2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What would you say Spurs should prioritize over CB depth when Poch only trusts two real CB's and Dier, and consistently plays a back three, Evilo? I admit that RB should be nearly just as high of a priority but Aurier is seen as "imminent".

Aurier is basically done.

I'd say Spurs really need some wingers. Kane/Alli is fine (but what is the cover though, Janssen?), Son is OK, Eriksen is good. But who are the true wingers here?
I think they could upgrade at CM as well.
Spurs bought zero starter this window, except Aurier.
They should get rid of the dead weight (Sissoko, etc...).

They're one or two Kane/Alli injuries away from having zero offensive firepower.
I can't say I'm convinced by their midfield, and I think they could use greater depth (or starters) up front too.
Defense is really not the way I'd go. At least, one CB, but certainly not 2.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Aurier is basically done.

I'd say Spurs really need some wingers. Kane/Alli is fine (but what is the cover though, Janssen?), Son is OK, Eriksen is good. But who are the true wingers here?
I think they could upgrade at CM as well.
Spurs bought zero starter this window, except Aurier.
They should get rid of the dead weight (Sissoko, etc...).

They're one or two Kane/Alli injuries away from having zero offensive firepower.
I can't say I'm convinced by their midfield, and I think they could use greater depth (or starters) up front too.
Defense is really not the way I'd go. At least, one CB, but certainly not 2.

I'll agree that some more width would be nice. My belief is that they are waiting on Lamela to come back from injury. N'Koudou was also one of our most impressive preseason performers. Many are calling for Marcus Edwards to get some games too.

The only upgrade we need at CM is somebody at the bottom of the depth chart (hence why I am not too happy that we loaned out Onomah). Otherwise Dembele, Dier, Wanyama and Winks are absolutely fine. I'd rather upgrade CB depth than CM depth so we can push Dier towards his better position.

I think Sanchez is going to be a starter quite soon. Not sure why you think Foyth will have a large impact.

I agree that we should have shipped away Sissoko, otherwise we have no dead weight. Janssen deserves another season.

Well, we did outscore our opponents 16-1 over five games last time Kane was injured and Son played up top. Eriksen is basically irreplacable, would be extremely hard to find cover for him at a good price. We are just way too dependant on him.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pochettino doesn't play with wingers. Width is provided by the full backs. With Son, Alli, Eriksen, Sissoko etc. drifting wide.

Which makes the N'Koudou buy even more odd of course. Whenever he plays the shape is different.

Starter up front isn't happening. That is Kane. Ref Morata having no interest in joining Spurs some years ago due to Kane already being the man.

Central midfield is quite average. I agree. Even if it matched Kante and Matic fine head to head last year (as an example). The problem is who would join that are better than the ones Spurs got? Pochettino likes big athletic CMs. Bakayoko could have been someone, but he was never going to Spurs over Chelsea. My guess something will happen next year bringing in a new CM. Pochettino loves Wanayama, but he is a squad player for good teams. Dier is a question mark. Excellent at times, but he has struggled to cope with being both a DM and a CD. Weakened him as a midfield player in my opinion. Dembele is good, but got far too many minor injuries to be consistent. Winks is a fantastic talent, but even if I think he will be top class it is never a given with young players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'll agree that some more width would be nice. My belief is that they are waiting on Lamela to come back from injury. N'Koudou was also one of our most impressive preseason performers. Many are calling for Marcus Edwards to get some games too.

The only upgrade we need at CM is somebody at the bottom of the depth chart (hence why I am not too happy that we loaned out Onomah). Otherwise Dembele, Dier, Wanyama and Winks are absolutely fine. I'd rather upgrade CB depth than CM depth so we can push Dier towards his better position.

I think Sanchez is going to be a starter quite soon. Not sure why you think Foyth will have a large impact.

I agree that we should have shipped away Sissoko, otherwise we have no dead weight. Janssen deserves another season.

Well, we did outscore our opponents 16-1 over five games last time Kane was injured and Son played up top. Eriksen is basically irreplacable, would be extremely hard to find cover for him at a good price. We are just way too dependant on him.

I think it's fair to forget about Lamela and maybe use it as a bonus if he comes back.
Those 3 CMs are good, but hardly championship material. Or at least, you'd need someone better for one spot. And more depth. 4 CMs for 3 spots, meh.
Foyth not having a large impact is exactly what i'm saying. Buying someone for the sake of buying here, when other priorities should be obvious.
You can always find cover at the right price. We're not talking about stars here, but the kind of Foyth, but for AMs.

Pochettino doesn't play with wingers. Width is provided by the full backs. With Son, Alli, Eriksen, Sissoko etc. drifting wide.

Which makes the N'Koudou buy even more odd of course. Whenever he plays the shape is different.

Starter up front isn't happening. That is Kane. Ref Morata having no interest in joining Spurs some years ago due to Kane already being the man.

Central midfield is quite average. I agree. Even if it matched Kante and Matic fine head to head last year (as an example). The problem is who would join that are better than the ones Spurs got? Pochettino likes big athletic CMs. Bakayoko could have been someone, but he was never going to Spurs over Chelsea. My guess something will happen next year bringing in a new CM. Pochettino loves Wanayama, but he is a squad player for good teams. Dier is a question mark. Excellent at times, but he has struggled to cope with being both a DM and a CD. Weakened him as a midfield player in my opinion. Dembele is good, but got far too many minor injuries to be consistent. Winks is a fantastic talent, but even if I think he will be top class it is never a given with young players.

You answered your own questions. I used the word winger, but indeed, I meant drifting wide. You named Son, Ali, Eriksen and Sissoko. That's 4, and one of them sucks. That's not enough, Nkoudou or not.
Poch might like athletic CMs but for one, that's a closed minded way to see CMs (wouldn't a guy like Tielemans or Seri help?), and two, some were surely available. Some still are (Carvahlo?).

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
According to John Cross, City has made a offer of Raheem Sterling + cash for Alexei Sanchez... if true, we should take the offer and run.

John Cross @johncrossmirror
·
1h
BREAKING: Man City have made a player-plus-cash offer for Alexis Sanchez involving Raheem Sterling. More on @MirrorFootball

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Those 3 CMs are good, but hardly championship material. Or at least, you'd need someone better for one spot. And more depth. 4 CMs for 3 spots, meh.
Foyth not having a large impact is exactly what i'm saying. Buying someone for the sake of buying here, when other priorities should be obvious.
You can always find cover at the right price. We're not talking about stars here, but the kind of Foyth, but for AMs.

Not sure if you're calling our CAM spot a CM spot. Otherwise we only use two CM's. Dembele and Wanyama proved to be the second best pairing last season. Dier struggles shifting between CB and CM, I admit, but playing less CB should help. And Harry Winks should be getting an increase in minutes, not a decrease. Hence why I would not want a CM in front of him in the depth chart. Wouldn't mind acquiring someone behind him though.

As I said earlier, Foyth was most likely brought in because there were doubts around Carter-Vickers who will be closely looked upon during his loan at Sheffield.

I guess we could use another creative attacking player to "try" covering for Eriksen. Everton seem desperate to get rid of Barkley so I think he could be a low risk/high reward signing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Foyth is one for the future buys. At under 10 million there's no risk and wil not stop you from buying your needs. It's not like their signing a 29 year old Brazilian that has no future at the club.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You answered your own questions. I used the word winger, but indeed, I meant drifting wide. You named Son, Ali, Eriksen and Sissoko. That's 4, and one of them sucks. That's not enough, Nkoudou or not.
Poch might like athletic CMs but for one, that's a closed minded way to see CMs (wouldn't a guy like Tielemans or Seri help?), and two, some were surely available. Some still are (Carvahlo?).

Eriksen
Alli
Son
Sissoko
Lamela
N'Koudou
Edwards

Often Spurs will only play two of them behind Kane. I don't see a big depth issue. Spurs can't afford not to give Lamela a shot after his injury. That complicates things. Still having Sissoko around is an almost sackable offence in my opinion, but he can do a job against teams like Burnley (he had two great through balls in that game). N'Koudou is odd. Clearly got some skill, but already he isn't getting minutes so why bring in more players? Edwards looks great. The kind of player Spurs just got to make a bet on making it. Spurs can't compete like for like with the best so they got to make better bets on players like Edwards becoming good.

I would have sold Sissoko, but I wouldn't have brought someone else in. I would have given Lamela and N'Koudou the next 12 months to prove themselves. If they aren't good enough fix that next summer.

As for CMs I agree and disagree. I can respect a manager wanting to fill roles with certain kind of players. I don't necessarily agree Spurs got to play with big and strong CMs, but I hate good players being played in wrong kind of roles. I would much rather have someone with a wider range of passing etc. As for the specific players. Winks basically is Tielemans. I love Tielemans, but I wouldn't have bought him to play instead of Winks. I also think Tielemans made a good decision moving to Monaco - so even if Spurs wanted him I am far from certain they would have gotten him. Seri I'm not familiar enough with. Carvalho. Maybe. More of the same for me.

Personally I would have bought one more CD (or kept CCV). Sold Dier for those 50m. Bought Tielemans if I could. He would have been behind Winks in the pecking order initially though. Or Seri. Then Spurs would have had Dembele and Wanyama who are excellent defensively. Winks who is an excellent passer and extremely hard worker. Tielemans or Seri which could have dictated the tempo of the game. And with the money from Walker, Dier and Sissoko that would have been basically without any net spend (even with Aurier and Sanchez).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
£18m for Wimmer. How is that possible? Clearly has some potential, but I just don't get it.

So many average Spurs players are sold at ridiculous prices.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Keita replaces Mbappe.
Dendoncker about to join Monaco. Fabio probably gone to PSG.

Aurier getting his permit is yet another sign of cheating last year.
No for one day, yes for 5 years. Joke all around.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Keita replaces Mbappe.
Dendoncker about to join Monaco. Fabio probably gone to PSG.

Aurier getting his permit is yet another sign of cheating last year.
No for one day, yes for 5 years. Joke all around.

I thought Jovetic replaces Mbappe

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, he replaces Germain.

I think Monaco just want as many assets as possible. Which is a really great strategies for them. Maybe Falcao can help Origi out; their is still upside.

The 75m isn't too bad either.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I really hope that Jovetic gets back on track with Monaco, he had oodles of potential before injuries really derailed him; I still wear my Fiorentina kit with him on the back of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad