Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Oh I have no delusions of grandeur that Murray will return a first for Franson, even with the draft being poor. I'd be very happy with a 2nd. Maybe if anything Murray can get a conditional first, if said team makes the conference finals. But like I said a straight second will be sufficient.

And chain do you know what the rumored Blues offer was? I'm trying to think of summer 2001 of what could possibly have been involved for Hasek.

If memory serves me correct Pavol Demitra was part of the deal. Left a very bitter taste in my mouth that Hasek held us ransom like that.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Buffalo has two 2nds and two 3rds. The extra 2nd and 3rd are from Minnesota and Washington respectively, so they will be low. Another 2nd would not hurt. It may not do much to help anytime soon (if not flipped), but it's not likely a 1st from a playoff team would either, so it's not a great argument.

The 2nd we'd get for Kulikov would likely be low, too.
But I don't really want to trade him for a late 1st either. If I had to get rid of him, I'd try to target a good D prospect (even add a 2nd if we had to) that could hopefully compete for that top 4 LD slot in training camp next year, but I dint know how realistic that is. If that's not an option, then I'm not settling for less than a 1st. It's a better trade asset and it gives us a better shot at an NHL caliber prospect in a not so deep draft.
Otherwise I'd just keep him and do my best to sign him.

He was a top 15 pick and he is still very young. I don't think we've seen what he truly brings to the table. You can tell he's still hurt. Normally Kulikov is a physical, hard hitting and a much better overall defenseman than what he's shown here.

I think we have a shot at signing him to a short term deal around what he's making now. If he's interested in staying, I'd keep him and try to get him signed. Worst case, Murray can try to trade his rights for a 3rd later this offseason (not that he for sure will be able to, but who knows).
Unless Kulikov has said he has no interest in signing here or wants ridiculous money + term, then that changes things.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Once upon a time Cody Franson was traded at deadline time for a 1st in the elite 2015 draft. Would be amazing if Murray pulled another 1st for him but I'd expect a 2nd or a 3rd+prospect.

The 1st round pick that was traded for Franson turned out to be Travis Konecny....I know Philly ended up with that pick but deadline time can turn GMs temporarily insane...a prospect the caliber of Konecny for 15-20 Reg season games and playoffs?

That was in the off season, and Hasek actually dictated who could be dealt off the Wings roster. You know this. But still Darcy should have held out for multiple 1st round picks or imagine if he had the foresight to ask for a young player at the time named Henrik Zetterberg.

We could have had Konecny we got Lehner instead.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I accidentally clicked on Detroit forums. Started reading "no interest in Vanek" thread. Such lols. They actually think they're getting a 1st rounder for him.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I don't see them moving a cost-controlled defenseman. They need to move a big money guy like Fowler or Vatanen.
Agreed. They just put their best 4th liner on waivers. No doubt a move is coming.
Vatanen makes the most sense given the 4 mil aav. But, if they can hold fast until pre-expansion draft, they could just buy out Bieksa and protect Lindholm, Fowler and 1 of Manson/Vatanen. All the rest of their guys (Montour/ Theodore/Larsson) are protected on ELC's.

But they badly need a scoring LW'er, an additional winger on the bottom 6 that can pot a couple and a depth player winger at or dam near at NHL ready for any hope in the playoffs.

Their window is on the downside now with Getzlaf, Perry going to be 32 this year and Keeler 33. I am starting to wonder what Bryan Murray's waiting for.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Lehner is good which just means we'll just get worse draft picks while we're not making the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Gotta say people who manage to turn successes into failures never cease to entertain me.

Oh...it turns out Lehner is good. Just our luck.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Further from the playoffs closer to the goal of the Cup. Cal Perterson will be better than Lehner and the sabres future goalie and Konecny would be here. Sometimes thinking before you posts helps.

Who's agreeing with you? :confused:

They would have 100% drafted Samsonov with that pick. Murray basically said so. And like everyone else has said we'd be further away.

But let's keep talking about that trade two years later that can never be undone. :deadhorse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad