WJC: 2017 Sweden Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next year's roster. I think you guys will be the favorites.

Karlstrom-Pettersson-Nylander
Soderlund-Andersson-Wernblom
Boqvist-Lundstrom-Bratt
Elvenes-Hugg-Steen
Lundestrom

Dahlin-Liljegren
Brannstrom-Moverare
Naseen-Boqvist
Berglund

Gustavsson
Ollie Eriksson Ek
Larsson

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009

Boqvist-Lundstrom-Bratt
Elvenes-Hugg-Steen
Lundestrom

Dahlin-Liljegren
Brannstrom-Moverare
Naseen-Boqvist
Berglund

Gustavsson
Ollie Eriksson Ek
Larsson

Filip Berglund is a -97. You have Lundeström twice. Marcus Davidsson will probably be there, and Linus Högberg is looking good, too. Lukas Wernblom at this point isn't trending to be a top six forward as a double underager, though things might change.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden

Boqvist-Lundstrom-Bratt
Elvenes-Hugg-Steen
Lundestrom

Dahlin-Liljegren
Brannstrom-Moverare
Naseen-Boqvist
Berglund

Gustavsson
Ollie Eriksson Ek
Larsson

Hopefully, the Sabres are patient with Nylander :naughty: Lots of underagers there so it's possibly even better the year after (2019), but chances (risks) are that both Dahlin and Liljegren are gone by then.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Filip Berglund is a -97. You have Lundeström twice. Marcus Davidsson will probably be there, and Linus Högberg is looking good, too. Lukas Wernblom at this point isn't trending to be a top six forward as a double underager, though things might change.

Meant Lindstrom as 3C. One letter can throw things off. :laugh:

Hogberg can replace Berglund as 7D, maybe can play as the third LHD. Wernblom can be swapped with another forward somewhere else in the lineup, but I think he's good enough to make the team.

Hopefully, the Sabres are patient with Nylander :naughty: Lots of underagers there so it's possibly even better the year after (2019), but chances (risks) are that both Dahlin and Liljegren are gone by then.

I think next year is Sweden's year. You guys were good this year, but not that good. Next year you guys should have the most talented team.

Even without Nylander, I think Sweden will be the favorite.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Combining U-20, U-18, World Championships, Olympics, World Cup from 1996 onwards.
Swe vs. Canada (Preliminary round games): 13-13
Swe vs. Canada (QF/SF/Final): 3-19 (I counted 1997 Worlds Final as one game).

Going back further, Sweden has 1 victory in regulation time (2006 Worlds) in 27 QF/SF/Finals against Canada.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
Meant Lindstrom as 3C. One letter can throw things off. :laugh:

Hogberg can replace Berglund as 7D, maybe can play as the third LHD. Wernblom can be swapped with another forward somewhere else in the lineup, but I think he's good enough to make the team.

I read Lundeström twice. My bad. I like Wernblom, and I think he has a shot at making the team, but his production internationally this season doesn't seem to suggest he's going to be a reliable scorer on the Under-20 level next year.

With the possible exception of Dahlin, taking into account his age, no junior-aged defenceman has impressed me more in the SHL this season than Högberg. He didn't play a lot in the beginning, but the last few weeks he's been playing 15-18 minutes a game, and has looked great whenever I've seen him.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think people covered most of the points. Sweden tried to get away from their game and didn't play to their strengths. The D was steeping up in the offence late in the game but the team wasn't generating second chances. Frustrations by Grundstrom and others hurting the team. Dahlin not playing until the 3rd was stupid. Also choosing Bernhart and Gunnarson over Liljegren and Moverare were stupid decisions. Sweden flashed their skill and have some dynamic skaters, nothing wrong with the way they are playing the game, its just that like in 09, Sweden can't seem to contain their emotions in these big games.

quartus

May 11, 2011
The players are there. They should appoint a North American coach for a while and see what can be learned.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Small rinks and the refs against us. Not possible to win.

Big ice and refs not against us - chance to win.

To many WJC is played in North America.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

I think people underestimate the difficulty in transitioning from small ice to big ice, and vice versa.

everything

Jan 5, 2017
Sucks with another 4th place. Thought we were the better team in this one, good amount of shots 38

TSN had Sweden as favorite. All their noses are growing long. They never tell the truth. I have never known of a tournament when Canada was deemed the favorites. Sweden was awful...

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland

Um, i don't really fell like the refs were against us, just makes swedes look like crybabies on the forum. The fact is that they were indeed bad but they also missed calls, for example an obvious to many men on the ice. So i wouldn't say they were biased

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Every year, after another embarassing performance we hear, that next year we will have an EVEN MORE talented team and that will land Sweden a victory.
It's not happening. Sweden is already grossly underperforming, when you win 40 straight games in round robin you clearly are talented enough. It's not the lack of talent or skills. In fact, I would argue the more skill Sweden has, the more they underperform. Finland won more Gold in last 10 years than Sweden despite the fact that Sweden ALWAYS has a more talented team.
In last 10 years, best junior team from Sweden was in 2008, now they were very averagely talented, yet they were flexible and won their games mostly in 3rd periods or in the OT's.
Because they didn't had a complicated "total hockey" model which is also highly fragile as soon, as Sweden encounters NA team with strong forechecking.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
Every year, after another embarassing performance we hear, that next year we will have an EVEN MORE talented team and that will land Sweden a victory.
It's not happening. Sweden is already grossly underperforming, when you win 40 straight games in round robin you clearly are talented enough. It's not the lack of talent or skills. In fact, I would argue the more skill Sweden has, the more they underperform. Finland won more Gold in last 10 years than Sweden despite the fact that Sweden ALWAYS has a more talented team.
In last 10 years, best junior team from Sweden was in 2008, now they were very averagely talented, yet they were flexible and won their games mostly in 3rd periods or in the OT's.
Because they didn't had a complicated "total hockey" model which is also highly fragile as soon, as Sweden encounters NA team with strong forechecking.

I don't think you can say they are "grossly" underperforming. They went to five finals in seven years. Since then they've lost three semi finals. It happens. The 40 consecutive round robin wins thing gets way too hyped; it's largely a product of hardly ever having Canada or the US in their group. I'd argue Russia's streak of medaling in seven straight championships is more impressive.

Beating a good Canadian team on Canadian soil and, more importantly, small ice, is probably next to impossible for kids who are used to depth minutes in the SHL or Allsvenskan, or the languid pace of the SuperElit league.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sweden will be fine.

The country is continually Top 4. They continually bring a contender. They are usually just one 'star' away from a medal. I contend that William Nylander's injury last year likely cost them a medal.

They have some serious talent coming in the next two tourneys.

There is a hump to get over, but the country hasn't pulled anything like Finland did this year, nor will it anytime soon.

It is engrained, at all levels, as one of the top 4 hockey nations on the planet, and has shown plenty of times that it can beat one of the top three, all of which feature a population that is no less than 3 times that of Sweden.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Finland was, just think Sweden is mentally weak. They were definitely the fav next to USA, I was shocked how they choked in both games.

Favorites according to people who had absolutely no clue about most of our players...

Nobody in Sweden thought they were the best team heading into the tournament.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Swedes not playing in NA just cant handle the physical play and the aggressive forecheck of USA and Canada, which is why we always lose against them. No worries, they have learn this after 1 season in the NHL.
The bronze medal game we should have won but finishing was poor.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
How exactly was Sweden underperforming this year? Going into this tournament #3/#4 is where I would have expected us to finish. As I said before the Canada game, the team just got overhyped while in reality it was a really easy group.

Next year Sweden should be a legitimate gold threat however.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How exactly was Sweden underperforming this year? Going into this tournament #3/#4 is where I would have expected us to finish. As I said before the Canada game, the team just got overhyped while in reality it was a really easy group.

Next year Sweden should be a legitimate gold threat however.

I love the 2017 draft fwd group:

Pettersson
Andersson
Davidsson
Bemström
Boqvist
Hugg
Sveningsson
Elvenes

Just a lot of players who are really fun to watch. And a lot of speed. Ofc not all will be there but that is a very nice group. Mix that in with the returnees and 98s who missed this time like Bratt and Steen and it has great potential.

Lundeström & Wernblom from the 2018 draft group are awesome players too. Maybe both could sneak onto the roster.

Nils Höglander I watched some of for AIK... if he can grow a bit he is going to be a great player... though not on next years WJC team! Unless he does a Dahlin next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad