2018-19 AHL Affiliate San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
SD's roster looks pretty stacked on offense.

Would love to see what a line of Jones, Steel and Terry can do.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
We don't have an ECHL affiliate, and the Orlando Solar Bears don't have an AHL or NHL affiliate...

1200px-Orlando_Solar_Bears_logo.svg.png

heffbe

Mar 4, 2014
Carolina
Greenville swamp rabbits ECHL (South Carolina) are looking for a new nhl affiliate as well. Would be awesome!
GreenvilleSwampRabbits.png

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
South Carolina and Orlando would be unideal locations, but I doubt we would have more then 3 players anyhow (i.e. 1 goalie like Redmond, maybe 1 Dman like Forney, and 1 forward likely Kopacka/Dostie). I like the Rabbits mascot though :)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Two months to go until the season opener, but I thought I'd make an update/summer recap now, as the roster has shaped up quite nicely already.

• Firstly, the AHL changed the divisional alignment again, as the league expanded to 31 teams. AHL Pacific is now a 7-team division, consisting of the Condors, Eagles (Colorado's new affiliate), Reign, Gulls, Barracuda, Heat and Roadrunners.
  • Season schedule here. Again, the Pacific teams only play 68 regular season games -- in addition to inter-division games, the Gulls face off against some Central teams in Milwaukee (Nashville), Manitoba (Winnipeg), Iowa (Minnesota), San Antonio (St. Louis) and Texas (Dallas).
  • Numerous roster movements have taken place during the offseason. Berra (NLA), Kerdiles (Winnipeg), Ortega (SHL), Cooper (Milwaukee) and Liambas (Iowa) are the most notable departures. Former Gulls like Schultz and Sabourin are still without contracts, JST has embarked on a tour around Europe.
  • The new arrivals are about as plentiful as the departures: Jared Coreau (G), Chris Forney (D) and Scott Moldenhauer (D) were picked up from the UFA market. AHL star center Ben Street was also brought in on a 1-year, 1-way contract. SoCal native Chase De Leo was acquired via trade. Korbinian Holzer cleared waivers early in the offseason. Fan favourite Corey Tropp was brought back for another year.
  • In addition, the Gulls will be experiencing a bit of youth movement. Top D prospect Josh Mahura joins from Regina/WHL. OHL wingers Max Jones and Jack Kopacka will bring a tremendous amount of size and speed into the lineup. Prized prospects Sam Steel (C) and Troy Terry (RW) also become AHL eligible, but currently it is not known whether the two actually play in San Diego, or whether they/one of them go straight to the NHL roster. A true dark horse in the roster speculation is 2018 1st round pick Isac Lundeström (SHL), who would become AHL eligible upon signing his ELC.
  • There are still a bunch of questions that the Gulls are facing. For example, top players Kalle Kossila, Kevin Roy, Andy Welinski, Marcus Pettersson and Jacob Larsson are all on the cusp of NHL readiness -- which of them will actually return to San Diego for another season?
  • Off-ice questions: head coach Dallas Eakins returns on a multi-year contract, but former assistant coach Marty Wilford was promoted to the Ducks. Who will take his former role in San Diego? And as former PBP personality Craig Elsten was let go by the organization, who will call Gulls' games in the future? Is color commentator BJ MacPhearson staying with the organzation?
  • The Ducks also ended their ECHL affiliation with the Utah Grizzlies, a new affiliate has not yet been named. Will the Ducks try to find a new affiliate immediately, or will they look into that later? Are they even planning on getting an ECHL affiliate?

18-19 roster, as of 8/4:

GDFNHL Tweeners
BoyleMegnaTroppRoy
CoreauOleksyStreetKossila
RedmondMahuraCarrickSteel
HolzerBlandisiTerry
ThompsonFioreLarsson
ForneyDe LeoPettersson
MoldenhauerHultsWelinski
Jones
Kopacka
Dostie
Sherwood
Sideroff
Nättinen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gulls may be stacked

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
Thanks for that write-up Opak! I'm a new member, but I read all of your updates last season.. You were honestly the best way to keep informed last season!

I've been a Gulls fan just as long as I've been a Duck fan and even still have some memorabilia from their three-peat back in the day. So glad that the Samuelis brought them back!

Reactions: Opak

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Two months to go until the season opener, but I thought I'd make an update/summer recap now, as the roster has shaped up quite nicely already.

• Firstly, the AHL changed the divisional alignment again, as the league expanded to 31 teams. AHL Pacific is now a 7-team division, consisting of the Condors, Eagles (Colorado's new affiliate), Reign, Gulls, Barracuda, Heat and Roadrunners.
  • Season schedule here. Again, the Pacific teams only play 68 regular season games -- in addition to inter-division games, the Gulls face off against some Central teams in Milwaukee (Nashville), Manitoba (Winnipeg), Iowa (Minnesota), San Antonio (St. Louis) and Texas (Dallas).
  • Numerous roster movements have taken place during the offseason. Berra (NLA), Kerdiles (Winnipeg), Ortega (SHL), Cooper (Milwaukee) and Liambas (Iowa) are the most notable departures. Former Gulls like Schultz and Sabourin are still without contracts, JST has embarked on a tour around Europe.
  • The new arrivals are about as plentiful as the departures: Jared Coreau (G), Chris Forney (D) and Scott Moldenhauer (D) were picked up from the UFA market. AHL star center Ben Street was also brought in on a 1-year, 1-way contract. SoCal native Chase De Leo was acquired via trade. Korbinian Holzer cleared waivers early in the offseason. Fan favourite Corey Tropp was brought back for another year.
  • In addition, the Gulls will be experiencing a bit of youth movement. Top D prospect Josh Mahura joins from Regina/WHL. OHL wingers Max Jones and Jack Kopacka will bring a tremendous amount of size and speed into the lineup. Prized prospects Sam Steel (C) and Troy Terry (RW) also become AHL eligible, but currently it is not known whether the two actually play in San Diego, or whether they/one of them go straight to the NHL roster. A true dark horse in the roster speculation is 2018 1st round pick Isac Lundeström (SHL), who would become AHL eligible upon signing his ELC.
  • There are still a bunch of questions that the Gulls are facing. For example, top players Kalle Kossila, Kevin Roy, Andy Welinski, Marcus Pettersson and Jacob Larsson are all on the cusp of NHL readiness -- which of them will actually return to San Diego for another season?
  • Off-ice questions: head coach Dallas Eakins returns on a multi-year contract, but former assistant coach Marty Wilford was promoted to the Ducks. Who will take his former role in San Diego? And as former PBP personality Craig Elsten was let go by the organization, who will call Gulls' games in the future? Is color commentator BJ MacPhearson staying with the organzation?
  • The Ducks also ended their ECHL affiliation with the Utah Grizzlies, a new affiliate has not yet been named. Will the Ducks try to find a new affiliate immediately, or will they look into that later? Are they even planning on getting an ECHL affiliate?
18-19 roster, as of 8/4:

GDFNHL Tweeners
BoyleMegnaTroppRoy
CoreauOleksyStreetKossila
RedmondMahuraCarrickSteel
HolzerBlandisiTerry
ThompsonFioreLarsson
ForneyDe LeoPettersson
MoldenhauerHultsWelinski
Jones
Kopacka
Dostie
Sherwood
Sideroff
Nättinen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lundestrom has a mandatory clause in his contract that if he doesn’t make nhl roster he goes back to Sweden as he is still under contract with his SHL team

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks for that write-up Opak! I'm a new member, but I read all of your updates last season.. You were honestly the best way to keep informed last season!

I've been a Gulls fan just as long as I've been a Duck fan and even still have some memorabilia from their three-peat back in the day. So glad that the Samuelis brought them back!

Thanks for the compliments, welcome to the board! :)

Lundestrom has a mandatory clause in his contract that if he doesn’t make nhl roster he goes back to Sweden as he is still under contract with his SHL team

I find this difficult to believe. There's plenty of history of Euro first rounders, who went to the AHL for their D+1 season.

IIRC, the NHL-IIHF transfer agreement dictates that an Euro first rounder, after the ELC has been signed, can freely be assigned as the NHL club sees fit. This applies even if said prospect was previously under contract, as the NHL contract "overrides" the existing Euro contract.

As a recent example from Sweden, Timothy Liljegren signed a 2-year contract with Rögle (SHL) in March 2016, meaning that he was under contract for the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons. Liljegren was drafted in the 1st round last year, after which he went straight into Toronto's 17-18 AHL roster, regardless of his previous commitment. Similar arrangements were also made to Rasmus Ristolainen, Mikko Rantanen, William Nylander (mid-season!) and, if my old memory serves correctly, Hampus Lindholm.

Of course, this is not a guarantee that Lundeström will suit up for the Gulls next season. All I'm saying is that, based on recent history with Europe-to-NHL player transfers, it's possible for him to move to the AHL as soon as next season. Then again, it's also possible that he starts the season in Europe and comes over to the AHL later during the season, like Nylander did. It's also possible that the Ducks leave him to Sweden for the entire season, who knows?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's already said if he doesnt make the big team he's going back to Sweden....

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Forgot to post this a couple days ago, but the Gulls have found a replacement for Elsten on their broadcasts, and he seems to have a pretty impressive resume.

Reactions: Opak

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
An old Andy Zilch interview here. A broadcasting sample here.

The difference in style in comparison to Elsten is definitely noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->