ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
DIVUNBvXoAIVL3K.jpg

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I just don't get it from Leipzig's end. I mean they keep him another season, but I'm not sure it gets them anywhere. On top of that they could begin the process of replacing that much sooner and with that much more money. Sure they may not need it, but big difference between 80 million and 50 million.

Got it. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out if they sign him. Would be a serious statement of intent from Liverpool, but that van Dijk fee...

Makes sense. He ate a lot because he was stressed out, put on some weight and his back was sore as a result. :D

I'm not seeing this premium though. I just saw 50 million. Granted it was a headline.

Release clause was 45-48m. Liverpool are paying 55m.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, but what were they offering earlier this Summer?

They offered 66m at the minimum but RBL wouldn't sell. They wanted to keep him for another season.

Also is it safe to say that Mane, Salah and Keita are three of the top five African players in the world?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's not a big difference then. I thought Liverpool bid upwards of 80 million.

If I remember correctly they had a bid of 75 lined up but didn't bother because RBL wouldn't change their stance on not selling so they never sent in the bid. Indications were that they would have gone up though. Liverpool budgeted in between 125-150m to get Keita and Virgil done according to most reports.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
What a crazy window.
Who would have thought?
We were just looking at a possible Verratti to Barca move, and Auba overpayment and a potential Mbappe move.
Now, it's all out war out there.
Neymar breaks the transfer record, Mbappe and Dembele are 2 and 3. Morata and Lukaku get bought for 80 MF' M. Each. Barca is desparate. They buy Paulinho for 40 MF' M. Liverpool rejects a crazy 150 MF' M for Coutinho, Monaco is selling 50% of its championship team. City spends money like crazy on FB, not a single CB coming in. They got rejected by Mbappe, Arsenal, etc... Arsenal who might have to sell Sanchez, Chamberlain and Ozil in two days. Lacazette about to join Atletico but transfer ban sends him to Arsenal instead... where he doesn't even start in front of Welbeck. Real makes ZERO move. They just sell James to Bayern and Morata to Chelsea, racking up money in the process. Chelsea, coming off a major season, barely spends (except major overpayment for Morata) but sells Matic to United. Spurs don't make move, get thrashed in the papers by one of their own players, immediately sign someone, anyone, even if it's not a positionnal need.

What a crazy window. And it's far from over yet. Liverpool are trying to build something big, PSG are trying to get that one last piece (DM), Seri to Barca has to be done, just for the feel-good story, United are trying to get Bale, Sanchez and Ozil could move, etc, etc, etc...

Say what?

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Only player I want before the window closes is Aurier.

Bouhafsi even says that he prefers United over Spurs, but Spurs are willing to pay more to PSG. Idk how we're losing a battle over $$$ with Spurs but I guess it is what it is.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
They offered 66m at the minimum but RBL wouldn't sell. They wanted to keep him for another season.

Also is it safe to say that Mane, Salah and Keita are three of the top five African players in the world?

AFCON really needs to be rescheduled and moved to the off season or at least have it be played every 4 years instead of 2. Liverpool will be at a HUGE disadvantage next season. It just isn't fair to the players, clubs, or national teams.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Why leave out Matip? ;)

Who are the other two? Auba and Koulibaly?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
AFCON really needs to be rescheduled and moved to the off season or at least have it be played every 4 years instead of 2. Liverpool will be at a HUGE disadvantage next season. It just isn't fair to the players, clubs, or national teams.

It was rescheduled to the summer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Very clearly PSG. Like Duchene said, then how come he isn't playing for them? How come they never followed up on the bid after we pulled out? Do you honestly think Seri would reject PSG at this point?

Technically PSG did nothing wrong by the book, but bidding for a player you're not interested in just to raise the price on someone else is a dick move itself. Then when it actually scuppers a deal it's worse and in this case Seri is the one who misses out. You may also want to go back and read Seri's comments as well. Very clear his thoughts on how things went down with Nice.

:huh:
Seri DID reject PSG.
PSG inquired for Seri wayyyyy before Barca.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
“I am delighted that an agreement has been reached which will allow me to join Liverpool Football Club next summer, when I will become part of a project that excites me greatly,” he said.

“My commitment to RBL remains absolute for the remainder of my time at the club. I have given my all every time I have worn the shirt – that will be the case until the final whistle, in my final appearance.

“Having my future resolved means I can now focus on helping RBL achieve great things this season. Until I join my new club, next summer, I will remain an interested supporter from a distance.”
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/amp/news/first-team/273590-liverpool-agree-deal-to-sign-naby-keita

Keita deal confirmed for summer 2018.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Two days after Rose's whining, they signed 2 CBs. Do they really need 2? It's overkill.

Last season Poch clearly didn't trust Wimmer or Carter-Vickers. He only used three players in the CB position about 90% of the time. When one of those got injured he would rather limit himself to only playing with a back four than playing Wimmer or Carter-Vickers. Now Wimmer is getting sold (to Stoke it seems). In Sanchez we have a much better player, so now Poch has 4 CB's he can trust. This would in theory increase our CM depth too seeing how Dier wouldn't be forced to always play in a back three.

Carter-Vickers was loaned out to Sheffield to see how he would do with more minutes or attract buyers. Foyth is probably seen as the better fit. Will get some cup games most likely.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If anything Spurs are one CD short. So certainly not an overkill.

Dier once again showed against Burnley he can't be trusted as a CD. Unfortunately Pochettino hasn't realized it yet.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If anything Spurs are one CD short. So certainly not an overkill.

Dier once again showed against Burnley he can't be trusted as a CD. Unfortunately Pochettino hasn't realized it yet.

Pretty sure he was mostly playing CM. I agree that he is extremely inconsitent. If Foyth is as good as I've heard I wouldn't be too worried.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pretty sure he was mostly playing CM. I agree that he is extremely inconsitent. If Foyth is as good as I've heard I wouldn't be too worried.

We went 3 at the back when Burnley replaced their forwards. As always never aware of things behind him. Not at fault for the goal, but similar situation happened with him letting Wood slip in behind.

4 CDs with 3 spots. Not enough. But as long as Dier is considered an option it is. Makes us exposed on midfield though. Almost laughable how open we were when we had Dembele, Eriksen, Alli and Sissoko in midfield. Of course Winks should have been on 20mins earlier at least - would have helped.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Last season Poch clearly didn't trust Wimmer or Carter-Vickers. He only used three players in the CB position about 90% of the time. When one of those got injured he would rather limit himself to only playing with a back four than playing Wimmer or Carter-Vickers. Now Wimmer is getting sold (to Stoke it seems). In Sanchez we have a much better player, so now Poch has 4 CB's he can trust. This would in theory increase our CM depth too seeing how Dier wouldn't be forced to always play in a back three.

Carter-Vickers was loaned out to Sheffield to see how he would do with more minutes or attract buyers. Foyth is probably seen as the better fit. Will get some cup games most likely.

They signed 2 CBs with Dier as cover too. Technically 6 CBs. They really had other areas to fill IMO.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
What would you say Spurs should prioritize over CB depth when Poch only trusts two real CB's and Dier, and consistently plays a back three, Evilo? I admit that RB should be nearly just as high of a priority but Aurier is seen as "imminent".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad