WJC: 2017 Sweden Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Carl Grundstrom does not look like a 19 year old.

He's nearly ready to play in the NHL for Mike Babcock.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Tim Söderlund has been big a standout, still nobody talks about him. Good things always seem to happen when he gets the puck and he should be a key player for us next year.

Pettersson has to make quicker plays. He gets pushed off the puck so easily when he tries to hold on to it. This type of game doesn't fit him right now, especially when he doesn't get any PP's to get things going.

Larsson & Kylington had their strongest games so far against the Finns. Still not sold on this D-group though and Rasmus Dahlin has to play, he is clearly one of our top-6 D's. This special treatment he's been getting has gone too far.

Last edited:

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Somehow Nylander managed to get 3 points but still look kind of invisible the whole game, except for that 2-1 goal.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Tim Söderlund has been big a standout, still nobody talks about him. Good things always seem to happen when he gets the puck and he should be a key player for us next year.

I agree, although I was pretty upset when he took those unnecessary penalties against Switzerland. Good energy player, and good chemistry with Wingerli, who I also think plays good this tourney.

Still waiting for Elias Pettersson to show up.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg

Pettersson has to make quicker plays. He gets pushed off the puck so easily when he tries to hold on to it. This type of game doesn't fit him right now, especially when he doesn't get any PP's to get things going.

Larsson & Kylington had their strongest games so far against the Finns. Still not sold on this D-group though and Rasmus Dahlin has to play, he is clearly one of our top-6 D's. This special treatment he's been getting has gone too far.
Apparently Dahlin isn't a player you want on the ice when you're defending a lead... http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/12...-ska-inte-spela-nar-man-forsvarar-en-ledning/

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009

I agree, the defence will have to be much better if this team is going to have any chance against Canada or the US and probably Russia as well. Kylington has been the most impressive to me. He's the one who's been able to hit a teammate's stick and start a breakout when Sweden's been pinned back. He just needs to cut down on unnecessarily risky plays, because they will eventually lead to goals against as the opposition gets tougher.

Dahlin has been impressive, but I think there is some shiny new toy syndrome happening as well. He's very poised and dynamic, but he's also made some bad plays and turnovers. Not, perhaps, more or at a much higher rate than Kylington or Bernhardt, but this way he's sheltered and his spots are picked to put him in a position to succeed. The alternative, I imagine, is shifting Bernhardt to 7th D.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Somehow Nylander managed to get 3 points but still look kind of invisible the whole game, except for that 2-1 goal.

I saw him quite a lot.

Nylander was Swedens best player.

His linemates excellent too. Best game so far for Sandström too.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I agree, the defence will have to be much better if this team is going to have any chance against Canada or the US and probably Russia as well. Kylington has been the most impressive to me. He's the one who's been able to hit a teammate's stick and start a breakout when Sweden's been pinned back. He just needs to cut down on unnecessarily risky plays, because they will eventually lead to goals against as the opposition gets tougher.

Dahlin has been impressive, but I think there is some shiny new toy syndrome happening as well. He's very poised and dynamic, but he's also made some bad plays and turnovers. Not, perhaps, more or at a much higher rate than Kylington or Bernhardt, but this way he's sheltered and his spots are picked to put him in a position to succeed. The alternative, I imagine, is shifting Bernhardt to 7th D.

Could be the case, the only way to find out though is to give him a fair shot. Maybe he'd look fantastic on a third pair with ~15 minutes, or maybe he'd look overwhelmed in a bigger role. We do know how Bernhardt looks in that role however, he's okay, but not by any means a difference maker. The Czech game would be a good opportunity to try something new.

Last edited:

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Brynäs needs Sandström back! ;)

He's been playing realy well latley, nice that he continues playing well at WJC :handclap:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Carl Grundstrom does not look like a 19 year old.

He's nearly ready to play in the NHL for Mike Babcock.

I honestly think Babcock will leave his wife and marry Grundström.

But seriously though, Grundström is exactly the type of player that Babcock loves. Strong forecheck, speedy, solid defensively and always works hards, he also has a decent skill set and a decent shot. Combine all those things and you have a great complimentary top-6 winger.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I saw him quite a lot.

Nylander was Swedens best player.

His linemates excellent too. Best game so far for Sandström too.

Yeah I agree he was very good. Alex is not William, doesn't dazzle every time he touches the puck. That's completely fine, he's effective when it comes to scoring.

One thing though, he tries to win board battles with his stick work way too much, there's nothing wrong with a shoulder once in a while to protect the puck. Will not work against USA and Canada.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

But seriously though, Grundström is exactly the type of player that Babcock loves. Strong forecheck, speedy, solid defensively and always works hards, he also has a decent skill set and a decent shot. Combine all those things and you have a great complimentary top-6 winger.

next year he ll be captain and be 1 of the tourney all stars ,he loks like a leaf prototype ,but is aboutb 4 years away

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How has Alex Nylander looked? Statistically he has been lights out. 7 points in 3 games. He makes super intelligent subtle quick passes that often work out. As he did in Mississauga I reacll. He's only 2 points shy of last years points totals and is on pace to surpass his brother's 10 points in this tourney also.

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
As a Sens fan I would love to say Ahl is doing great. I do not think he suits the style of game at all. He is big and seemingly slow. He is a front of the net guy who can pot garbage goals. I do not see a good fit for him in the lineup.

I would love to see Gundrstom with Eriksson Ek and Nylander. I would put Dahlen with Pettersson and Andersson

on Kylington; I see good skating, good hands, good athleticism, but lacks IQ

I think you are spot on with your call on Kylington. He's a smooth skater, handles the puck well and is a good passer, BUT he often makes his moves with no real intent. A great offensive d-man is several steps ahead of the play. I don't know how many times I've seen Kylington just being stranded with no more room on the ice and a turn-over as the ultimate result. My favorite (Swedish) offensive d-men of all time were Lidström, Kenny Jönsson and Anton Strålman. Their best attributes were not their overall skillset but their ability to be the smartest player on the ice.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

He is hardly invisible, he is very noticeable, he do good stuff pretty much every shift.

If anyone has better stats then they looks it is Eriksson Ek, he is very carried by Nylander.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

i think he and hyman are solid right now but if cracks start to form and babs wants to go euro with his next love who knows

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He is hardly invisible, he is very noticeable, he do good stuff pretty much every shift.

If anyone has better stats then they looks it is Eriksson Ek, he is very carried by Nylander.

Eriksson Ek carried by Nylander? :skeptic:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I agree. Nylander is hardly an invisible player, he is subtle, quick at sharing the puck. His touches often result in scoring chances. He moves the puck quick, and this makes him and others effective.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

I wonder if moving from MODO to Frolunda over the summer made it all 'click' for him. I guess it would be better off for the Leafs and himself if he stays in that program for a bit longer to continue his development, before crossing the pond over to NA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad