2018-19 AHL Affiliate San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We are going to have awesome depth going forward the biggest issue I see with our prospect cupboard is nobody with top end upside. I see a lot of high end second liners, maybe low end first line guys if they work out but nobody on the level Getzlaf has been for us the past decade.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We are going to have awesome depth going forward the biggest issue I see with our prospect cupboard is nobody with top end upside. I see a lot of high end second liners, maybe low end first line guys if they work out but nobody on the level Getzlaf has been for us the past decade.
Which makes me think that after drafting D-men they'll draft at least 1 more Center.
Their fine on wingers thanks to Kase, Aberg, Sprong, Rakell, Ritchie, Jones, Terry but no 1C type center prospect yet.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Which makes me think that after drafting D-men they'll draft at least 1 more Center.
Their fine on wingers thanks to Kase, Aberg, Sprong, Rakell, Ritchie, Jones, Terry but no 1C type center prospect yet.

I still don’t see any top end talent on the wings (as in elite talent) either. Rakell and Kase likely top out as low end 1st liners, maybe Terry too but the rest I think have 2nd line upside.

Hopefully at some point over the next few years a top end forward talent becomes available and we can make a quantity for quality trade

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
The Gulls has 11 power plays last night?! Geez. I need to get out to the rivalry game at some point

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
This week in San Diego: the Xmas edition

12/19 - Gulls hand a 6-1 trashing vs the division-leading San Jose squad. Highlights here. Blandisi with a goal of the year candidate @ 2:01.
12/21 - Gulls defeat Ontario 3-5.
12/22 - Gulls lose to Ontario in SO, after a rather wild 6-7 result. Highlights here.

The Gulls vs Reign double header did not disappoint -- the two teams managed to combine for 21 goals, 6 fights and 184 penalty minutes. Too bad that the two teams have been in the bottom of the AHL Pacific this season.

Speaking of the bottom of the division, the Gulls are no longer there -- thanks to getting 8 points out of their last 5 games, they are now tied for 5th in the division in PCT (exactly .500). This is a drastic contrast in comparison to their massive losing streak earlier, they have to continue squeezing points from each game, if they still have ambitions of playing hockey this spring.

Top scorers:
Sam Carrick - 22GP, 15+11=26
Troy Terry - 23GP, 10+16=26
Corey Tropp - 25GP, 8+12=20
Chase De Leo - 25GP, 6+13=19
Kalle Kossila - 15GP, 7+9=16
Max Jones - 23GP, 8+7=15
Joe Blandisi - 17GP, 5+9=14
Sam Steel - 19GP, 5+8=13

Extra:
"Original Gull" Matt Berry thanked San Diego for the PTO by scoring 6 points in his first 7 games this season. Berry's return to San Diego has been very successful so far, IMO they must offer him a contract for the rest of the year...

Reactions: HansH

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I still don’t see any top end talent on the wings (as in elite talent) either. Rakell and Kase likely top out as low end 1st liners, maybe Terry too but the rest I think have 2nd line upside.

Hopefully at some point over the next few years a top end forward talent becomes available and we can make a quantity for quality trade

Or... maybe we become the updated version of the 2018 Vegas Knights in the future. Not a top line talent, but four lines of 2nd liners with a top end blue line and a vezina netminder.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry is sick (OT game winner) .... Murphy gets his first goal in his first game... Max jones with a sick power move goal

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Last week in San Diego: the end of 2018 edition

12/27 - Gulls defeat Bako 3-4.
12/29 - Gulls hand Bako another loss, final score 3-2 after OT.
12/30 - Gulls hand Cuda a 5-1 loss.

After hitting a rough patch, the Gulls have (for now) managed to claw themselves out of the bottom of the AHL Pacific. They finished December winning 3 in a row, plus they are 6-0-2 in their last 8 games. These much-needed points have them tied for 4th in the division (5th in PCT), although they are only 2 points away from ranking 3rd. San Jose and Tucson have so far been in a league of their own, but the competition for that 3rd place in the Pacific looks to be merciless this season.

The Oleksy for Cracknell and Glass trade ended up only being the start of what could be considered a mini-makeover on the fly. Gio Fiore was traded to ARI for Trevor Murphy, while Jake Marchment and Steve McParland were signed to PTOs. Andy Welinski was recalled to the Ducks, which in turn led to Andrej Sustr's return to San Diego. Goaltender Angus Redmond was recalled from the ECHL.

While Isac Lundeström was loaned to team Sweden in the currently ongoing WJC tournament, Adam Cracknell and Jared Coreau were loaned to team Canada for the upcoming Spengler Cup. Corey Tropp did not play in any of the last 3 games, which might unfortunately point to an injury. Tyler Soy's SPC was terminated, he heads to the University of Alberta.

San Diego's top guys came through this week. Kalle Kossila (2 G, 6 PTS) and Troy Terry (2 G, 5 PTS) led the offense, while strong performances from Max Jones (2G, 4 PTS), Sam Carrick (2 G, 3 PTS) and Chase De Leo (1 G, 3 PTS) added more punch on the offensive end. New arrival Trevor Murphy also chipped in with a goal and an assist in his first two games as a Gull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad