WJC: 2017 Sweden Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nice for Jonathen Dahlen to get a little of the spotlight.

He is playing behind

Gundstrom
Eriksson Ek
Nylander
Pettersson
Andersson

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
Which proves Montén knows what he's doing, easing Dahlin into the tournament.

Lots of people got their wish, getting to see Dahlin in the top 6 for a game. I don't think he did anything to show he should remain there. Judging from the round robin, and having seen the US dismantle Canada in part because of some less than stellar play by Canadian defencemen, I think this team will go as far as the defence allows it to go. They've consistently turned the puck over when put under pressure, and I'm sure Slovakia will have done their homework and make sure to hound Swedish D at every opportunity.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
ATOI for the Dmen so far:

Kylington: 19:51
Larsson: 19:03
Bernhardt: 19:00
G. Carlsson: 18:49
L. Carlsson: 18:34
Gunnarsson: 15:35
Dahlin: 11:00

Larsson really does need to step up his game if Sweden want to go the whole way.

With him playing at the level he is right now the D will struggle against Canada in the Semi... assuming they beat the Slovaks ofc.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I had high expectations on our forwards and they have been great. Goaltending has also been good.

I don't feel very comfortable with our D though. The guys who were supposed to be our best D have been the biggest disappointments. Jacob Larsson is really bad with the puck when he gets under pressure, especially around the boards. Kylington just makes too many high risk - low reward plays, costly mistakes are bound to happen against the better teams. These two have played around 20 minutes/game, offensively they have combined for 2 secondary assists while not playing stellar defense.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
I had high expectations on our forwards and they have been great. Goaltending has also been good.

I don't feel very comfortable with our D though. The guys who were supposed to be our best D have been the biggest disappointments. Jacob Larsson is really bad with the puck when he gets under pressure, especially around the boards. Kylington just makes too many high risk - low reward plays, costly mistakes are bound to happen against the better teams. These two have played around 20 minutes/game, offensively they have combined for 2 secondary assists while not playing stellar defense.

Larsson has also played mostly with Gunnarsson and Dahlin. To be fair, Gunnarsson is probably the one defenceman who has managed to live up to expecations the most, but he's never going to be a transitional magician. If Kylington is going to keep playing 20 minutes every game G. Carlsson is probably the ideal partner for him, but maybe try L. Carlsson with Larsson instead?

djf

Jun 9, 2012
Any opinions on what rasmus asplund could be at the NHl level?

2nd or 3rd line C if he pans out. Needs to show he can deliver offensively at a higher level. Allready a smart, responsible 200ft two way player in the mold of Zetterberg. Looks like he will need a few years more development imho

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
2nd or 3rd line C if he pans out. Needs to show he can deliver offensively at a higher level. Allready a smart, responsible 200ft two way player in the mold of Zetterberg. Looks like he will need a few years more development imho

i would say asplund is like patrice bergeron is terms of playing-style. but a worse version. i see asplund as a good future 3C who gets 40 points and he is gritty.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Kristoffer Gunnarsson has really impressed me so far. Physical as hell, strong as the hulk and calm with the puck. He should be regular with Frölunda.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
so Asplund projects to be another Johann Larsson? the Sabres already have Larsson, was hoping Asplund had a higher NHL ceiling.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
so Asplund projects to be another Johann Larsson? the Sabres already have Larsson, was hoping Asplund had a higher NHL ceiling.

I'd say Larsson, in his last season in SHL, was ahead of where Asplund is now in terms of offence. He was also almost 5 months older than Asplund is this season. Asplund might have slightly higher upside because he's a faster skater, though less strong, particularly along the boards.

DaveyBumbles

Dec 31, 2016
I'd say Larsson, in his last season in SHL, was ahead of where Asplund is now in terms of offence. He was also almost 5 months older than Asplund is this season. Asplund might have slightly higher upside because he's a faster skater, though less strong, particularly along the boards.

Larsson is finding his game in the NHL. Great option to have centering a 3rd line.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How has Elias Pettersson looked so far?

He actually played great today can't believe how snakebitten he was drew three penalties from great puckcontrol two of which was borderline penalty shot worthy. Too static on the pp though and a bit week but you can see the talent

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How has Elias Pettersson looked so far?

Very snake bitten. His hockey sense is on display every shift and he shows some crazy skill from time to time. Tries to hold on to the puck for too long at times and is easily (understatement) pushed off the puck due to his lanky frame. He'd be a very, very dominant player if he wasn't so freaking thin.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You can't really point towards any real underachievers on the team thru five games. It all comes down to the next two. Eventually a guy like Pettersson will get awarded, just have to hope it's when it matters the most.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
He actually played great today can't believe how snakebitten he was drew three penalties from great puckcontrol two of which was borderline penalty shot worthy. Too static on the pp though and a bit week but you can see the talent

Very snake bitten. His hockey sense is on display every shift and he shows some crazy skill from time to time. Tries to hold on to the puck for too long at times and is easily (understatement) pushed off the puck due to his lanky frame. He'd be a very, very dominant player if he wasn't so freaking thin.

Thanks for the responses! He seems to be a very intriguing option for the draft in the top 10. Best of luck to Sweden the rest of the tournament.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think this team got a good shot at gold, if they just can play the NA teams as any other team. Dont get to eager or to passive. Easier said than done, I know.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
I think this team got a good shot at gold, if they just can play the NA teams as any other team. Dont get to eager or to passive. Easier said than done, I know.

Definitely has a shot. They've been (mostly) impressive so far, though it has to be said they've not faced particularly tough opposition. Three of the top four teams in the tournament were in the other group.

The game against Canada will be the real test, and especially for the Skellefteåline, as well as Gunnarsson.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Impossible to win a game like that without at least one rock solid defensive pair. So much panic when pressured.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
All that talent and another early exit.

11 straight years in the semi's
40 straight wins in the prelims
1 gold medal

Man.. speechless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events