2018-19 AHL Affiliate San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
They weren't as dominant as last night (the Reign are really bad), but they were still the better team tonight. I was listening to the Iowa feed and before the game they said Boyle was 13-1-1 in his last 15 starts with a 2.20 GAA. He looked very good tonight and made those numbers even better.

Also, since Dec. 18:
Ducks - 2-11-4
Gulls - 15-2-2

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm a bit confused. The line score indicates that the Gulls were ahead 2-1 after 2 periods. However, despite leading after 40, they outshot their opponent 16-8 in the 3rd? I didn't realize that this was allowed.
They've been doing that almost every game for the last 2 months, not sure if it's a fitness thing or a skill thing, but I like it

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Let's get this more active... You can buy ahl live single team pass (gulls) for 35 dollars.... Do it!!!

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here is Eakins talking about the team's play of late. The last part was what intrigued me. He talked about the group's fitness level being exceptional and that they practice very hard. Something I mentioned a couple of posts up was how badly the Gulls outplay teams in 3rd periods, even when they're ahead.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I know it’s not fair since I’m not there

But that has to sound foreign to the guys in Anaheim right now

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Here is Eakins talking about the team's play of late. The last part was what intrigued me. He talked about the group's fitness level being exceptional and that they practice very hard. Something I mentioned a couple of posts up was how badly the Gulls outplay teams in 3rd periods, even when they're ahead.

Always thought he is a very good coach, no matter what happened in Edmonton.

Reactions: Exit Dose

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Hold up, they weren't comfortable with their system, so Eakins went out and made some tweaks? Revolutionary, I must know more about this concept. Perhaps it can be exported to the NHL team.

Reactions: anezthes

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Here’s a crazy thing about this stretch for the Gulls. They've gotten points in 19 of 21 games (16-2-3), and risen to the 2nd best percentage in the division. However, going back a little further, the Division-leading Barracuda have gotten points in 19 of 24 games (16-5-3)... and have gone 1-3-1 against the Gulls in that stretch. Without those head to head games, the Barracuda are 15-2-2 against the rest of the league in that stretch, explaining why they STILL maintain a five point lead over the Gulls with two games in hand.

Also, don't sleep on the Condors, who without appearing to make much noise have gone on a 10-game winning streak to stay quite actively in the mix for first-round home ice.

The Gulls aren’t going to be able to just coast in the remaining 26 games. Next Tuesday will mark the beginning of the final third of the schedule, and Bakersfield (two points ahead but with two more GP) and Tucson (two points behind with equal GP) aren’t just going to lie down and give the Gulls an easy path to home ice in the post-season.

Their remaining schedule sorts out like this:

San Jose (.725 winning percentage, 1st in Pacific) - 5 games (2 home, 3 away)
Colorado (.558, 5th) - 4 games (2h/2a)
Stockton (.456, 6th) - 4 games (2h/2a)
Ontario (.390, 7th) - 4 games (3h/1a)
Bakersfield (.625, 2nd) - 3 games (1h/2a)
Tucson (.607, 4th) - 3 games (1h/2a)
Manitoba (.500, 8th in Central) - 2 games (both in Winnipeg)
San Antonio (.522, 7th in Central) - 1 game (in San Diego)

Reactions: duxfan1101

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Should also be noted that Bakersfield has won 10 in a row.
Gulls play Wednesday and Friday against the league-worst Ontario team, then we play Bakersfield on Saturday.

Reactions: HansH
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Some time ago I saw a tweet, I believe it was from Teaford, that the Gulls employ the same system as the Ducks. Which makes sense when you're calling up players, they're already familiar with it. I wonder if Eakins has been ok'd to start implementing more of a system of his own with sights set to the future and him potentially being the successor for Carlyle, he can already get things going with the young guys down in SD. It's also encouraging that it seems to be working and seems very successful. However, pure speculation on my part.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Some time ago I saw a tweet, I believe it was from Teaford, that the Gulls employ the same system as the Ducks. Which makes sense when you're calling up players, they're already familiar with it. I wonder if Eakins has been ok'd to start implementing more of a system of his own with sights set to the future and him potentially being the successor for Carlyle, he can already get things going with the young guys down in SD. It's also encouraging that it seems to be working and seems very successful. However, pure speculation on my part.
Why would he, the system works great.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`m leaning towards thinking that Eakins Gulls would have had a better stretch run since the December 17 than the Ducks

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
No transactions as far as I can see since the Gulls sent Dostie down to ECHL Tulsa on Saturday. Here's hoping the Gulls don't play down to the Reign's level tonight, and can jump out to an early lead.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sounds like larsson is back in ... Also

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Jones is a fun guy to watch. All on one shift, he ripped one of the post, then he somehow simultaneously deked and absolutely decked Mitchell on the Reign, then he took a bit of a weak hooking penalty. The kid has a motor for sure.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls down 4-2 after 2. Goals by Sherwood and Carrick.
They just look a bit off tonight. They've had plenty of good opportunities ruined by a poor pass at the very end of nice plays. The game has also gotten more physical as it's gone on, MacDermid in particular is seriously trying to end Max Jones every chance he gets. Luckily Max has avoided all of the big hits so far. The Gulls have still been the better team and I expect them to come out firing in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce