2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Queens upsets McGill 4-2 and qualify for the Nationals for the first time in decades.
Only got to see the end of the third period. Dylan Anderson with a hat trick for the Gaels. Happy to see them advance as they are the only team left remaining that I have never seen live before.

Windsor extends their series against York. Game 3 tomorrow night.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's likely York/Queen's go in as the number 3 and 4 seeds in some order, given all four AUS/CW finalists are ranked ahead of them in the latest top 10.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Saskatchewan ties the series with Alberta with a 2-0 win. Burke was stellar in net for the Golden Bears who were outplayed by the Huskies. Not going to be able to watch game three. Should be a good one.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Playoffs

OUA bronze medal game will determine the 3'rd OUA berth at Nationals.
I assume that McGill will have home ice advantage.
I say the Redmen over the Lancers in this one, which means they will go into the Nationals as most likely the 8'th seed in the single knockout tournament. If UNB beats X in the AUS final, it would set up a potential McGill vs UNB clash. If X wins and Saskatchewan beats Alberta for the CanadaWest title, the Huskies would go in as #1 seed and draw the OUA bronze medal winner, setting up a possible Sask vs McGill match up.
Predicting a winner from the AUS bronze medal best of three series will be difficult. A ton of pressure on Darren Burns and the Axemen to win this series, after numerous AUS playoff and Nationals failures, as of recent years. They are up against the defending CIS bronze medallist, who should have some bodies back from a depleted lineup, that lost to UNB. If Chevaldave plays the way he did against the V-Reds, Acadia will be in tough, I expect a aphysical push by the Axe , but they will need a solid effort in nets to get by SMU. Huskies in 3.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If UNB and McGill win...you could have a pool with those two + Alberta/Saskatchewan loser.

If UNB loses they most likely go in at 5 and get the OUA runner-up in their first game. Like last year, that might turn out to be the easier path.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If McGill goes in as the OUA 3rd, I could see them being 7 and the AUS 3rd being 8 (provided X wins AUS).

Still lots of different scenarios...will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
OUA bronze medal game will determine the 3'rd OUA berth at Nationals.
I assume that McGill will have home ice advantage.

Actually Windsor has home ice advantage because they are an Ontario team. It is due to an agreement the Quebec teams made when they joined the OUA way back when. This same scenario happened two years ago when the Lancers upset the Redmen in the bronze medal game to earn a trip to the Nationals.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
If McGill goes in as the OUA 3rd, I could see them being 7 and the AUS 3rd being 8 (provided X wins AUS).

Still lots of different scenarios...will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

If SMU, McGill, and UNB all win their respective series/games, the avoidance of conference matchups might really bite the Redmen. You would be hard-pressed to rationally rank SMU ahead of McGill, but the desire to avoid interconference games in round 1 would force the Redmen into the 8th seed and a date with the hosts, in front of a raucous crowd. No doubt that McGill would feel short-changed if this came to fruition.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Actually Windsor has home ice advantage because they are an Ontario team. It is due to an agreement the Quebec teams made when they joined the OUA way back when. This same scenario happened two years ago when the Lancers upset the Redmen in the bronze medal game to earn a trip to the Nationals.

I'm not 100% sure about that. Windsor had the better record than McGill that year, so I think that may have been the reason they had home ice. I think the Ontario school always having home ice over the Quebec school only applies to the Queen's Cup.

I could easily be wrong on this though, someone please correct me if I am.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
If UNB and McGill win...you could have a pool with those two + Alberta/Saskatchewan loser.

If UNB loses they most likely go in at 5 and get the OUA runner-up in their first game. Like last year, that might turn out to be the easier path.

If UNB does lose to X, the highest that they can be ranked is #5.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I'm not 100% sure about that. Windsor had the better record than McGill that year, so I think that may have been the reason they had home ice. I think the Ontario school always having home ice over the Quebec school only applies to the Queen's Cup.

I could easily be wrong on this though, someone please correct me if I am.

You're correct - the Quebec-Ontario agreement is applicable for the Queen's Cup only. In the 2015 bronze game, Windsor had home ice with 45 points (McGill had 42).

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
....and let's not forget 2010 when UQTR hosted Western in the bronze game----perhaps the greatest meltdown (or comeback) in CIS men's playoff hockey history (Dutch loves this linescore) http://en.usports.ca/championships/mice/2009-10/postseason-boxscores/20100313_rlhm.xml

Can confirm the legend of this game lives on with coaches, broadcasters and administrators around the league. Adds to the mythical status of those UQTR teams and that arena.

Also: Last game Western G Keyvan Hunt ever played. What a crap way to finish your career. :amazed:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Alberta wins CW. They will most likely be ranked either #1 (if X wins AUS) or #2 (if UNB wins AUS) at the University Cup.

Although I feel it would be unlikely, it could be possible X jumps ahead of them if they sweep UNB and the voters think that is more impressive than Alberta beating Saskatchewan in 3. Alberta was 4 and St. FX was 5 in most recent poll.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If SMU, McGill, and UNB all win their respective series/games, the avoidance of conference matchups might really bite the Redmen. You would be hard-pressed to rationally rank SMU ahead of McGill, but the desire to avoid interconference games in round 1 would force the Redmen into the 8th seed and a date with the hosts, in front of a raucous crowd. No doubt that McGill would feel short-changed if this came to fruition.

UNB would probably rather face SMU than McGill too, but I doubt it would happen.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bears win 14th Canada West Title in 17 seasons

Alberta wins 6-3 tonight and takes best-of-three Canada West Final 2-1 right in Saskatoon at the 'ole Dawg House.
Goaltender Brendan Burke, kept the Bears in it through the first 30 minutes or so when Saskatchewan was better.
Alberta had another gear and got there in the third scoring 4 goals including a hat-trick from Jamie Crooks who scored 37 and 33 goals in back-to-back seasons in the WHL.
Bears sat former WHL 50 goal scorer Todd Fiddler.
Cole Sanford, who scored 50 a couple seasons ago in Medicine Hat scored a huge PP goal in the 2nd.
This is a surprise Conference title for the Bears.
They dressed 11 Freshman tonight!
At the University Cup in Fredericton an inexperienced Alberta team could be bounced on the first day...or end up in the final...all bets are off!

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Alberta claims Canada West title in Saskatchewan

A big momentum swing at the Dog House ....

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/lo...uskies-as-bears-take-canada-west-hockey-title

Huskies didn't capitalize on their chances earlier on and had a goal disallowed, which in retrospect, really hurt them.
Cable's tripping penalty late in the second was a terrible call as the Bears player merely tripped on his own and Cable was only guilty because his stick was in the proximity. In the third, scrum in front of Alberta net gets evened up somehow?

Yet, Bears were better team for the second half of that game and stole momentum and control away from the host Dogs. That much can not be denied.

Both teams should have a chance to do something at U Cup.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB would probably rather face SMU than McGill too, but I doubt it would happen.

They wouldn't play an AUS team in the first round.

The tournament committee has leeway in the first round to move teams to avoid inter-conference match-ups. If UNB is 1st, they would not play the AUS Bronze team - they would play the OUA Bronze team instead.

The top 4 seeds do not change spots - the bottom 4 can be moved 1 spot up/down to avoid inter-conference match-ups in the first round.

ps. I would rather play McGill - they'll want to go toe-2-toe and run-and-gun with UNB which I see UNB winning while SMU will sit back and wait to counter attack which has worked for them (and SFX to some degree) on the odd occasion - at UCup, it only has to work once.

Last edited:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta vs Conferences

Since the inception of the 6-team format back in 1997-98 in Saskatoon here is a look at Alberta's record vs the respective Conferences at the University Cup:

Alberta vs OUA: 18-4
Alberta vs CW: 4-0
Alberta vs. AUS 7-10

Alberta has won 5 of the last 6 University Cup's hosted by a Canada West School.

This reinforces how impressive the Ian Herbers-Coached Golden Bears were in Halifax in 2015.

Bears outscored X/UQTR/UNB by a combined 16-5 score and outshot them 100-39.

Last edited:

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Hey Bob, speaking of Coach Ian Herbers, any truth to the rumour he has a 2 year leave of Absence or window from the U of A?
My buddies here in Winnipeg have said he is no longer on the Oilers bench and that had the Bears not bounced Sask last weekend that U of A were all over a Herbers return to the CIS or USports as it is called now.
You like to up date us on this Bear stuff what is the scoop Robert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad