2018-19 Avalanche Tank Thread

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I said it before. Should have traded Varly and whom they could. After december and january everything should have been crystal clear.
Now i hope they get a second draft pick as high as it can get.
What team would want a aging struggling injury prone goalie with a expiring 6 million contract? Sakic might have asked around we have no idea. Varly will be lucky if he find another Nhl team in the summer he relies on his reflexes and athleticism and once he loses those completely yikes...

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Do we believe Bednar is done?

I think he gets the boot if the Avs look bad early next season, but not over the summer
I don't see how a coach can survive the three seasons he's had. Remember, Sakic would have to extend Bednar's contract in the summer if he wants to give him a last chance. You can't have a lame duck coaching the team, especially after the current disappointing season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Varlamov yesterday is a pretty good example of not bailing out his teammates. He's not only struggling like his rebound control (which is absolutely terrible), but it looks like he's also playing scared when it comes to loose pucks.
Varly's rebound control yesterday was an absolute farce, especially in the 3rd. Every single shot was bouncing off him and going back straight in the slot.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The main reason is how much our combined lottery odds become better if the Avs finish w/ 9th OA or worse.

While I agree that the losing culture is more of a concern than gaining or losing a couple of positions on draft day, I think the damage is done this year regardless. Not making the playoffs IS a major step back and we have to hope that a new coach and a few summer roster moves will work next year....else we're like the Sabres and Oilers and even draft picks might not save us.

AVs shouldn't tank, but they can work on the fundamentals and play some of the youth. The differences in picks between 9-12 is not substantial, especially if they target Knight would should be available in this range.

Franc, Greer, Kaut etc., allow them to play a few games. Experiment with lineups, special teams and OT. Season might be lost, but the future is still very bright.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Your tone is sarcastic, but your words speak truth :huh:
I obviously don't like losing, or missing the playoffs, but that's the situation we're in. I'd like to see us have a huge draft.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
These players are used to it...

Which is why it's important that they keep fighting until game 82 ends. If they lose the next 8, I will still be rooting for them to finish the year with a 3 game winning streak. They have to start developing resiliency & learning how to win games even when things are going against them. That's a can we've kicked down the road for over a decade already.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You're right. We're better off winning 5-6 meaningless games and dropping 3-4 draft positions because you don't like losing. Smart

I’d ratjer finish the season strong and not have a loser mentality like we’ve had for be last 15 years. Sure a high pick is good but we already have one. Why not finish the season with some f***ing dignity and actually create a winning culture which we seriously lack.

Reactions: Foppberg and cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’d ratjer finish the season strong and not have a loser mentality like we’ve had for be last 15 years. Sure a high pick is good but we already have one. Why not finish the season with some ****ing dignity and actually create a winning culture which we seriously lack.
Because the guys know it's over, and they didn't succeed. They've been playing hockey their entire lives, and can deal with losing. A better draft pick will help create a winning team. I don't think it will damage anything.

Reactions: Forceberg

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
AVs shouldn't tank, but they can work on the fundamentals and play some of the youth. The differences in picks between 9-12 is not substantial, especially if they target Knight would should be available in this range.

Franc, Greer, Kaut etc., allow them to play a few games. Experiment with lineups, special teams and OT. Season might be lost, but the future is still very bright.
Avs can only call up two or three players (four in total, they've already called up Dries at least) in the remainder of the season if there isn't some kind of emergency. Also, Bednar is fighting to keep his job, so he probably won't be on board with focusing on the future. I don't think calling up Kaut now is a good idea anyway.
Just let the Eagles try to end their season successfully, call Quenneville every morning and prepare for the off-season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I obviously don't like losing, or missing the playoffs, but that's the situation we're in. I'd like to see us have a huge draft.

It's not about liking losing. I can live with losing if it's for the greater good or the best my team is capable of...I was talking about tanking for Landy the day the SJ series ended when the rebuild first started...but this franchise has most of its core talent in place already, will be adding another core piece via the OTT pick, and has the necessary surplus of futures & capspace to fill in the gaps. We've reached the point in our rebuild where we need to stop spinning our wheels in place & start learning how to win ASAFP if we don't want to be stuck in the ever-tank.

The last time this franchise made consecutive postseasons there was a season-long lockout in the middle of it. If they miss this year then even if we take off from there, it will have been 15 years between consecutive playoff berths for this franchise. You can't wait around for that kind of acceptance of failure to dissipate or it'll just continue leaking into future seasons. I'm sure that some people are just born more genetically resilient, but that is still a trait that is learned by most. And finally beginning to learn that lesson is well worth dropping from the 7th-8th to the 13th-14th pick if that's the price that finally starts that process.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because the guys know it's over, and they didn't succeed. They've been playing hockey their entire lives, and can deal with losing. A better draft pick will help create a winning team. I don't think it will damage anything.

A better draft pick isn’t guaranteed to create a winning team. If it did the Avs, Oilers, Sabres, and Coyotes should all have made the playoffs consistently over the last 10 years.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The long term impact on the players here if they tank the next ten games weighed against a higher draft pick...

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Losing out would be the best thing for the franchise. I'm always playoffs over tanking but that ship has sailed. Fans act like it's a sports movie or something. Losing some remaining games won't change a thing next year. The damage is already done. The bad habits have already been developed. Winning some meaningless games won't fix that, and by this time next year won't even matter. It was like that situation with the Sens in the taxi when all the fans were freaking out when stuff like that is common according to past players. Nothing that happens in these final games will have any affect on the future outside of our draft pick ... OR if the other teams collapsed and we won all our games and made the playoffs.

Only thing that's going to fix our situation is making the right moves, getting the right coach, and taking it from there. Getting potentially the 7th pick vs the 11th is a big deal. Will have far more of an impact than winning meaningless games that the players won't even care about once the seasons done. They missed the playoffs, that's what will matter. Not there record in the final handful of games.

It's different for fans than players IMO. Sucks to watch, root for as a fan.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
The long term impact on the players here if they tank the next ten games weighed against a higher draft pick...

That's not how it works tho. These are grown men. They've made it here. Missing the playoffs is what will piss them off. Not if they finish 4 spots lower. Obviously players aren't going to intentionally tank.

It's all just between the fans/GM's etc. Like some of us want them to tank, some of us don't. Players will decide in the end, or maybe the GM will do something to help along the way.

If how your team finishes in the last 11 games is going to have an impact on you as a player, or a team, they wouldn't be in the NHL. The negative impact has already happened.

Reactions: klozge

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Which is why it's important that they keep fighting until game 82 ends. If they lose the next 8, I will still be rooting for them to finish the year with a 3 game winning streak. They have to start developing resiliency & learning how to win games even when things are going against them. That's a can we've kicked down the road for over a decade already.
Yup.. At this point my hopes of playoffs are pretty shot. I realize the situation we're in, but top picks aren't everything. Look at Edmonton, or Buffalo, or the number of loser organizations and where they're at, we're one of those losers.

I've pretty much accepted our fate, but there's no way in hell I'm actually rooting to lose. It leaves such a sour taste in my mouth to see others jumping on the tank bandwagon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad