2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I didn't realize SMU was missing that many guys...I knew they were banged up but I thought they were still icing a full roster. They started the game with only 15 skaters and then lost Pereira in the first period for the game and then someone else (Bateman maybe??) later. They finished the game with only 13 guys. They are going to be in tough to make Nationals at this rate.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I didn't realize SMU was missing that many guys...I knew they were banged up but I thought they were still icing a full roster. They started the game with only 15 skaters and then lost Pereira in the first period for the game and then someone else (Bateman maybe??) later. They finished the game with only 13 guys. They are going to be in tough to make Nationals at this rate.
Did Steinberg not support the AUS roster cap?
Facing UNB with 13 skaters is a recipe for disaster.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Yes it was Bateman that left in the third, he took a hit along the boards late in the second and he didn't look good going to the bench. It wasn't a hard hit or anything, but his shoulder was hanging down and he looked dazed. Then in the third he took another hit along the boards in their zone and then left.

Did Steinberg not support the AUS roster cap?
Facing UNB with 13 skaters is a recipe for disaster.

I believe it was all the NS teams who voted for the cap, but realistically, who would be available this late in the season, given they were already registered in school.

I can't say that I am surprised with the result in Acadia, I have no idea when it comes to playoffs, they don't seem to do well. Perhaps the layoff didn't benefit them. Still lots to go in that series as well.

Check out Victor Findlay's twitter for the video of Caissy's goal! http://twitter.com/Finder_24

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Bateman is not a big guy and is prone to "injury" when hit by bigger players. I'm not surprised.

As far are the player cap, who cares who voted for it or not? It's in the rules and all teams can be affected by it. This year it's SMU's turn.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Bears survived in overtime 5-4 in wild game over the Dinos. It was a goaltending battle in the first but that did not last long. Burke got pulled after 3 goals in 45 seconds in the second and Siemens came in and shut the door the rest of the way. Greenfield let in a weak tying goal in the third and the winner was a harmless shot on goal that may have been tipped.

Bears will have to play more disciplined hockey if the hope to finish off the series. They got into penalty trouble which allowed the Dinos to hang around and gain momentum in the second.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod for both teams in net tomorrow as the starters from tonight have some serious question marks.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Aus

It's looking like an X vs UNB final and SMU vs Acadia playoff for the 3'rd AUS Nationals berth.
X has beaten the Axemen 6 times this year, I just can't see Acadia coming back in this series.
SMU played well last night in a game that was tied half way through the second period, but lost 6-3.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Bateman is not a big guy and is prone to "injury" when hit by bigger players. I'm not surprised.

As far are the player cap, who cares who voted for it or not? It's in the rules and all teams can be affected by it. This year it's SMU's turn.

Is there a chance that we could see Duffy back in the lineup if this series goes deep and especially if the Huskies match up against Acadia,for a possible 3'rd berth.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
At this point it probably doesn't make much sense for SMU to bring guys back this series if they are even somewhat questionable...might as well give them the few extra days and get as healthy as possible for the next series.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It's looking like an X vs UNB final and SMU vs Acadia playoff for the 3'rd AUS Nationals berth.
X has beaten the Axemen 6 times this year, I just can't see Acadia coming back in this series.
SMU played well last night in a game that was tied half way through the second period, but lost 6-3.

The series isn't over yet but it is going to be difficult for Acadia to come back against X in Antigonish. Goaltending let them down in game 2. Williams didn't play up to his potential this year. Regardless I think they will still go through to the Nationals over a shorthanded SMU.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Ryerson is swept by Windsor in a huge upset in the OUA West.

From a total outsider's view, I really think this series - and Ryerson's season - came down to coaching. Ryerson had tonnes of talent, but I'm not sure how structured they really were, and they didn't look particularly hard to play against. Their style just didn't seem conducive to playoff success, and they only really had one way to win - to score a pile of goals. If that didn't happen, they would be in trouble.

I'm not trying to pile on Johnny Duco, but I just wonder if the inexperience behind the bench at this level was a problem. One wonders that, if Graham Wise was still coaching this team, the outcome might have been different for them.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
McGill eliminated UQTR meaning that the OUA will have three new entries at the Nationals this year.

Once of those teams won't be Ryerson who were upset by Windsor. Watched the game and Ryerson just didn't play good enough. It wasn't like they were beaten but a hot goaltender either. They barely beat Waterloo in the first round too.
Windsor goes on the play York in the OUA West final.

Queen's vs Concordia tomorrow night to determine who will play McGill in the OUA East final.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
way to win - to score a pile of goals. If that didn't happen, they would be in trouble.

I'm not trying to pile on Johnny Duco, but I just wonder if the inexperience behind the bench at this level was a problem. One wonders that, if Graham Wise was still coaching this team, the outcome might have been different for them.

Is he on sabbatical? I read that Duco was the interim coach.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ryerson knocked out by Windsor (as I predicted elsewhere).

Inexperienced staff and a young team -- surprised Windsor was the one to do the Rams in, but not surprised they fell short of expectations. Don't think Wise makes the difference per se as the quality of coaching in the OUA has risen sharply in recent years.

McGill knocks out an out-of-steam UQTR in two straight. Queen's-Concordia will be a fun one tomorrow, but you have to like Concordia at home given how they totally stifled QUE in Kingston in Game 2.

Power move of the year from Windsor G Blake Richard, who called Ryerson "overrated" in a CTV interview after Game 1, then posted a 32-save performance in Ryerson's barn to eliminate them.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
The Bears sweep the Dinos with a 3-2 win tonight in another entertaining game. Legault got the winner with 1:14 left in the game off a nice effort by Baillie. First year players were the difference as Calgary did not have an answer for the Sanford, Cox and Philip line all game. Rehill and Fram were solid on the back end and Burke was strong in net (as was Greenfield for the Dinos).

The win qualifies the Bears for Nationals which will be a great learning experience for this team. I don't expect them to run the table, but with 11 first years in the line up, the experience will be huge for this team.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Ryerson is swept by Windsor in a huge upset in the OUA West.

From a total outsider's view, I really think this series - and Ryerson's season - came down to coaching. Ryerson had tonnes of talent, but I'm not sure how structured they really were, and they didn't look particularly hard to play against. Their style just didn't seem conducive to playoff success, and they only really had one way to win - to score a pile of goals. If that didn't happen, they would be in trouble.

Wise wasn't able to get Ryerson on the winning side come playoff time either.

Ryerson is a powerhouse in the making. That new facility will propel them at the National Championship before long. But as any team, they have to learn to win, and you could say that Windsor taking them out early is part of the learning curve.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Ryerson is a powerhouse in the making. That new facility will propel them at the National Championship before long. But as any team, they have to learn to win, and you could say that Windsor taking them out early is part of the learning curve.

I heard that they plan on bidding for the Nationals next time around. Toronto would be an excellent location.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So it will be a battle of the Canadian Ivy League in the OUA East final between Queens and McGill. Anyone know when the last time they met in the playoffs?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So it will be a battle of the Canadian Ivy League in the OUA East final between Queens and McGill. Anyone know when the last time they met in the playoffs?

Going back to 1996 . . . (20 years)

2015 - Rd2 - McGill won (2 game sweep)
2012 - Rd1 - McGill won (2 game sweep)
2008 - Rd2 - McGill won (2 game sweep)

The Last time Queen's was in the OUA-East final was 2000. They lost 3-1 in a single elimination game to UQTR who went on to win the Queen's Cup the next day 3-2 over Western. This was in the era when the four champions (Far-East, Mid-East, Mid-West and Far-West) would meet at a designated location for a 4 team single elimination tournament to determine the Queen's Cup Champion.

The 4-Team Championship weekend ended in 2005 when the conference was re-organized into two(2) divisions (East & West) and each division went to a best of 3 final for their champion followed by a single Queen's Cup game between the two champions.

The last time they (Queen's) won the Queen's Cup was in 1981, previous to that it was 1914 (thank you Wiki).

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Boy I wish they'd go back to the 4 divisions.

4 games against each team of your own division, 12 games against teams from other divisions.

You'd have such high rivalry game, it could only help drawing some crowds. And who says more crowds says more revenues to promote the game.

And come playoff time, first round against your own division, second round, most point against left points between the two closest divisions (Far West vs West, East vs Far East) in 2 out of 3 matchups so that the two best teams don't end up facing each other.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

Wise never had a team as talented as this one, either :)

In my opinion, Ryerson won't compete until they get a little more structured. To me, it looks like they have too many of the same type of player.

It will also be interesting to watch the possible turnover. In the past, Ryerson has lost some undergrads to pro deals or other endeavours. Their recruiting has obviously been top-notch for a number of years now, but they still have a ways to go to reach that McGill-UQTR-Western level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->