2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
He had a couple shaky moments, but he was certainly better than the last few games.

From my POV it looked like the Abraham goal went off the post and in. I was at the other end of the rink in the corner and couldn't tell for sure though. If so, tough to fault him too much on that one.

It sounded like post-and-in, but still a long shot with no traffic. One of those is enough to turn a one-goal win into an OT coin flip with X or Sasky!

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
What an ordeal for them. Queen's was probably never going to win this game, but it is unfortunate they were probably not able to be at their best. I totally get why they asked for some allowance in the schedule and I also understand why the organizers felt they could not accommodate (tickets already purchased, fairness to the other teams, etc.). It does raise the question as to what they would have done had Queen's not been there in time for last night's game. Forfeit? Or go to a 12:30pm, 4:30pm, 8:30pm schedule today?

What I can't understand is why Queen's didn't practice somewhere along the way. Undoubtedly, they had their equipment with them ... if they didn't, that reflects poorly on the staff.

This is Quebec, where every small town has a rink, Surely they could have found some ice time somewhere on a weekday.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
What I can't understand is why Queen's didn't practice somewhere along the way. Undoubtedly, they had their equipment with them ... if they didn't, that reflects poorly on the staff.

This is Quebec, where every small town has a rink, Surely they could have found some ice time somewhere on a weekday.

They didn't have their gear with them. From a CP story:

"The team bus pulled into a mall near the highway so the players — whose luggage and equipment had been sent to Fredericton a few days earlier — could pick up toothbrushes, personal effects and clean clothes."

I don't think I agree that it reflects poorly on the staff, though. It's a pretty normal occurrence to ship gear separately on long road trips like this, especially if you have a connecting flight.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

"The team bus pulled into a mall near the highway so the players — whose luggage and equipment had been sent to Fredericton a few days earlier — could pick up toothbrushes, personal effects and clean clothes."

I don't think I agree that it reflects poorly on the staff, though. It's a pretty normal occurrence to ship gear separately on long road trips like this, especially if you have a connecting flight.

I beg to differ. It probably just reflects their inexperience in this. When traveling in the winter in Canada, you've got to plan for the worst-case scenario, not the best-case scenario. Worst-case scenario is that you have to bus it ... and you're hooped if you get stuck somewhere without your gear.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I beg to differ. It probably just reflects their inexperience in this. When traveling in the winter in Canada, you've got to plan for the worst-case scenario, not the best-case scenario. Worst-case scenario is that you have to bus it ... and you're hooped if you get stuck somewhere without your gear.

Just as many bad things could have happened if the gear was with them on the originally-planned flight - luggage gets missed with the connection, gear gets lost, etc. I really think we're overthinking things here. S*** happens, and there's no way to cover every scenario.

Also, they're inexperienced at the UCup, but not in travel - Queen's, like every OUA team, plays a few full-weekend road trips every year.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I got full Respect for Queens. Not once did they use the travel as an excuse nor did I hear their coach or themselves say we were tired. Would love to see them back next year.

Full props to UNB for choosing to not rub the score in. The game was starting to get out of hand at 5-1. The 3rd was pretty zzzzzzz waiting for the buzzer but i wouldnt have liked to see 7-1, 9-1 in that situation either.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Saskatchewan 1, York 0 (OT)

Classic OT goal - throw one at the net and hope for the best.

Very entertaining game and congrats to the Huskies. This was like so many of York's games this year - low scoring, decided by one goal and in OT. If anything, they showed they belong here, which has not always been the case over the years for OUA teams.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Gotta feel for York they played well and shields was good. Had no idea that innocent shot went in until a 2 second delay of the sask players hands going in the air

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Goal was probably a little weak. Got to be heartbreaking after playing such a great game.

It reminded me of the weak OT goal Evan Vossen scored for McGill against Western's Josh Unice to win the 2012 championship - in that case, Vossen actually fanned on it and Unice over compensated, expecting the actual shot

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
York is very well-coached - they had great structure - but they really lack high-end skill.

That game was nowhere near the level of Alberta-Acadia. I thought Sask would have much more of an edge over York, but it was really anyone's game.

Whoever wins tonight's game, I expect a much higher tempo.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
It reminded me of the weak OT goal Evan Vossen scored for McGill against Western's Josh Unice to win the 2012 championship - in that case, Vossen actually fanned on it and Unice over compensated, expecting the actual shot

What makes you think he fanned on it? Nobes coached them to shoot low to create rebounds, a la Babcock's Red Wings.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

o

Correct, they didn't have their gear.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia will play either UNB or Queen's in Saturday's early semifinal. UNB and Queens are playing in Thursday's other quarter-final.
Saskatchewan and York, then St. FX vs McGill, will play in Friday's quarter-finals. The winners will meet in Saturday's second semifinal.

A nail biter for Dave and crew' but they punch their ticket to the semi's.
A bigger win, then any CanadWest banner!:popcorn::yo:

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
What makes you think he fanned on it? Nobes coached them to shoot low to create rebounds, a la Babcock's Red Wings.

I just looked it up and you're right....it was a low shot and just a plain old weak play by Unice. It's not how I remember it at all....I remember it as a windup and the shot being a knuckler...time plays tricks on you like that sometimes (it's at 5:27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OYOI8FJhE

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Interesting...
If McGill wins tonight

None of the 4 remaining teams had won their conference championchip

However 3 of the 4 remaining were the team with the best record in their conference. The only exception is Acadia who finished 2nd only UNB and had the 5th best Record in the country.

So this begs the question does the conference title even matter anymore? Yes every team would like to win it anyway for Pride but is the desperation and all out to win it actualy there anymore?

Such as in the OUA did any team really care going into Nationals really care if they won or loss the Queens Cup?

I forgget which years but i believe 2009 UNB chose to sit Hunter Tremblay vs SMU for game 3 saying they would rather assure he can play at Nationals. I think he had a ankle injury. And I believe a simular thing Happen with Tyler Carroll another year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to them going the basketball/soccer/volleyball/every other sport route and just ranking teams based on their actual strength and not whether they won a conference title or not.

As for UNB resting players....in 2009 Tremblay hardly played at all in that tournament (he was dressed for the final against Western, but not sure how much ice time he actually saw) so he was legit injured (a high ankle sprain IIRC)...it wasn't a case of a few bumps and bruises. I am sure if he was anywhere close to healthy for that SMU series he would've played.

I am pretty sure Luke Gallant missed some, if not all, of the 2011 final against St. FX to be ready for Nationals. It obviously worked as he ended up being the UCup MVP that year.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Interesting...
If McGill wins tonight

None of the 4 remaining teams had won their conference championchip

However 3 of the 4 remaining were the team with the best record in their conference. The only exception is Acadia who finished 2nd only UNB and had the 5th best Record in the country.

So this begs the question does the conference title even matter anymore? Yes every team would like to win it anyway for Pride but is the desperation and all out to win it actualy there anymore?

Such as in the OUA did any team really care going into Nationals really care if they won or loss the Queens Cup?

I forgget which years but i believe 2009 UNB chose to sit Hunter Tremblay vs SMU for game 3 saying they would rather assure he can play at Nationals. I think he had a ankle injury. And I believe a simular thing Happen with Tyler Carroll another year.

Winning a league title does not guarantee an easier path to the Championship - there's a lot of luck involved.

Look at McGill. Losing to Queen's means they face St FX first rather than UNB on home ice, and it also means they avoid what seems like the harder bracket (UNB, Alberta, Acadia).

So, to the extent that winning does not guarantee a better bracket, you're correct that they're not going to lose sleep over it, so long as they get to the U Cup.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to them going the basketball/soccer/volleyball/every other sport route and just ranking teams based on their actual strength and not whether they won a conference title or not.

As for UNB resting players....in 2009 Tremblay hardly played at all in that tournament (he was dressed for the final against Western, but not sure how much ice time he actually saw) so he was legit injured (a high ankle sprain IIRC)...it wasn't a case of a few bumps and bruises. I am sure if he was anywhere close to healthy for that SMU series he would've played.

I am pretty sure Luke Gallant missed some, if not all, of the 2011 final against St. FX to be ready for Nationals. It obviously worked as he ended up being the UCup MVP that year.

Your right it was Luke Gallant (not Carroll).

And you are correct Tremblay did not play much at the University Cup but thats kinda the point. It wasnt a single elimanation tourney than. So if UNB say lost that first game that Tremblay didnt play vs Alberta. Im pretty sure he would have played game 2 vs Lakehead facing elimination. They won both and he played the last game for all the marbles vs Western. While he didnt play number one line minutes he was playing no different than the 3rd or 4th liners.

So I really think if it was do or die vs SMU in game 3 at the AUS he would have played despite the injury.

I can tell you right off hand Alberta won the university Cup in 2005 2006 2008 2014 2015 but I couldnt tell you off hand without looking it up how many and which years they won their conference those seasons.

I do like the basketball style rankings for the tourney better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad