2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
[
The Hawks have only 5 legit top-6 forwards - Toews/Kane/Saad/Schmaltz/DCat. They have one guy that has played top-6 a lot but is more of a 3rd line guy - Anisimov. They have one guy who projects as a top-6 but hasn't proven it yet - Sikura. We don't know what we have in Kahun. Hayden and the other shlebs are not top-6 caliber players, at least not now. So if the objective is to load up the top-2 lines then it has to either Sikura or Anisimov joining the (5) top-6 guys. I prefer to spread the talent out over the top-9 myself so my lineup would be:

Saad-Toews-Kahun
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Kampf-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kunitz-Kruger-Hayden

I don't mind that if Saad and Toews can be effective once again and Kahun could fit in there IMO he is a repnsible two way player who has some skills. I would swap Kampf and Hayden though Kampf is blah and he will never amount to having any significant offensive numbers and that would be a waste with Schmaltz, hayden on the other hand has some Offensive upside and could pot 20 goals and 25 assists with those two IMO.

Saad-Toews-Kahun
Cat-AA-Kane
Hayden-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kx3

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Some potentially good news from Kuc’s piece in the Athletic

“To that end, look for Seabrook, holder of the albatross of a contract with a $6.875 million cap hit that could impact the team’s roster moves through the 2023-24 season, to regain his footing. A source said Seabrook has been diligently following strength and conditioning coach Paul Goodman’s workout regimens this offseason and has lost a significant amount of weight. That should help Seabrook recapture the step or two he appeared to lose last season and again make him more than a No. 5 or No. 6 defenseman.”

If he has got a step back he can be a #4D. Big if but we have to hope for it.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If he has got a step back he can be a #4D. Big if but we have to hope for it.

yes a big if for sure and IF that is the case the BIGGER IF will be Q not using him like he is a number 2 again for christ sake but my guess is Q is not smart enough to realize he and sea brook can't time travel back to the good ol days

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
yes a big if for sure and IF that is the case the BIGGER IF will be Q not using him like he is a number 2 again for christ sake but my guess is Q is not smart enough to realize he and sea brook can't time travel back to the good ol days
He realized it last year. But also he isn't in some overloaded with deserving RD to play as a consisent top hand. Not having Hjalmarrson to play heavy RD minutes and yet Q still was able to give Seabs his lowest icetime since his first two nhl seasons.

People were very happy with that short play Seabs 17 minutes a night stint, but constantly mocking how Oesterle was played 22 minutes. That was the same time because to do that you needed someone to play heavier minutes to have Seabs not. Ruuta was and might be too inconsistent again to do it. Murphy should get a bit more time but he's never shown an NHL level command to be a 20+ minutes guy.

I think the best bet for Seabs to play less is if Ruuta or Jokiharyu pair with Keith and work out successful in a top pair icetime.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Let's talk hypotheticals.

If Seabrook lost 15+ lbs there is a decent chance he would get at least a step if not 2 back, if he did can he be a #3D? 4D?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Do the Hawks still have Bouma?

We could have a washed up line of Kunitz/Kruger/Bouma

Q would love it

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Roll these pairings and split time more evenly. Just roll them.

2-44
42-5
23-7

Thats alright, assuming manning is 23. 7 still needs most back to backs off no fitness routine can solve that issue so I guess Gus is the substitute.

And I was calling for forsling and Murphy when hammer was traded

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If the Vets don't play good again, I'd seriously consider putting them on one line while putting the youngsters away from them on their own line.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Some potentially good news from Kuc’s piece in the Athletic

“To that end, look for Seabrook, holder of the albatross of a contract with a $6.875 million cap hit that could impact the team’s roster moves through the 2023-24 season, to regain his footing. A source said Seabrook has been diligently following strength and conditioning coach Paul Goodman’s workout regimens this offseason and has lost a significant amount of weight. That should help Seabrook recapture the step or two he appeared to lose last season and again make him more than a No. 5 or No. 6 defenseman.”

I read that and it was what I referencing in my post. A couple weeks back I looked at Seabrook's season when he signed his extension thinking that Bowman should have seen the warning signs but Seabrook had an excellent season, arguably the finest of his career. For all those people wanting to give Seabrook a pass, make excuses, and put more more blame on the organization for offering the contract, what does it say when a player's performance goes from stellar to below average to terrible immediately after signing a lucrative, 8-year contract? And now we find out he's lost weight and is training hard. Put me down for not being too impressed with Seabrook's professionalism.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I read that and it was what I referencing in my post. A couple weeks back I looked at Seabrook's season when he signed his extension thinking that Bowman should have seen the warning signs but Seabrook had an excellent season, arguably the finest of his career. For all those people wanting to give Seabrook a pass, make excuses, and put more more blame on the organization for offering the contract, what does it say when a player's performance goes from stellar to below average to terrible immediately after signing a lucrative, 8-year contract? And now we find out he's lost weight and is training hard. Put me down for not being too impressed with Seabrook's professionalism.

Seabs is not the only one who's output tailed off after signing an 8-year extension. Not making excuses for him (except maybe age being a factor), but the problem is not limited to him. Still, with all of our core members we are pretty much stuck with them (until we're not, of course). So, if Seabs is on a new training regimen that can breath some life into him, how bad can it be for the team?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Seabs is not the only one who's output tailed off after signing an 8-year extension. Not making excuses for him (except maybe age being a factor), but the problem is not limited to him. Still, with all of our core members we are pretty much stuck with them (until we're not, of course). So, if Seabs is on a new training regimen that can breath some life into him, how bad can it be for the team?

I would criticize anyone's professionalism if their play dropped off significantly after signing a major contract when one of the major reasons is conditioning. With the big contract comes the expectations and pressure.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As a professional athlete, one thing you always have complete control of is your work ethic. Regardless of talent slipping, aging, whatever, you can still work hard and put in effort to combat some of those things and have good conditioning. Further, barring extenuating circumstances, there is literally NO reason for not being in good physical condition, period, if you are professional athlete. This isn't the 50's where many guys in all pro sports had summer jobs to make ends meet and training camps, spring training, etc were actually FOR getting the guys back into shape again because they didn't train as much (if at all) in the summers or weren't able to. Those days are long, LONG gone. Your ONLY job all off-season long is to work out and stay in shape. You don't have to practice, you don't have to be on the road, you don't have to be in the office 8-10 hours a day.....your ONLY responsibility is to be in that gym or that training facility for an hour or two a day a few days per week. There is no reason in this day and age to not be in good shape other than laziness and/or complacency.

You only collect paychecks during the regular season but the reality is you are being paid to be in shape year-round and to take care of yourself. You're literally being paid to work out. That's it. That's your job, to just stay in shape. Believe me, I know it takes a ton of work and training like they do is hard and it's not easy, but it sure as hell beats "real" work and some guys lose sight of that. I'm always in support of athletes and defending how their lives are different and you can't compare them to "normal" people cuz it's a different world, all that, but in this case that dose of perspective truly does get lost on guys sometimes. It's a pretty good life when all you have to worry about job-wise is working out that day. Do the damn work.

Last edited:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
PP1: Kane, Toews, Hayden, DeBrincat, Forsling
PP2: Schmaltz, Sikura, Anisimov, Kahun/Saad, Seabrook

Assuming Jokiharju wont make it at the start.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
PP1: Kane, Toews, Hayden, DeBrincat, Forsling
PP2: Schmaltz, Sikura, Anisimov, Kahun/Saad, Seabrook

Assuming Jokiharju wont make it at the start.

I’m walking to my next work meeting and thinking of line combos (I think I have a problem).

How about:

Ejdsell-Toews-Kane

DeBrincat-Anisimov-Schmaltz (swap schmaltz and Anisimov depending on the situation)

Hayden-Kruger-Saad (defensive zone draw line and Saad provides a counterpunch option)

Sikura-Kampf-Kahun

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I’m walking to my next work meeting and thinking of line combos (I think I have a problem).

How about:

Ejdsell-Toews-Kane

DeBrincat-Anisimov-Schmaltz (swap schmaltz and Anisimov depending on the situation)

Hayden-Kruger-Saad (defensive zone draw line and Saad provides a counterpunch option)

Sikura-Kampf-Kahun

Swap Hayden and Kampf or put Hayden in the first line, Ejdsell with Kahun and Sikura and Kampf with Krüger and Saad and I’m on board.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Swap Hayden and Kampf or put Hayden in the first line, Ejdsell with Kahun and Sikura and Kampf with Krüger and Saad and I’m on board.

I’m fine with those changes. Hayden and Ejdsell are interchangeable for me. They’re just there to be big and let the skill players work off each other

Anisimov serves the same purpose for DeBrincat and Schmaltz

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Because he’s big and provides a net front presence and can do the corner/board work while Toews can be a skill player again with Kane. Him or Hayden there, doesn’t really matter.

Why are you against it? (Not criticism of your comment, actually asking for your view of it)

I just haven't seen anything that shows Edjsell has the skill to be there.

Buff worked in that spot because he's a skilled player with size.
Even Bickell (at times.)

I think it's asking too much of Edjsell who seems to me more like a borderline 4th liner/AHLer.

Of course, I'd be happy to be completely wrong.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I just haven't seen anything that shows Edjsell has the skill to be there.

Buff worked in that spot because he's a skilled player with size.
Even Bickell (at times.)

I think it's asking too much of Edjsell who seems to me more like a borderline 4th liner/AHLer.

Of course, I'd be happy to be completely wrong.

Ya, ideally you’d have a Buff or Bickell there. Unfortunately there isn’t a player like that on this roster.

Using Ejdsell or Hayden there is basically just a case of using what you have available.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hayden has the talent to be an solid middle 6 player IF he continues to improve his skating. He was a 3rd round pick for a reason.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As a professional athlete, one thing you always have complete control of is your work ethic. Regardless of talent slipping, aging, whatever, you can still work hard and put in effort to combat some of those things and have good conditioning. Further, barring extenuating circumstances, there is literally NO reason for not being in good physical condition, period, if you are professional athlete. This isn't the 50's where many guys in all pro sports had summer jobs to make ends meet and training camps, spring training, etc were actually FOR getting the guys back into shape again because they didn't train as much (if at all) in the summers or weren't able to. Those days are long, LONG gone. Your ONLY job all off-season long is to work out and stay in shape. You don't have to practice, you don't have to be on the road, you don't have to be in the office 8-10 hours a day.....your ONLY responsibility is to be in that gym or that training facility for an hour or two a day a few days per week. There is no reason in this day and age to not be in good shape other than laziness and/or complacency.

You only collect paychecks during the regular season but the reality is you are being paid to be in shape year-round and to take care of yourself. You're literally being paid to work out. That's it. That's your job, to just stay in shape. Believe me, I know it takes a ton of work and training like they do is hard and it's not easy, but it sure as hell beats "real" work and some guys lose sight of that. I'm always in support of athletes and defending how their lives are different and you can't compare them to "normal" people cuz it's a different world, all that, but in this case that dose of perspective truly does get lost on guys sometimes. It's a pretty good life when all you have to worry about job-wise is working out that day. Do the damn work.
great post BL, so true on many levels, makes you sick to think about what we have to go through day in and day out opposed to pro athletes whose job it is to train and stay in shape lol!

there is one thing that should be mentioned is signing bonuses, which do get paid out in July I believe, so technically they do get paid over the summer, at least those whose contracts are structured to get bonuses July 1st...just figured I throw that out there!

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

How about:

Ejdsell-Toews-Kane

Sikura-Kampf-Kahun

Interesting idea, although I prefer Hayden tried next to Toews and Kane. Keep the second and put Saad-Kampf-Sikura. Fourth line could be Kunitz-Kruger-Kahun/FA (Wingels?)

If Edsell worked at C that would be ideal for the 3C role if they put Schmaltz at W

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
You gotta stack the 1st PP unit, and honestly Toews is pretty useless on the PP..

Debrincat-Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Forsling/Gus

Saad-Toews-Sikura-Kahun
Seabrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad