MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
D0shW6eUYAEpedA.jpg

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls only gave up 20 shots, Glass said it was "one of the best games I've been a part of." Sounds like they responded well to getting outplayed the night before.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Something to remember when penciling in playoff lineups for the Gulls is the AHL limitations on veteran players dressed in any specific game. Teams can only dress at most five skaters who started the season with more than 320 games of NHL/AHL/European elite league experience, and one additional player who started the season with between 260 and 320 games experience. The other 12 skaters MUST have started the season with fewer than 260 games experience. Goalies are not subject to these restrictions.

This kind of limitation is why you'll frequently see vet-heavy teams rotating their veterans into and out of the lineup, for non-injury reasons.

Just something else to keep in mind.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Something to remember when penciling in playoff lineups for the Gulls is the AHL limitations on veteran players dressed in any specific game. Teams can only dress at most five skaters who started the season with more than 320 games of NHL/AHL/European elite league experience, and one additional player who started the season with between 260 and 320 games experience. The other 12 skaters MUST have started the season with fewer than 260 games experience. Goalies are not subject to these restrictions.

This kind of limitation is why you'll frequently see vet-heavy teams rotating their veterans into and out of the lineup, for non-injury reasons.

Just something else to keep in mind.
From what I can tell, the players who count as 'veterans' include: Eaves, Tropp, Carrick, Street, Cracknell, Gazdic, B. Thomson, and Sustr. A couple other guys are close, but it looks like they started the season with fewer than 260 games.

Reactions: HansH

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls tied with Stockton at 2 after 1. Goals by Cracknell and Kossila, both on the PP. With Steel called up, the creator of Family has stepped into the lineup to take his place on the 2nd line.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Welinski and Cracknell score in the 2nd, but the Heat answer with 3 of their own to take a 5-4 lead heading into the 3rd.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Tropp adds a late PP goal, but Stockton scores 2 shorties in the 3rd (one into an empty net), and the Gulls lose 7-5.

EDIT: Also just realized Boyle wasn't dressed for this game, hopefully he's ok.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls blanked 1-0 by Colorado. The Eagles are now only 4 points behind San Diego for the 3rd spot in the division. They play each other again tomorrow, and a win would go a long way for the Gulls.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Tonight's showing was abysmal - the Gulls were outshot 12-1 at one point spanning the end of the 1st period and the first half of the second. Every pass was off, I can't count how many times Gulls overskated the puck... and don't get me started on how hard it became for them to clear their own zone. While the score was only 1-0, it was a combination of Glass overperforming and raw luck that didn't have the Eagles up at at least 3-0. Officiating was pretty shoddy, but the Gulls ended up with more power plays than the Eagles, so the orange armbands can't be blamed for this abomination.

Tomorrow night may be chippy early, the way things were beginning to boil in the 3rd period - I hope to the gods that Eakins is as disappointed as I am, and lets them hear about it before game-time tomorrow.

Reactions: The Baffled King

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The Gulls need to stop having Bear/Sock Toss nights, cause I think this is the 2nd time in 4 attempts that the Gulls have been shut out on those nights, and the first one the toss happened on a no-goal.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Tropp just did a number on a 6'4" 220 Eagles defenseman in a fight, the guy is fearless. Dirk must be shedding a tear.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls just can't break through again tonight. Down 1-0 after 2.

I also just feel like mentioning that Zilch is a very good commentator, but his color guy sounds absolutely clueless.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls lose 2-0. I wouldn't say they played poorly overall, but the execution was just off again. And to make matters worse, Murphy left with an injury early in the game.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls just can't break through again tonight. Down 1-0 after 2.

I also just feel like mentioning that Zilch is a very good commentator, but his color guy sounds absolutely clueless.
The color guy is BJ MacPherson, who played with the WCHL Gulls from about 1995 through his career-ending spinal injury suffered on the ice in Boise during the Taylor Cup Finals in 2001 (he was captain on that squad). There was question whether he would even walk again, and his return to San Diego against medical advice to see Game Seven from his stretcher was an emotional moment that helped the Gulls capture their fourth Taylor Cup on home ice in that Game Seven. So, he may not be a great commentator, but he has plenty of in the trenches experience to draw off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad