking Cole off our hands and help solve the underwhelming-vet logjam we've got going in the 5/6/7 spots.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the midst of a playoff push is not the time to bring up a rookie defensemen. Not because Meloche isn't capable or possibly couldn't add to the team, but that a coach isn't going to give him the leash to survive the natural mistakes that will happen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In the midst of a playoff push is not the time to bring up a rookie defensemen. Not because Meloche isn't capable or possibly couldn't add to the team, but that a coach isn't going to give him the leash to survive the natural mistakes that will happen.

Just like with Francouz, I get that, but to me that just indicts the decisions made earlier in the year that have prevented them from having won some trust with the coach prior to the playoff-push.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just like with Francouz, I get that, but to me that just indicts the decisions made earlier in the year that have prevented them from having won some trust with the coach prior to the playoff-push.
30-35 games ago was a different story with Meloche too... he will get his time. I'm not always thrilled with how the Avs handle these situations, but not calling up Meloche in Nov/Dec is not something I'd pin on them. Next year, he should be getting that shot.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
He needs NHL experience and exposure to become an option, waiting longer in the AHL now isn't going to change that.

Makar should be the one to push Nemeth out anyway.

How would you propose they get him in the lineup? Given that they missed the boat with Cole being out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He needs NHL experience and exposure to become an option, waiting longer in the AHL now isn't going to change that.

Makar should be the one to push Nemeth out anyway.
So you're still not a fan of the Red Wings maturation process? Sure Meloche has played 100 games, but that's simply just two seasons. Do you have comparables where 100 games is enough for defenders? I am not against the idea of giving him some NHL games next season, especially when injuries hit. However, I neither see a problem where playing him 22 minutes a night on the top-pairing in the AHL for one more season is wrong either. :dunno:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
So you're still not a fan of the Red Wings maturation process? Sure Meloche has played 100 games, but that's simply just two seasons. Do you have comparables where 100 games is enough for defenders? I am not against the idea of giving him some NHL games next season, especially when injuries hit. However, I neither see a problem where playing him 22 minutes a night on the top-pairing in the AHL for one more season is wrong either. :dunno:
With you on this one. We should be patient with some of these guys and overdevelop them rather than putting them into situations like Jost where expectations can crush their confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad