Speculation: 2017 Trade Deadline Discussion (Buy/Sell, Rumors, Trades, Scouts, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Tampa Bay is really ****ing the East up for everyone else. Are they going to wake up and fire off a 10-0 winning streak? Are they going to stay terrible? If they decide to start winning there's one less playoff spot to battle for. If they continue to play the way they are there are two possibly three available spots.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Guys I want traded that won't be:

Gorges: He's bad, and probably has value around the league. Just like Montreal realized...

Lehner/Nilsson: I'd prefer Lehner since he's played well and they can 'undo' the stupid trade, but trading either will do. Nilsson is highly unlikely to continue his pace this year. If they can get a 3rd or so for him, heck yeah.

Gionta: If he's really "Mr. Team Leader", then he can accept a team-friendly short extension. If not, get whatever you can for him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Logically it's best, imo as a stone cold critic, to trade Franson, Kulikov, and Gionta if he wants. I don't see Gionta or the team wanting that though. They will value the chance to get playoff experience and send the message of trying to win to the young guys. I can see that. So while I doubt TM sells off those vets, I more highly doubt he will buy any players for a short run. So I don't expect much action on the TDL for us.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If we are in a playoff spot with a couple points lead or games in hand then I would be ok with buying for need although I doubt there is anything out there we could get that is worthwhile for what we would pay. So Kulikov, Franson, Ennis, DesLaurier, Larsson, Gionta, Jorges, Fedun and Falk are all available at the right price. Realistically 2 Fs and 2 Ds for picks would be a job well done. A second plus for Kulikov, a third for Larsson, Gionta, Jorges, whatever for the rest. I keep Kane unless there is hockey trade to be made.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
If they stay in the race by the time the trade deadline comes around, selling sends the wrong message to the players IMO. It tells the team that management has given up on them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If they are in the hunt....I don't see them making any significant trade for a rental. They could do a deal like they trade Franson to team X then acquire a Dman from team Y.

This is not the season tfor them to sell off stuff since even if they make the playoffs they aren't in contention for a cup.

If they fade are are farther back then he moves Gionta and Franson and listends for offers on Kane where Bufflao retians the max amount making him free for the acquired team the rest of the season

I don't see taker for Ennis and Moulson. better shot in offseason with expansion draft and offering 50% retention.

If they're sniffing a playoff spot, I don't think there's any way Murray sells. He's not taking the wind out of a young team's sails by selling off Kulikov, Gionta, Franson, et al. He's adding to that team. If they're pretty out of it, he'll sell - but if he's close, Murray's pushing for a playoff spot this season.

being a bubble playoff team he will still ask Gionta if he wants to be moved to a serious cup contender. Even if Buffalo makes the playoffs they aren't winning the cup.

Franson could be traded--it depends on injuries and trade offer

Kulikov--not likely moved. I see TM holding on to him and try to sign him post expansion draft

agreed, selling off Gionta or someone when your are with 2 points would be poor messaging to a young team.

Not if its to a Stanley cup contender. I don't know if Gionta feels this will be his last year or if Buffalo have talked to him about coming back next year on a lower contract ($2.5M)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tampa Bay is really ****ing the East up for everyone else. Are they going to wake up and fire off a 10-0 winning streak? Are they going to stay terrible? If they decide to start winning there's one less playoff spot to battle for. If they continue to play the way they are there are two possibly three available spots.

As it stands now I see 2 playoff spots in play---3rd in division and 2nd WC. I think Toronto fades while Ottawa is still there. I don't see PIT/CBS/WAS/NYR fading and thus bringing another WC spot into it.

A hot streak by TB could give them fals optimism thinking they are playoff bound then fade later.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Like others said, we have to wait some weeks to see where we are.
Then it always depends on the price, offers should be good if it is a sellers market, but no reason to sell for cheap early.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I'll tell you what I want. I want my cake and to eat it too.

I want to dump ANY of Georges, Gionta, Franson, DesLaurier, Larsson. I know, those listed don't have much value. I would include kane and Kuli in more of a hockey trade. And THEN I also want to make the playoffs. There is a chance it could happen. Give more minutes to the youngins and watch them go on a tear.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If he's traded or not I see Gionta back next year either way, on a good deal. I'm not sure I understand the dislike for him. He's top 5 on the team in goals, assists, and points, he doesn't miss games, he plays where needed, and he gives an honest effort.

I could see him getting even a second at the deadline with a handshake agreement to come back for a good deal next year. It would be a win-win. Unless we're really playing well at the TDL.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could we crowdfund a bag of pucks to get rid of Bylsma? Send himmto Boston.
Stretch goal: we send a goalie stick with him as well.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why do you want to trade Kane? The rebuild is over, no need to trade core pieces like that.

I'd trade Kane in the ofseason gor a Dman like Fowler or brodin.

The issue is the salary cap. If Ennis and Moulson are still on the team for 18/19 season then buffalo will be very close to the cap after signing Eichel, Reinhart, other kid RFAS to bridges and 1-2 vet dmen AND Well As lehner.

If they can move Ennis and moulson are off 18/19 then they could resign Kane.

Ideally you want 4/7 of cap on forwards snd rest on D/G.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Sit still unless something hits you over the head. Vegas will be the big cat to get scratched this summer with the draft rules being D friendly. They'll be looking for forwards with an abundance of NHLish D men.

E: 4th line boost would be cheap and beneficial

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Also posted this in roster speculation, but...

If he keeps this up (7points in 11 games since Larsson's injury), does Girgensons stay over Larsson? I feel like these two are battling constantly for that 3rd line center spot.

Although if we eventually want an Eichel-O'Reilly-Reinhart spine, Larsson would seem to make more sense as a 4th line center.

Or is Girgensons recent success (points), partially due to being on a line with a white hot Evander Kane?

I really do believe this is the off-season where one of Larsson/Girgensons is dealt.

Maybe could even see Larsson dealt to a team that's not looking to do much (Arizona), kind of how we received an injured Kane as part of the Winnipeg trade (I realize no one is really tanking like the past two years)? Just throwing out random thoughts.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

If he keeps this up (7points in 11 games since Larsson's injury), does Girgensons stay over Larsson? I feel like these two are battling constantly for that 3rd line center spot.

Although if we eventually want an Eichel-O'Reilly-Reinhart spine, Larsson would seem to make more sense as a 4th line center.

Or is Girgensons recent success (points), partially due to being on a line with a white hot Evander Kane?

I really do believe this is the off-season where one of Larsson/Girgensons is dealt.

Maybe could even see Larsson dealt to a team that's not looking to do much (Arizona), kind of how we received an injured Kane as part of the Winnipeg trade (I realize no one is really tanking like the past two years)? Just throwing out random thoughts.

Girgensons should stay over Larsson no matter what.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

They should both stay because theyre both good hockey players

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
They should both stay because theyre both good hockey players

Agreed. Run larsson at 4c if you must...he'll they should've wizened up when he was healthy and did that anyways instead of us now going a full year with Grant and Cal on our roster. 4c is the second biggest hole on this team outside of a top 2 dman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad