Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd be much happier, that's for sure

I would have been too.

I would have been ok with sacrificing the regular season game on february 28th sitting comfortably in a playoff spot to make a statement.

And yes there is definitely a risk for Kane. But does he cost as much as Hanzal or Shatty?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
So if Wilson kills Stepan, Kreider killing Backstrom somehow evens it up? Puts the world back in balance?

No I agree with you. We should be the only team to lose players to cheapshots. After the game we can go in to our safe spots and discuss the injustices of the game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Wilson, Beagle, those guys will hammer and destroy you and then they got the talent in Kuz, Ovi, Backy. Balance. This isn't the 96 Wings IDC what AV thinks. That team had HOF talent. This team has one HOF, Henrik. The Caps and Pens go into the corners like lunatics when they aren't playing the high flying game. Once teams start hammering this team it gets FUGLY

the softest cup winner in years were just going to town physically on teams last year :laugh:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I agree, I think they overpaid for Smith if they weren't trying to make some sort of run though.

sounds to me like they plan to re sign him even though hes, imo, just another 5-6 type guy and really a step below skjei and even holden at this point.

but adding depth to this defense is fine with me

there really isnt anything nhl ready in hartford and potentially adding smith is one step closer to not having kk and one of girardi and staal.

im good with that

still think this team is one and done in the playoffs with this roster and that includes rick nash.

rather sell off and try real hard to compete this year but recoup and plan for a future with smith and shattenkirk on this defense next season.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No I agree with you. We should be the only team to lose players to cheapshots. After the game we can go in to our safe spots and discuss the injustices of the game.

You didn't answer my question, to no surprise. Because you know the answer. It's to make fans feel better and nothing more.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Great, so how does your happiness contribute to winning the game?

(I'd be p. happy too FWIW)

I mean if you believe in the power of positive thinking, quite a lot.

This discussion has gone off the rails (at least for what I'm talking about). I was hopeful the team would be able to find a couple of bigger bodied forwards who can make life a bit more uncomfortable for the other team. I've mentioned Roussel, Ferland, Clifford, Khaira and others. I'm not looking for an Ott or Reaves.

I think Smith is a nice addition. He plays with a bit of an edge. I wish Kreider played that way with more consistency. Even Shattenkirk plays with an bit of an edge if the Rangers can add him in the off-season.

I don't think it's a horrible idea to try and balance the team out a bit with some physicality WHO CAN ALSO PLAY THE GAME

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
When your leadership core, the "letter wearers," consists of McD, Girardi and especially those towers of evil, Staal and Stepan, no 1 or 2 new players are going to make a difference. Especially if they are 3rd or 4th liners getting 10-13 minutes a night.

Caps aren't tough because Wilson runs around on the 4th line. Caps are tough because Ovi plays that kind of game and they have guys who hit to hurt and like messing with other team's players on almost every line. A guy like Wilson simply fits in and follows that team's leaders.

Same with Pens. Crosby drops the gloves when he thinks a teammate might've been wronged. Malkin is meaner, granted, usually in a really cheap way, than anybody on NYR. Towes is like Crosby. He doesn't think twice about jumping in for a teammate. Keith is meaner than the entire NYR team put together. Simmonds, Voracek in Philly.

It's all about the leaders and best players who log heavy ice-time. Dressing a 4th liner like Glass or even someone much better who still doesn't see the ice when most of this stuff happens is really ineffective. Especially with the instigator rule and the way today's game is officiated.

Even when we trade for a guy like Nash, someone with size and actual fighting ability, NYR end up with a guy disinterested in physical contact the vast majority of time unless confronted and repeatedly provoked. There's something about this franchise.

Our chosen leaders? McD, Girardi would have to be forced into it. Simple hitting and consistent physical play doesn't come natural to them. And Staal and Stepan? That's like a signal for the end of the world if Stepan is involved in a real altercation.

All truth right there. That's why I would sell. This is the typical Rangers team built for the regular season but worthless in the playoffs! You book that! Gorton's hands are still tied.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
All truth right there. That's why I would sell. This is the typical Rangers team built for the regular season but worthless in the playoffs! You book that! Gorton's hands are still tied.

"typical Rangers team that's worthless in the playoffs"

"more playoff series wins in the last 4 years than any team in the league"

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sounds like Neuvirth is close to getting an extension with Flyers. Mason might be on the move?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
With the value teams are getting right now and how bad they looked last night I actually do hope they offload a few guys.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
Evander Kane would cost us a 1st but if he can keep his troubles off the ice to a minimum he would be exactly what we need. Size and skill and would make the Rangers much tougher to play against. 1st and Nieves for Kane please!

Kreider Stepan Nash
Kane Zibanejad Zuccarello
Vesey Hayes Miller
Grabner Lindberg Fast
Extras Buchnevich Pirri Puempel

McDonagh Smith
Staal Holden
Skjei Klein
Extras Girardi and Clendening

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I may be in the minority, but I'd take Evander Kane.

physical freak. mental midget

kane-header.jpg

pass

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You didn't answer my question, to no surprise. Because you know the answer. It's to make fans feel better and nothing more.
I feel like Im speaking to a unrealistic passifist who has never played the game. If a guy like Avery or Prust lets them know that if your goon goes after our finesse players than we will do the same thing it often (not always) stops pretty fast. Simonds hurt McD. Simmonds didnt want to fight McIlrath but Mcilrath told him if you dont Im going after your other guys. That made Simmonds go with Mcilrath. By the way you are the angriest passificist I have ever seen in our game threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad