Orange County, CA
Is he in the lineup today? Puck drop in about 10 minutes, by the way
Yes. Gibbons, however, is not.

DzjL68vV4AACOFa.jpg

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls were outshot 15-3 in the first 15 minutes, but Glass held strong to keep it 0-0. Since then, Carrick, De Leo, Murphy, and Steel have scored to make it 4-0.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
San Jose scores a goal, but Carrick comes right back and scores on a PP breakaway. 5-1.
Also, here is Murphy's impressive goal:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Steel goes bar down on a 2 on 1 to make it 6-1. Glass has been excellent. Another thing I've noticed: Sherwood may not have the offensive talent to be a top 6, or even top 9 player, but this dude can kill penalties by himself. He's so tenacious and strong, he can be a very effective 4th line/PK guys for us in the future.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Great to see Roy back, just another weapon for SD. I wish we'd left Terry down there for now.

HockeyRube

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Curious if anyone has any info on Justin Kloos. Doesn’t look like he has played since 2-8. Did he get injured?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Curious if anyone has any info on Justin Kloos. Doesn’t look like he has played since 2-8. Did he get injured?
AHL injury reports are like chasing high school whispers. Since there is no roster cap, teams don’t need to give information by putting players on IR lists, they just make sure they have enough players to ice a lineup and tend not to make formal announcements of injury status. Most times we find out by the radio broadcaster mentioning something in passing. So, no, no current information on Kloos , alas.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls play in San Jose again at 1:15. We have beaten them 5 times out of 6 meetings this season, which is impressive considering SJ has only lost 18 of 45 games this year.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Zilch just announced Dotchin, Kloos, and Gazdic are out with minor injuries, while Sideroff is out for the year. Sustr is a healthy scratch (lol)

Reactions: HansH

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Steel scores on a breakaway 4 minutes into the game off a nice pass from Cracknell. Gulls have already had 3 or 4 great chances.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
SJ scores twice before the end of the 1st to make it 4-2. Judging by the way this game is going, there are going to be a lot more goals before it's over.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Did I just read what I read correctly? Eakins pulled the goaltender down 5-2 with 9:29 left in regulation.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Did I just read what I read correctly? Eakins pulled the goaltender down 5-2 with 9:29 left in regulation.

It’s ballsy, and probably wouldn’t work most nights, but I can understand the reasoning. Or, I can imagine what he might have been thinking...

Think of it like this: When the team scores a goal, do they look more energized immediately after? More often than not, it seems to be the case, right? There is a morale aspect to scoring a goal. I don’t know if you can quantify it, but it’s certainly visible, right?

At a guess, that may have been what he was trying to do. Score a goal, get that emotional boost, and see if you can capitalize on it and bring the game even closer. 9 minutes is a lot of time, for a 1 or 2 goal game when your team suddenly has the momentum.

The downside, of course, is that 3 goals is not insurmountable in that same span. Difficult, but very possible. But, if your strategy fails, you’re now down by 4, and the game is realistically over. You would be removing any real chance of your team mounting a comeback with that move. Or you’d be creating a situation where they have a better chance, but the odds would probably say the negative result is more likely.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
$1.3M for a guy who would be playing for our ECHL team if we had an affiliate. What a terrible signing.
There appears to be some kind of agreement, if not formal outright affiliation, with ECHL Tulsa -- that's where the majority of our ECHL callups have come from, and where most of the people sent down have gone this season, IIRC.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
It’s ballsy, and probably wouldn’t work most nights, but I can understand the reasoning. Or, I can imagine what he might have been thinking...

Think of it like this: When the team scores a goal, do they look more energized immediately after? More often than not, it seems to be the case, right? There is a morale aspect to scoring a goal. I don’t know if you can quantify it, but it’s certainly visible, right?

At a guess, that may have been what he was trying to do. Score a goal, get that emotional boost, and see if you can capitalize on it and bring the game even closer. 9 minutes is a lot of time, for a 1 or 2 goal game when your team suddenly has the momentum.

The downside, of course, is that 3 goals is not insurmountable in that same span. Difficult, but very possible. But, if your strategy fails, you’re now down by 4, and the game is realistically over. You would be removing any real chance of your team mounting a comeback with that move. Or you’d be creating a situation where they have a better chance, but the odds would probably say the negative result is more likely.

Oh, I understood why they did it, I just wanted some confirmation on it since it's incredibly rare. I haven't really seen that tactic employed by teams at even strength since Roy got fired, I had just assumed they went on a man advantage and wanted zone time.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The Gulls were having a very hard time generating offensive zone time in the 3rd, San Jose did a great job breaking up plays in the neutral zone. So to try and capitalize on some extra offensive zone time, Eakins tried a couple different ideas.

One idea was pulling the goalie with 9:30 after a SJ icing. It did work in helping them take advantage of tired SJ players, and it led to a Steel shot from the slot which was swallowed up by the goalie. After the whistle, SJ changed their tired players so Eakins put Glass back in the net.

A few minutes later, there was another SJ icing, but instead of pulling Glass, Eakins essentially threw a PP unit over the boards, replacing one of the Gulls' dmen with Roy to create a 4 forward unit. Again, it helped create a chance, and Eakins returned to a regular lineup once play was stopped.

These moves just seemed like desperate attempts to change the tempo and try to make the most of the little offensive zone time they had. I thought they worked in that aspect, even though neither move ended up in the back of the net, they created chances when not much else was going on for the team. I suppose when you're down 3 you can afford to make some risky choices like this.

Reactions: HansH

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls up 3-1 after playing a pretty impressive 1st period. Cracknell scored a tap in early on a feed from Kossila. Then Roy and Mahura made a pretty ugly play to give Tucson a shorthanded breakaway goal. Carrick took it back with a nice individual effort off a PP rush. Then Steel made a great shot while shorthanded to make it 3-1. Shots 20-12 in favor of SD.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad