Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion (Buy/Sell, Rumors, Trades, Scouts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Agreed. Run larsson at 4c if you must...he'll they should've wizened up when he was healthy and did that anyways instead of us now going a full year with Grant and Cal on our roster. 4c is the second biggest hole on this team outside of a top 2 dman

A 4th line of larsson and two speedy checkers is exactly what I want when this team is making its. If Baptise turns out as I think he will he could certainly be one of them.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
A 4th line of larsson and two speedy checkers is exactly what I want when this team is making its. If Baptise turns out as I think he will he could certainly be one of them.

While I agree that's what I want short term if baptiste turns into a 4th line winger long term we have bigger issues lol.

That being said emphasis needs to be on a 4c larsson or not because this team is flush with wingers both young and old that can play up and down the lineup the gaping hole is a legit 4c ala gaustad.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Yea, I'm selling expiring contracts (Kulikov, Franson) and probably a Gorges and buying on young blue-line talent (probably through a hockey trade of some kind around a Larsson, Kane or Girgensons).

I had prior advocated for dealing Gionta to a contender, but (in light of recent events) I'd like to amend that slightly. I think you first ask if he's interested in returning next season. If so, offer him an extension. If not, ask if he'd prefer to play out this year here and make a stretch for the playoffs, or be traded to a contender. I'd deal him, but only if it's what he wants or if he's not sure what he wants to do after this season and would waive.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yea, I'm selling expiring contracts (Kulikov, Franson) and probably a Gorges and buying on young blue-line talent (probably through a hockey trade of some kind around a Larsson, Kane or Girgensons).

I had prior advocated for dealing Gionta to a contender, but (in light of recent events) I'd like to amend that slightly. I think you first ask if he's interested in returning next season. If so, offer him an extension. If not, ask if he'd prefer to play out this year here and make a stretch for the playoffs, or be traded to a contender. I'd deal him, but only if it's what he wants or if he's not sure what he wants to do after this season and would waive.

I think that's exactly what you do with gionta. Sit down man to man and say listen we have 4 wingers potentially coming up from rochester and your role is likely to decrease to 4th line and some special teams...we value what you bring to the table heres an extension proposal. It's a paycut but we do want you here. If you're not on the same page and/or really want to chase another cup we will do our best to trade you to a contender that gives us okay value. If he resigns at the deadline for less money moving forward I think that sends a tremendous message to the locker room. If he gets dealt I hardly doubt he bad mouths the organization and still sends a good message to the room.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
An important, and as yet unmentioned, factor is the expansion draft. It is in the Sabres best interest, regardless of their closeness to a wild card spot, to avoid adding any players who need to be protected. Indeed, the best long-term strategy would be, if possible, to exchange players who don't figure in their long-term plans for draft picks or players—even depth players—who now are exempt from the need to be protected, and who may have some future upside. The Sabres are not, at this point, a deep-playoff-run team. A one-and-out playoff run (courtesy of adding a rental) is not worth any move that impacts the longer term. Or so I believe.
I agree, and well put.

Obviously a couple of players will be on the block for deadline. Namely Gorges and Kane (as was rumored early in the season he was available).

Kulikov? Not sure, a lot of variables in any decision to re-sign him, my guess is money and term.

Gionta? No idea. If he wants to i guess? But I don't see him getting re-signed. Would love if he retired and goes to coach in Elmira or Rochester.

Franson? Could see him re-signing.
While I understand your sentiment re: coaching, I doubt he's motivated to do so. If I had enough money to live on, and my kids were young, I doubt I'd continue a lifestyle which has me away from them half the time for 6 months or more each year. I'd take a break from that for a few years if possible until they were older.

Moreover, I doubt he retires if he still wants to play. He's still a above-average-quality NHL player when used properly. He will be in demand.

Lastly, I see him re-signing with BUF.

Guys I want traded that won't be:

Gorges: He's bad, and probably has value around the league. Just like Montreal realized...

Lehner/Nilsson: I'd prefer Lehner since he's played well and they can 'undo' the stupid trade, but trading either will do. Nilsson is highly unlikely to continue his pace this year. If they can get a 3rd or so for him, heck yeah.

Gionta: If he's really "Mr. Team Leader", then he can accept a team-friendly short extension. If not, get whatever you can for him.
Curious why you feel that way. The Sabres play a style which attempts to limit shots from high-shooting-percentage areas. I see no reason to expect they change that as long as Bylsma's here, and, no reason to believe Nilsson won't do well in such a system.

I'd be happy with just a puck.

I'd go for a 3/4 used roll of clear shin tape
I'd take a street hockey ball. Even the really hard red one you only use when the softer day-glo orange ones all need to be chased down or are lost.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Sabres are sellers without anything good to sell. Only attractive asset is Kulikov, who they should absolutely be trying to re-sign. Worth way more than a pick.

I expect a quiet deadline.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sabres are sellers without anything good to sell. Only attractive asset is Kulikov, who they should absolutely be trying to re-sign. Worth way more than a pick.

I expect it to be quiet for us as well. If they do make a trade it should be a "hockey" trade. What I mean by that is it should be for now and going forward. Not simply a rental. But I don't expect many of those types of trades being available due to the cap.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You don't think Gionta is an attractive asset? A veteran, showing he can still produce ES offense in a defensive role? Added PK utility, leadership, playoff experience?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Murray should be working both angles on guys like Kulikov and Gionta, meaning, what could they fetch v. their role with the sabres in 2017/18.

It also may be important to the development of this team not to disrupt the chemistry to see what damage they can do here to close out the regular season, even if that means no playoffs. That's if they are on a roll.

Of course, if they rip off 4 or 5 losses in a row, then disrupt away.

It's just hard to say at this point.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we do trade Georges, which I am principally completely for, will we have an expansion draft issue? Is there anyone else we would want to expose that meets the games played requirement on defense? Would we have to take back a contract with at least a year left to make it work?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You don't think Gionta is an attractive asset? A veteran, showing he can still produce ES offense in a defensive role? Added PK utility, leadership, playoff experience?

You're right. Will be interesting, I'd imagine he'd be attractive to re-sign, too.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You're right. Will be interesting, I'd imagine he'd be attractive to re-sign, too.

Agreed, he should be considered, but we can't re-sign him before expansion draft (that would be stupid).

Gionta is not only the most valuable trade asset (Kulikov's back problems are going to limit his value), but he's also the toughest decision to make (sell or not). If we're "in the picture at the end of Feb... what do we do?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Young blue-line talent is not for sale.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Agreed, he should be considered, but we can't re-sign him before expansion draft (that would be stupid).

Gionta is not only the most valuable trade asset (Kulikov's back problems are going to limit his value), but he's also the toughest decision to make (sell or not). If we're "in the picture at the end of Feb... what do we do?

I'd like to see Kulikov signed after the season/after expansion draft. That doesn't preclude trading him. But it could complicate re-signing him. As could waiting to sign him as I suggested.

It's a tough call what to do

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I would rather keep him, with the understanding he will sign in the summer to stay local. A second rounder is nice, but if they have a chance to take a good run for a playoff spot or god forbid an actual series that experience is too valuable to risk. I think a tight race or series could do wonders to teach eichel the next level of pace he needs to rise to.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would rather keep him, with the understanding he will sign in the summer to stay local. A second rounder is nice, but if they have a chance to take a good run for a playoff spot or god forbid an actual series that experience is too valuable to risk. I think a tight race or series could do wonders to teach eichel the next level of pace he needs to rise to.

Ok... I'll be the crazy person.

Is there a contender that is willing to part with a 1st for Gionta? Someone who needs a pure RW, scoring depth, checking line ability, PK ability?

We've seen before where a player checks enough boxes, for enough teams, to get that value up (Gaustad, Sekera).

Yes, it's unlikely... but if that offer comes in, and you were previously leaning to keep Gionta, and make a push... does a 1st vs 2nd change your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad