2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Can someone answer me this, I had a person tell me this and just checked my PVR, did Sportsnet really cut to a different program with ~9:00 to go in the third? My recording ends with around 9:00 to go, but it could have been just because it was a live event and ran over the scheduled time, but I had a friend tell me that they were watching and it just ended.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Can someone answer me this, I had a person tell me this and just checked my PVR, did Sportsnet really cut to a different program with ~9:00 to go in the third? My recording ends with around 9:00 to go, but it could have been just because it was a live event and ran over the scheduled time, but I had a friend tell me that they were watching and it just ended.

I'm in Ontario and it was on until the end (Sportsnet 360, which I believe is a national feed).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Anyone else think that they butchered the awards ceremony? They presented the banner and University Cup before giving out the player of the game awards or the medals. This meant Saskatchewan had to stand there awkwardly while all the players took turns skating around with the Cup. They should have given the Huskies their medals so they could get off the ice.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Totally agree on that, felt bad for the Sask kids having to stand there while the cup was handed back and forth. Could have handed out the medals and then the cup afterwards.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Totally agree on that, felt bad for the Sask kids having to stand there while the cup was handed back and forth. Could have handed out the medals and then the cup afterwards.

You could tell everyone was kind of confused. They even tried to leave at one point before having to come back on the ice. Then they gave out the player of the game awards after they had left the ice for good so Gay wasn't even out there to get his award. The whole thing seemed like it was done backwards.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
This was due to sportnet ask for the banner plus cup presentatio right away so they can show it and than cut from the program before both teams get their medal

Its unfortunate for the 2nd place team but sportnet has no interest in waiting around

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Congrats to UNB for the victory. They were better than UofS today. The 27-10-16 line was a force today.

Look out for the prairie Dogs. They return most of the team and will be a step closer to the big prize.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Fitting that the top two ranked teams during the regular season played in the final. Fantastic hockey game. I think everyone would agree that it was more entertaining that last year's final.

First time UNB has won back to back national titles. Saskatchewan will be back another day.

Sportsnet has a highlight of Braes goals.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/usports/new-brunswick-tops-saskatchewan-gold-mens-u-sports-hockey/

Anyone know if the game will be archived? Forgot to record it.

Last edited:

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Saskatchewan Huskies do not lose anybody

Congrats to UNB for the victory. They were better than UofS today. The 27-10-16 line was a force today.

Look out for the prairie Dogs. They return most of the team and will be a step closer to the big prize.

The entire U of S Huskies team is eligible to come back. Plus, there are three red-shirts (G Taran Kozun, D Mackenzie Johnston and F Alex Forsberg) ready to join the active roster.

As well, there are 3-4 forwards and 1 D that the Huskies likely have on their recruiting radar.

So, the Huskies should be even stronger next season.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Red Army wi University Cup

A great championship game! Sold out and then some.
First period was back and forth, fast and physical, with both teams trading chances.
Both UNB goals scored off high pressure scrambles. Can't fault either goals on Jordan Cooke.
Sask put the puck on net from any possible angle and score off a misplay by Marcoux.
The second period saw UNB establish control, with several extended minutes in Saskatchewans zone.
Cooke kept the Huskies in the game, with several crucial saves. UNB bottled up the neutral zone throughout the period, over and over, smothering the Huskies offence.
Saskatchewan didn't quit, down 4-1, cut the lead to a goal on a couple of pp goals.
Braes fourth goal of the game, putting V-Reds up 5-3 in the third was the nail in the coffin.
AUC was packed, indeed a hostile environment for the Huskies today.
Saskatchewan was a class act, fast and skilled, played with passion, left it all on the line, just beat by a team that was better today.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The entire U of S Huskies team is eligible to come back. Plus, there are three red-shirts (G Taran Kozun, D Mackenzie Johnston and F Alex Forsberg) ready to join the active roster.

As well, there are 3-4 forwards and 1 D that the Huskies likely have on their recruiting radar.

So, the Huskies should be even stronger next season.

I believe UNB is in a similar situation. As far as I can recall, Braes, Mignardi, and Critchlow were the only 5th years on the roster; so they could potentially still have 18 players off the 2016 championship team back in the fall.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I believe UNB is in a similar situation. As far as I can recall, Braes, Mignardi, and Critchlow were the only 5th years on the roster; so they could potentially still have 18 players off the 2016 championship team back in the fall.

I think you will see more go. Maillet,Clapperton, may turn pro? Beuvillier,Murry??
It could also be a complete rebuild.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Maillet and Murray would be the two that I would predict getting offers to go play outside of the CIS. Hard to predict what will happen in the offseason, but I suspect that Gardner will have no issues finding players wanting to come to UNB.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Maillet and Murray would be the two that I would predict getting offers to go play outside of the CIS. Hard to predict what will happen in the offseason, but I suspect that Gardner will have no issues finding players wanting to come to UNB.

They'll lose a lot of production, no doubt. But I'm willing to give MacDougall the benefit of the doubt, he seems to have a bit of an idea what he is doing haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad