2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The first year final was between Alberta and UNB, drawing under 4,000, but the city was blasted with a huge snowstorm on the same weekend, indeed a big factor. Like this year, that hit a couple of days prior to the event.
I thought that there was a better crowd than that, I guess my memory is not as good as it once was. I do remember the snow storm that hit Halifax, the drive home the next day was white knuckle the entire way.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I suspect you will see Saskatoon hold off on bidding for it until Merlis Belsher Place is built. Despite getting huge crowds at what is now SaskTel Centre for games in the past, there is a new scheduling wrinkle that the arena has to deal with. The National Lacrosse League's Saskatchewan Rush play there and play basically alternating weekends with the Blades. The NLL season runs from January until June. The Rush sell out the building every game with crowds of over 15,000. I can't see the arena telling them to take a hike in the middle of their season, especially considering the Blades may somehow be in the playoffs then too.

The scuttlebutt in Saskatoon is that the new arena will host the University Cup. It will be far smaller in scale as Merlis Belsher Place is planned to hold 3,500. But from concept drawings it looks to be a fantastic facility. They are building a second pad for community use, so that could even be used as a practice rink during the tournament.

Either way it will be a far better rink than Rutherford Rink currently is. Complaining about walking on the concourse in Freddy Beach makes me laugh when I think of Rutherford. I was at game three of the Canada West Finals this year and that was the most packed I had ever seen it. They actually called it sold out, which that series was the first time I had ever heard them call a game sold out. I was lucky enough to snag a bench seat for the game. But had to get up to use the lone washroom during the second intermission and there were two rows of people standing along the upper walkway that is really about maybe 6 feet wide. Really, had there been a fire, most people would have died trying to get out. If you ever want to see what a rink built in 1929 was like, please come out to Saskatoon for a game.

The building itself is so small, that the Zamboni sits in a small garage section they built behind the boards. There is a portion of the boards that lifts like a garage door to allow the Zamboni in and out. It really is something to experience at least once.

It had been years since I went to a game there and forgot that you need to show up mid-afternoon to secure a centre ice spot or you won't be able to see the whole ice surface. After being jammed into Rutherford, Merlis Belsher Place will feel like a mansion.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting to see who bids on the 2019/2020 tournaments. We should know who bid shortly...it was mid-September 2015 when UNB/Toronto were announced as the two candidates to host 17/18 and UNB was announced as the host a month or so later.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It will be interesting to see who bids on the 2019/2020 tournaments. We should know who bid shortly...it was mid-September 2015 when UNB/Toronto were announced as the two candidates to host 17/18 and UNB was announced as the host a month or so later.

I wonder if we will see another joint bid for Halifax? Would like to see Acadia host for once.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Thurs March 15 - Sun March 18 (UCup 56 - UNB)

Here are the dates for the next three(3)
- Thurs March 14 - Sun March 17 (UCup 57)
- Thurs March 12 - Sun March 15 (UCup 58)
- Thurs March 18 - Sun March 21 (UCup 59)

Deadline for bids was July 14th
Announcement is Oct. 1st

Not listed on the CIS/USPORTS agenda is the per-announcement of who bid which is generally mid-September (probably the 21st).

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
I've got a section on this coming out in the next Tuesday Morning Skate column, so I've been talking with a bunch of schools all week about this.

The call for bids and bid books were just distributed on August 16th.

The deadline for bid submissions is December 8th.

Presentation of submissions will begin on December 13th to a U SPORTS committee.

And finally, the winner(s) will be notified on December 20th.

As for who's putting in a bid/seriously considering it, Halifax seems to be an early favourite, that would see Acadia host at some point.

Ryerson has mulled the idea, but they're a little apprehensive about it after having their women's volleyball team swept away at the national tournament they hosted last year. Duco needs to prove to the athletic director the Rams can compete before he'll bid.

When I was in Fredericton, I was tipped off that U Ottawa and Carleton may have been in preliminary talks about a joint-bid that would see the U Cup come to TD Place and the nation's capital. Fun idea, but both programs appear to be a ways from national contention, and haven't heard much of anything since the supposed 'preliminary talks'

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
As for who's putting in a bid/seriously considering it, Halifax seems to be an early favourite, that would see Acadia host at some point.

I would love to see Acadia host the tournament (in Halifax, not sure if Wolfeville would be financially viable though), just curious if they would be the hosts for the two years or if they would partner up like St FX and SMU did. I assume if they did, it would be SMU, I'm not sure that DAL has the team for Nationals yet, although in a win or go home tournament, you just never know how far Corbin Boes could carry them. Would definitely be a boost for recruiting for DAL.

I suspect if a bid comes in from anywhere west of Fredericton, it would be the front runner after having the Nationals in the Maritimes for the past 4 years.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I've got a section on this coming out in the next Tuesday Morning Skate column, so I've been talking with a bunch of schools all week about this.

The call for bids and bid books were just distributed on August 16th.

The deadline for bid submissions is December 8th.

Presentation of submissions will begin on December 13th to a U SPORTS committee.

And finally, the winner(s) will be notified on December 20th.

Wow - that's leaving it late. Probably the latest they've ever announced - two months later than the last to announcements.

> 2017 & 18 (UNB) announced on Oct. 30th, 2015
> 2015 & 16 (SFX/SMU) announced on Oct. 23rd, 2013
> 2013 & 14 (USask) announced on July 6th, 2010 (2 full seasons early)
> 2011 & 12 (UNB) announced on Dec. 8th, 2008 (2 full seasons early)
> 2009 & 10 (Lakehead) announced on June 20th, 2006 (2 full seasons early)

I would love Ottawa, but agree that with a new coach at Carleton and a young UoO team, it may not be the right time.

Acadia in Halifax would be good or Acadia/DAL (go Boes)

Man or Cal would also be interesting locations but they have to compete with the NHL and WHL.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in Halifax (Acadia/SMU/STFX) because the tournament can make more money there.

Ryerson would be a great host. If your team gets eliminated early there are plenty of things to do in Toronto. How many does the Mattamy Athletic Centre hold?

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Might be too small.

I understand the economics of return on investment, but honestly, if the numbers can work, I don't believe that there's any such thing as too small for an event like this in Ontario. the half-full (or less) Ricoh Coliseum would be a much worse option, despite having a capacity more in-line with recent hosts. They would likely be fortunate to sell out 2300 seats at Mattamy - even for RYE games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will be interesting if we have another UNB vs. OofT situation where a known, recent host goes against an unknown host who hasn't hosted ever or in a long time. I don't know if the CIS can afford to be taking too much of a risk, and we know having the games look good on tv (i.e./ full rinks) is a big deal to Sportsnet....so I think they lean toward the more sure thing. Of course the downside is that it is difficult to grow the sport if you never put it in new places, and it might start to get a bit stale if you keep going back to the same well again and again.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I am wondering if the CIS brass will be a bit gun shy about putting the Nationals in a big market given the recent poor attendance in Toronto and Montreal for the World Jr's?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I am wondering if the CIS brass will be a bit gun shy about putting the Nationals in a big market given the recent poor attendance in Toronto and Montreal for the World Jr's?

I hope not. They need the right size venue which looks good on TV. Toronto is easy to arrange a last-minute flight if your team qualifies.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I don't think there is a viable host location in Ontario for the Nationals right now. Thunder Bay and Ottawa are both potentials, but they need to have local teams playing well at the time. OUA hockey is tumbleweeds everywhere except Thunder Bay and, even there, it's nowhere what it used to be.

I get the attraction of Toronto. But unless there is some kind of marketing magic, they run the risk of the MAC looking great on TV except for all of the empty seats. York has been a very good team the past two years, but no fans. U of T are down right now and have been mediocre for the better part of 30 years after having a dynasty; they play in a great old building but draw in the low hundreds. Last year Ryerson had its best year ever and were tops in the OUA regular season with 46 points. They had 3 home playoff games; attendance: 202, 221, 329. Other than out of towners, I just don't know who attends...there are just too many other entertainment options in Toronto and there is next to zero interest in or visibility of university hockey.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I don't think there is a viable host location in Ontario for the Nationals right now. Thunder Bay and Ottawa are both potentials, but they need to have local teams playing well at the time. OUA hockey is tumbleweeds everywhere except Thunder Bay and, even there, it's nowhere what it used to be.

I get the attraction of Toronto. But unless there is some kind of marketing magic, they run the risk of the MAC looking great on TV except for all of the empty seats. York has been a very good team the past two years, but no fans. U of T are down right now and have been mediocre for the better part of 30 years after having a dynasty; they play in a great old building but draw in the low hundreds. Last year Ryerson had its best year ever and were tops in the OUA regular season with 46 points. They had 3 home playoff games; attendance: 202, 221, 329. Other than out of towners, I just don't know who attends...there are just too many other entertainment options in Toronto and there is next to zero interest in or visibility of university hockey.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Might be too small.

Keep in mind that Ryerson owns the facility, so (unlike Halifax) they won't be paying anything to rent it.

That lowers the break-even point substantially, so, much like Alberta hosting at Clare Drake, Ryerson could make money even in such a small arena.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

That had more to do with the ridiculous ticket prices than the level of interest. Hockey Canada was selling Junior hockey at NHL prices, and failed.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Ryerson is the only really viable OUA host. Yes, their fan support is limited, but they have several factors in their favour.

First, the cost of travel to Toronto will be far less than it is to Halifax, Fredericton, Edmonton, or Saskatoon. So, as a starting point, Ryerson needs to bring in a lot less money than other venues to break even.

Second, there is ample sponsorship available in Toronto ... and Ryerson is an attractive market.

The main issue with Ryerson will be ticket sales. But, because they'll have much lower costs than other hosts, they won't need to sell 4000 seats to make money.

Ryerson is also quite desperate to establish itself as a top university. I can see them willing to lose money on the tournament.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ryerson is the only really viable OUA host. Yes, their fan support is limited, but they have several factors in their favour.

First, the cost of travel to Toronto will be far less than it is to Halifax, Fredericton, Edmonton, or Saskatoon. So, as a starting point, Ryerson needs to bring in a lot less money than other venues to break even.

Second, there is ample sponsorship available in Toronto ... and Ryerson is an attractive market.

The main issue with Ryerson will be ticket sales. But, because they'll have much lower costs than other hosts, they won't need to sell 4000 seats to make money.

Ryerson is also quite desperate to establish itself as a top university. I can see them willing to lose money on the tournament.

Good points. Selfishly I hope Halifax gets it again but won't complain if it goes to Ryerson. Plenty to do in Toronto if your team gets eliminated early.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

I would cheer for a Ryerson bid. But anybody outside the AUS willing to host should get their shot. Every city is a potential winning market and should be encouraged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->