Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...rom-barcelona-for-philippe-coutinho-93bpqjv0n
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...aled-barcelona-bid-philippe-coutinho-11012912

"The true fee is a guaranteed £80m, with a string of improbable targets triggering further payments.

These ‘never-never payments’ would include Coutinho...

Winning multiple trophies in the same season
Winning multiple Champions League titles
Winning the Ballon d’Or as the world’s best player
Winning multiple trophies and the Ballon D’Or in the same season
Payment of the basic £80m fee staggered over five years
"

**** off again please

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's a laughable offer when they've been told the club won't sell the player. If they really want the player they need to make an offer Liverpool can't turn down.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...rom-barcelona-for-philippe-coutinho-93bpqjv0n
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...aled-barcelona-bid-philippe-coutinho-11012912

"The true fee is a guaranteed £80m, with a string of improbable targets triggering further payments.

These ‘never-never payments’ would include Coutinho...

Winning the Ballon d’Or as the world’s best player
Winning multiple trophies and the Ballon D’Or in the same season
Payment of the basic £80m fee staggered over five years
"

**** off again please

I wouldn't say these are ridiculous:

Multiple trophies seems pretty straight forward and likely to happen. Multiple CL titles is much less likely with Neymar gone, but not stupid like the Ballon d'Or clause.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That's a laughable offer when they've been told the club won't sell the player. If they really want the player they need to make an offer Liverpool can't turn down.

Yea it doesn't make real sense unless they're convinced Liverpool will just fold under pressure because Coutinho wants out. Seems like a pretty stupid approach to take when everyone knows you're sitting on 200m in hard cash.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Certainly an easy offer to turn down. Don't think Barca is going to go away though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Reminds me of trying to buy players far too good for my team in Football Manager. "Yeah you can get 50% of the next sale and 8 million for every ten goals this centre half scores"

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Reminds me of trying to buy players far too good for my team in Football Manager. "Yeah you can get 50% of the next sale and 8 million for every ten goals this centre half scores"

Pretty much how I signed a healthy Daniel Sturridge for celtic.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
After Liverpool leaked that offer they decided to tell Barcelona not to contact them anymore. So it's fair to say there's no way in hell they're letting Coutinho leave.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I don't blame Liverpool one bit in this. Coutinho signed a five year contract what...less than a year ago?

They shouldn't feel obligated at all to sell the player.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I love abusing the CPU like that. Similar to adding clean sheet or goal bonuses on a FIFA contract to get them to sign while you're building a lower team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That's brilliant. And not at all surprising with this Barca board. He could leverage his departure to force Bartomeu out. Or he could go to England or something. It'll be very interesting.

He could potentially leverage his departure in an election, but even then who knows. Rosell won the last election when it was clear he shouldn't have.

Do people think barca will get relegated?:laugh:

Barca will have a sub par year by their standards, probably ended up trophy less but will still make it deep in the CL and under a new president in the summer of 2018 they get the necessary transfers in and move on from this.

Lio and Iniesta both will stay.

It would seem so. Clearly a replacement for Neymar needs to be brought in and Madrid are better thanks primarily to their midfield, pace and tactics. Still if they can simply bring in a Neymar replacement they can play with Madrid. People either have short memories or aren't watching.

While I'm not expecting any trophies, I think they could win a couple. I wouldn't bet on it and I'm not confident in Valverde, but until the transfer window closes we'll have to wait and see.

Messi leaving is less likely, but we'll see how it goes. However with regards to Iniesta I'd be shocked if he lasted longer than this season.

On paper I'm not even sure they have a better team than Atletico. Sure they have Messi and Suarez, but Atletico's defense is definitely better, while I'd also take their midfield over Barca's.

Atleti's defense isn't better at all much less "definitely" better. Atleti play more defensively as a team, but individually they're not better defensively. Fillipe Luis is but that's it.

It's really too bad that we didn't end up getting Kovacic. That guy is a beast and just insanely good. I still feel like he should start for RM and it's a shame he's not a locked on starter. He'd walk into any team in the world and I'd take him in a second over any of our midfielders (Coutinho included).

Watch him regularly and you'll see Kovacic thus far has been inconsistent.

Agreed on both counts. I get how late in the window it is and I understand supporters worrying about how Liverpool would spend the money, but it's Coutinho. For that sort of deal you can get two apparently available players and probably not lose a beat.

Good move for Foyth. He can learn a great deal from Poch.

Would he be getting a lot of game time or are the Spurs deep at CB?

Spurs are very deep at CB and they're signing Sanchez.

Matuidi's price is 20+10.5M in fact.

10.5 in variables I assume. That makes more sense.

Very laughable offer. Stupid offer really.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't even know why they want Coutinho. Seri's out there and on top of that they could even buy another player with that money.

I wouldn't sell Coutinho only because of the principle of the matter. He just signed that contract with no release clause. Any offer with a guaranteed £120m I'd let him go though. For less next summer.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't even know why they want Coutinho. Seri's out there and on top of that they could even buy another player with that money.

I wouldn't sell Coutinho only because of the principle of the matter. He just signed that contract with no release clause. Any offer with a guaranteed £120m I'd let him go though. For less next summer.

I agree. I'd even throw Sanchez in the mix if he wasn't already going to Spurs.

Yeah, I think you need to have some sort of price. I'd consider for less than your figure, but I get where you're coming from. Thing is though I still think Liverpool have a ton of leverage next Summer too. Plenty of time left on his deal and who knows where the market will be then?

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I agree. I'd even throw Sanchez in the mix if he wasn't already going to Spurs.

Yeah, I think you need to have some sort of price. I'd consider for less than your figure, but I get where you're coming from. Thing is though I still think Liverpool have a ton of leverage next Summer too. Plenty of time left on his deal and who knows where the market will be then?

Doubt Barca gonna buy another CB, they have an agreement with Mina for next season already. 9M euros.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I agree, but I'm more stating what I'd like to see. That said they could easily do it and still have room for Mina next season.

I see. I personally would much rather Mina for 9M than Sanchez for 44M. Mina is just as good if not better than Davinson. His passing ability is much more advanced than Davinson's wich fits Barcelona's style better too.

Great deal for Barca, Mina is easily worth + than 25M if not for that buyout clause Barca got when he was at Santa Fe.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I see. I personally would much rather Mina for 9M than Sanchez for 44M. Mina is just as good if not better than Davinson. His passing ability is much more advanced than Davinson's wich fits Barcelona's style better too.

Great deal for Barca, Mina is easily worth + than 25M if not for that buyout clause Barca got when he was at Santa Fe.

I prefer Sanchez based on what I've seen and his experience, but I've not seen that much of Mina. From what I have seen and read 9 million is nothing so I'm not worried about the transfer at all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh really? They shined so much last year. Especially in Europe indeed.

Ramos/Varane?
Pique/Umtiti?
Thiago Silva/Marquinhos?
Boateng/Hummels?
Godin/Savic?

Heck, if you look at european performance mainly, Glik/Jemerson?

Boateng battled injury last year...but Javi - Hummels have a great case to be ranked ahead of the tottenham CBs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs didn't have a great defensive record only because of their CB's. Not very many teams set up with a beast like Wanyama covering their defensive line, as well as two quick and technically capable fullbacks. Great keeper too.

There was not a single weakness in their back six, but part of why Spurs aren't an elite team is that they don't have the attackers to keep European teams from piling pressure onto them. And Trippier is nowhere near as good as Walker. I don't think they'll be as good this season.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Spurs didn't have a great defensive record only because of their CB's. Not very many teams set up with a beast like Wanyama covering their defensive line, as well as two quick and technically capable fullbacks. Great keeper too.

There was not a single weakness in their back six, but part of why Spurs aren't an elite team is that they don't have the attackers to keep European teams from piling pressure onto them. And Trippier is nowhere near as good as Walker. I don't think they'll be as good this season.

This is a bold suggestion considering that they scored the most goals in the league last year, have the reigning golden boot winner and all this despite one of their top guys in Lamela missing most of the season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't say in the league. I chose my words very carefully there. The only game where they scored more than one goal in the CL was to get a Europa League spot. Basically a dead rubber.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I didn't say in the league. I chose my words very carefully there. The only game where they scored more than one goal in the CL was to get a Europa League spot. Basically a dead rubber.

Fair enough, my apologies.

But I think UCL wasn't indication of Spurs as a team. They were going through motions at the time. I would be stunned if we see a repeat of that this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad