2018-19 AHL Affiliate San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
This week in San Diego:

11/28 - Gulls lose 5-1 to Manitoba, Luke Schenn with the lone goal. I don't know what started it, but tempers flared a bit in the 3rd period, setting the stage for the next encounter.
11/30 - Gulls get their payback, defeat Manitoba 2-1. Jones with a beauty goal and Blandisi with the short-handed game winner. This game was ugly, as the zebras handed a grand total of 108 penalty minutes for what went down on the ice. Corey Tropp received 34 of those minutes: two minors, two fighting majors and two 10min misconducts. Tropper will most likely get disciplined by the AHL for this performance.

The Gulls play in Manitoba on March 17th and 19th, mark the dates in your calendars -- I don't think that the two teams have shook hands and agreed to play nice...

San Diego is tied for 4th in the AHL Pacific (.529 PCT), but they still have the least amount of points with the fewest amount of games played.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls play tonight in San Jose @ 7. Here is their lineup:

Lundestrom has been bumped down to the 3rd line (Carrick's spot) in favor of Kossila, who is now playing with Jones and Terry. Megna has returned from injury, meaning I think Kopacka and Roy are the only injured Gulls players currently.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Gulls play tonight in San Jose @ 7. Here is their lineup:

Lundestrom has been bumped down to the 3rd line (Carrick's spot) in favor of Kossila, who is now playing with Jones and Terry. Megna has returned from injury, meaning I think Kopacka and Roy are the only injured Gulls players currently.

Holzer?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think that's only because he's been hurt the whole season and can't be sent down. He'll be waived once he returns.

Roy’s not on the Ducks roster though. Think they have some kind of other arrangement with Holzer.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
2 more apples for Mr. Terry tonight, both primary assists. Put that on top of this nugget from Felix Sicard earlier in the week

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looks like Troy Terry is above average AHL player

chill out, also 99 from 100 is above average

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
This week in San Diego: Gulls play 4 games, lose all of them.

12/3 - Gulls @ Barracuda 3-5
12/5 - Tucson @ Gulls 5-2
12/7 - Gulls @ Eagles 0-2
12/8 - Gulls @ Eagles 3-4

Outscored 8-16 on a 4-game skid. 8-11-2 record, three wins in their last 10. Dead last in the Pacific in points and PCT, only San Antonio and Laval have a worse PCT in the entire league.

Times are dark in SD, they need some serious help. They can't score, the defense is terrible and the goalies haven't done their part either. The management of the defensemen has especially been atrocious this season -- who would've thought that Schenn and Sustr were godawful signings? Now they're stuck in San Diego for the time being, taking all the extra veteran spots in the process. Pettersson got traded, Mahura and Larsson are with the Ducks covering injuries and Welinski is sitting on the Ducks' bench as a 7th defenseman, because Bob can't reliably send him to SD due to waiver eligibility.

It's as if Bob and his buddies simply don't realize and/or care how waiver eligibility and AHL's veteran rule affect the way AHL rosters have to be managed. Waiving a guy like Sustr into SD in favor of promoting a younger player has actual consequences, it's not just a "get out of jail for free" -card, if the intention is to ice a competitive AHL team. You also can't hang on to guys like Welinski for too long, especially if you don't plan on actually playing them (Nov 28 is the last time he got NHL ice time)... :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Beretta 390

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I think he will move Welinski soon, hopefully not via waivers, he may just be giving Dotchin enough games to really own that spot while he is supposedly looking for another LD for the big club. I think one of Schenn/Sustr comes back up to be the 7th man, and one of, if not both, Larsson/Mahura go back down. I'm sure Bob is aware of how it all intertwines and isn't apathetic to the woes in SD. The talk of adding another scorer may mean a forward heading down to SD at some point as well, though the only guy that is safe to send there is Sherwood.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Times are dark in SD, they need some serious help. They can't score, the defense is terrible and the goalies haven't done their part either.

Honestly, that's part of the reason I haven't been contributing on the thread lately -- there's just not that much light to be seen at the end of the tunnel, other than the whole "the AHL roster in December is never the same as the AHL roster in March" general theory. I'm not smart enough to know what possible solutions there are - all I can do is try to be zen about the results I see from the stands.

I mean, it's not like the coaching staff isn't trying -- they've been going with 5 forwards on the PP1 unit for weeks now in aggressive attempts to up the PP scoring. The players are trying, for the most part -- third- and fourth-liners like Dostie and Ben Thompson have been playing with effort, but their skill level can only bring so much to the table. And I don't know what to think about our goalie duo -- most of the time it doesn't appear to be their fault when games get out of control.

Bright side -- I may be saving money on playoff tickets for the 2nd year in a row.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hopefully the Ducks can acquire a decent LD return at least Mahura for the time being. It doesn’t help that we’ve called upon the kids and sent down guys like Sustr and Schenn who I imagine aren’t helping a hell of a lot down in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad