Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Rumors XI: The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The MLS or some Asian league maybe, but other than that it makes zero sense for him to go anywhere else. I would expect him to have still 3 Barcelona seasons in him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
RD8nB30.jpg

You should look at the links between Avram Glazer and Chevrolet. I read a nice paper on this a few months ago... Such a nice team..

And because it needs being said - yeah, jealousy, that's it. A Bayern fan, jealous, of PSG. For sure. Because just about everybody wants to have his childhood team seen taken over by some foreign state trying to use it as some kind of PR department - at the cheap price of getting guys like Neymar and Mbappe play for some time, that's all your soul costs. Congrats, man, you've understood nothing.

Read the order of the posts again.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Evilo, I respect you a fair bit for your ability to identify talent in young players, and that isn't going to change. But we're not going come to terms regarding the politics that surrounds it. Nothing is obvious, unless you have drank (too much of) PSG's cool aid.

You repeating that I'm somehow advocating Real is nothing but your own imagination - I'd love to see them buried, I just don't give up on my principles as easily. If Juve has another price to pay, I'm happy if they will. If Barca has to, please, go ahead. If you feel like Bayern has to, I'm looking forward to seeing any sort of evidence of that.

Please, to prove any of your points, tell me how Bayern isn't sustainable. That's going to be fascinating.

Thing is, you're commenting on things you have no idea about.
Question : when is the UEFA commission supposed to "investigate"? In october 2017... for operations that concern movements before june 2017.
Question : when is UEFA supposed to investigate on Neymar and Mbappe's moves? In october 2018.
Got it? UEFA is not even respecting its own calendar.

Question : why? Tell me WHY?

Is it because of the law? Nah, UEFA is breaking its own calendar rules.
So why? Because Tebas and the old boys clubs are pressuring UEFA to ban PSG from the CL. As per their words "to protect the CL's credibility". :laugh:

If you can't see the hypocrisy of this statement and hypocrisy of those teams (and the neo-fascist too) that pressured UEFA, then by all means, you're the one drinking Kool-Aid.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I respect Evilo's opinion a lot, but this is right. For a supposedly great and top football nation, they haven't won anything. Their World Cup win was in 1998 and if you discount their 2000 Euro win, their last won was in 1984. World Cup is hard to win for any nation, even the dynasty ones like Brasil, but their lack of Euro success is quite pathetic.

Don't get me wrong, England is in the same group of over-hype yet unsuccessful international nation.

I can see no reason to discount 2000, not least because that French team was one of the greatest international sides I've ever seen.

When I was a teenager- ie the early to mid 90s - it was often suggested that rugby rather than football was France's national sport. Mind, the people saying that were usually English journalists.

Whatever the truth, it bears repetition that even up to then France had produced a couple of fine club sides without what could remotely be considered financial doping. Before losing their pair of European Cup finals in the 50s, Stade de Reims had won that competition's precursor, the Latin Cup, in 1953, beating the Grenoli Milan in the final, no less. Head into the seventies, meanwhile, and you have Saint-Etienne. And I'd be surprised if anyone who witnessed the era had forgotten the PSG of Weah, Rai and that bloke who fancied himself and ended up playing in NE1. PSG didn't rise organically, but unless memory misleads, neither would it be true to call it a club propelled by a sugar-daddy.

France as an international nation has enjoyed far more deep runs in major tournaments than England. Disregard results in tournaments as host nation, and you have the following:

France - Champions 2000
Runners-up 2006
Semi-finalists 1958, 1982, 1986 (it hadn't before occurred to me that this is the only time either of these nations has reached the last four of any finals series played outside Yurp), 1996 (easily forgotten, so nondescript was their progress through that tournament, I'd have omitted this, if not for fact-checking).

England - Semi-finalists 1968, 1990

And, thank goodness, rugby has never been the English national winter sport. So there can't be the excuse of divided resources.

As for the idea that France isn't a great football nation, I'm bound to remark that the French provided the impetus for the World Cup, the Euros and European Club competitions. In recent years, their record as a factory of footballing talent is extraordinary. The lack of silverware is more a comment on the character of their players and coaches than anything else. One might remark the Dutch historically have had a similar problem, and adapt Brian Kidd's neglected comment about team-building accordingly to say, 'You can organise a system, but you can't organise hearts'.

And anyway, I've long argued that English football's failures have as their root cause a similar failure to find a correct balance in the talent-team-temperament equation among players and coaches alike.

Ten years ago, plenty of people were happy to dismiss Spain's standing in the game on account of their failure to win big international prizes. Which goes to show the flaw in using cup-counting as the sole arbiter of a country's worth.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The miles and wear on Messi mean that moving to another league might accelerate the decline if you ask me.

I'd agree.

We should count ourselves fortunate that the treadmill hasn't finished him already. After all, even before he emerged, 'experts' were telling us players of his stature could no longer thrive at the highest level.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
To be fair, outside of Monaco, taxes and laws in France are much less favourable to clubs, players and owners than in other major European countries.

England would be a crappy league with only their domestic players and domestic TV market, especially with brexit coming.

Those of us who bear the scars of watching English football before roughly the mid 90s know the truth of this.

And had it not been for UEFA's deference to English clubs up until 1991, which allowed players from the island of Ireland, Wales and Scotland to be different nationalities to the English in the international game, but compatriots at club level without applying restrictions, how many European Cups would English clubs have won between 1968 and 1984?

Glasgow Celtic 1967 may not be the greatest club team ever (nor the greatest washing machine manufactured in Korea, nor the greatest guitar solo played by Jimmy Page, despite what internet polls will tell you) but they didn't field a single foreign ringer.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
As for this argument about FFP, from my perspective it amounts to one set of aristocrats arguing with another set of aristocrats over what's the well-mannered way to stamp the peasantry into the dirt forever.

Being a filthy drudge for my own part, I merely hope for a bloodbath in which the whole bloody lot of them are destroyed, or left so badly wounded I can stroll the battle in its aftermath, cheerfully lifting valuables and slitting superior throats.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Only thing I'm aware of is Glazer using the team as a family ATM and leveraging their debt like crazy. That's not ideal, but the reason he was able to do that is becuase the finances of United are so strong they can survive the debt without much issue.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can't find it, but this is a start :

http://jalopnik.com/5930224/did-600-million-man-u-soccer-jerseys-get-a-gm-executive-fired

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...sponsorship-of-manchester-united/#more-454907

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ould-net-216m-in-Manchester-United-float.html

Mr Ewanick, 52, had withheld details about an earlier United deal. One insider said he had not properly reported financial details about an automotive sponsorship agreement with United.

It's not the article I read a few months ago, but those three will give you good reading regarding the scandalous Chevrolet sponsorship deals : american tax money turned into EPL sponsorship, turned into Caiman accounts.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Another article on how PSG will dodge the FFP rules :
http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2017/0...-dribblent-le-fair-play-financier_a_23187855/

Of course if UEFA changes its rules in order to punish PSG regardless of its own rules, there's nothing one can do. They're already changing their own calendar, so who knows?
After all, Real, Barca, Bayern or Juve are not exactly champions when you have to respect rules. So why would they change here? They'll probably pressure UEFA enough to makes rules shift in their favor.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Can't find it, but this is a start :

http://jalopnik.com/5930224/did-600-million-man-u-soccer-jerseys-get-a-gm-executive-fired

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...sponsorship-of-manchester-united/#more-454907

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ould-net-216m-in-Manchester-United-float.html

It's not the article I read a few months ago, but those three will give you good reading regarding the scandalous Chevrolet sponsorship deals : american tax money turned into EPL sponsorship, turned into Caiman accounts.

There's nothing there that wasn't known before (the last article is 5 years old) and thus covered. Also doesn't make the deal "fake" in that United would not be getting the money.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There's nothing there that wasn't known before (the last article is 5 years old) and thus covered. Also doesn't make the deal "fake" in that United would not be getting the money.

I didn't say United wasn't getting the money. The deal is fake because the money never should have been given.
The same way that when Qatar airways wants to give 200M€ to PSG, UEFA refuses and only counts 100M€.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure. But he's the guy who speaks. If Bayern had any credibility, they wouldn't let a guy like that say City and PSG spend too much money or that Douglas Costa is money-hungry.
How hypocrite can you be to say that?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I didn't say United wasn't getting the money. The deal is fake because the money never should have been given.
The same way that when Qatar airways wants to give 200M€ to PSG, UEFA refuses and only counts 100M€.

The chevy sponsorship is pretty darn close to market value. Sure there was some shadiness around the deal, but United was getting that money, or the vast majority of it, for a new kit sponsor regardless of which company it was with.

The money going from Qatar to PSG, isn't anything like that. It's not based on market value of the deal or marketing potential, it's based on an owner of one business wanting to send a truckload of cash to his pet project so they can buy one of the best players in football.

The situations aren't even remotely comparable.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The transfer window is over and the this thread has gone off track. It will be opened at a later point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad