Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Rumors XI: The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Don't really understand why the other Arsenal owners don't sell their stake to Usmanov, as clearly the club means very little to them regarding either sporting success or prestige.

If they're in it for the money (what else could it be) then Usmanov buying the rest of the club would give them exactly that.

Given his wealth and age, Usmanov would probably invest 5 billion into the team/club during the next 5-10 years.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Per a reliable Monaco insider, Barca proposed 70M€ for Lemar. :laugh:
Got rejected, but they said it was their final offer. :facepalm:

I mean, Monaco should be so honored to be phoned by Barca that a 30M discount should be made (in fact, Monaco is now asking for 125M).

Can't believe Liverpool didn't match Arsenal. A horrific mistake. Worse than not getting Virgil.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have zero reason to just take their words for or to just appeal to their authority. If there's proof, neither you nor I know at this point - you just choose to believe PSG's word for it. Again, I'm not expecting them to have messed this up, as I indeed don't believe they are idiots. But whatever their meetings/chats with UEFA were before, these bodies generally don't opperate at the request of teams - I doubt that UEFA have checked everything there is to it through these meetings so far. I'm not expecting problems for PSG, but I also have zero reason to believe the investigation is a joke because PSG says so. Their statement is actually somewhat interesting in one regard - their notion that they have valuable players they could sell in the next transfer windows would suggest that they themselves see a chance that their numbers are not okay as of now, and they would have to balance things later.
Of course I don't have proofs. But I doubt that PSG went there twice to talk about flowers.
And obviously, their numbers aren't OK as of now, but they will sell in the next two windows and be happy with it.

Not really, clubs are free to become very big if they do it financially organically. Getting a random billionair owner to pump a billion euros into his new toy just isn't a positive thing.
But no team can do it nowadays other than this route. That's what FFP is all about. Teams can't get big because it takes time and their players will have been bought by the big rich club for insane money and insane salaries. And since TV rights and sponsorships go hand in hand with long term success, only big clubs will get insane money coming in.
Anyway you look at it, FFP makes sure the big clubs stay the only big clubs.

I really don't expect anything different. I just don't think that's a foregone conclusion already to the people that matter.

Oh I do believe PSG when they say they were told everything is in order and then UEFA issues a statement like this. It is well known Juventus (lol, yeah you can buy refs, no problem), Real (same really), Barca (sore losers) and Bayern (Let's again hear Hoeness about money in football please) are making waves in UEFA about PSG.
No proof obviously but seems extremely believeable to me.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Of course I don't have proofs. But I doubt that PSG went there twice to talk about flowers.
And obviously, their numbers aren't OK as of now, but they will sell in the next two windows and be happy with it.
Well, there you go. Who knows what kind of valuations PSG used for their assets to show to UEFA that they'll be fine through sales? Maybe they had DiMaria @ €70M, Draxler @ €50M, Krychowiak @ €30M - I don't know that. On top of that, since we're most likely looking at a balance over a certain business year, they most likely can't calculate three transfer windows (Summer 17, Winter 17/18, Summer 18) in one balance - you tend to have fixed cutoff dates that only allow looking at expenses/income in one exact year, not one year and the next transfer window. Things like that are interesting on their own and absolutely warrant being looked into.

I am pretty sure they didn't talk about flowers or the weather in Katar. But this is a legal area - people have different interpretations of the rules all the time. People think they find loopholes. People think they won't be figured out, or the fines would be so low that it would be worth it. It's just a bit absurd to absolve them of anything a priori without anything other than their word for it. You can exect everything to be okay, as do I, and as does just about everybody, I imagine. But that appeal to one side's authority is plain unnecessary.

But no team can do it nowadays other than this route. That's what FFP is all about. Teams can't get big because it takes time and their players will have been bought by the big rich club for insane money and insane salaries. And since TV rights and sponsorships go hand in hand with long term success, only big clubs will get insane money coming in.
Anyway you look at it, FFP makes sure the big clubs stay the only big clubs.
You're right, it takes time. I for one, think there's nothing wrong with it taking a decade or two for a mid-sized club to become a world giant. It certainly makes it tougher for other clubs to match the current giants, but don't act like sustainable business models don't have any other positive meaning.

Oh I do believe PSG when they say they were told everything is in order and then UEFA issues a statement like this.
Well, that's naive, at best. Maybe the next time when some other user calls you a PSG fan in this thread, don't laugh at that notion if you're willing to blindly take their word for everything.

It is well known Juventus (lol, yeah you can buy refs, no problem), Real (same really), Barca (sore losers) and Bayern (Let's again hear Hoeness about money in football please) are making waves in UEFA about PSG.
Juventus got relegated - that wasn't exactly a slap on the wrist. I hate Real with a bit of a passion, but "same really" is laughable - if you have the evidence to convict them, please, bring that forward, I'd love to see them relegated, as well. Barca being "sore losers" is IMO true, but as far as I know, that is not punishable. Lastly, Hoeneß is definitely a hypocrite, but he did things with his own money and paid the price. None of these clubs are angels, but they are entirely free to make any waves they want. Paris isn't above the rules, and going through the process to see whether they actually follow the rules - instead of just listening to them that they definitely did - would seem like a no-brainer unless you're heavily biased.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, there you go. Who knows what kind of valuations PSG used for their assets to show to UEFA that they'll be fine through sales? Maybe they had DiMaria @ €70M, Draxler @ €50M, Krychowiak @ €30M - I don't know that. On top of that, since we're most likely looking at a balance over a certain business year, they most likely can't calculate three transfer windows (Summer 17, Winter 17/18, Summer 18) in one balance - you tend to have fixed cutoff dates that only allow looking at expenses/income in one exact year, not one year and the next transfer window. Things like that are interesting on their own and absolutely warrant being looked into.

I am pretty sure they didn't talk about flowers or the weather in Katar. But this is a legal area - people have different interpretations of the rules all the time. People think they find loopholes. People think they won't be figured out, or the fines would be so low that it would be worth it. It's just a bit absurd to absolve them of anything a priori without anything other than their word for it. You can exect everything to be okay, as do I, and as does just about everybody, I imagine. But that appeal to one side's authority is plain unnecessary.

You're right, it takes time. I for one, think there's nothing wrong with it taking a decade or two for a mid-sized club to become a world giant. It certainly makes it tougher for other clubs to match the current giants, but don't act like sustainable business models don't have any other positive meaning.

Well, that's naive, at best. Maybe the next time when some other user calls you a PSG fan in this thread, don't laugh at that notion if you're willing to blindly take their word for everything.

Juventus got relegated - that wasn't exactly a slap on the wrist. I hate Real with a bit of a passion, but "same really" is laughable - if you have the evidence to convict them, please, bring that forward, I'd love to see them relegated, as well. Barca being "sore losers" is IMO true, but as far as I know, that is not punishable. Lastly, Hoeneß is definitely a hypocrite, but he did things with his own money and paid the price. None of these clubs are angels, but they are entirely free to make any waves they want. Paris isn't above the rules, and going through the process to see whether they actually follow the rules - instead of just listening to them that they definitely did - would seem like a no-brainer unless you're heavily biased.

:facepalm:
I'm no PSG fan, but it's quite obvous to see the truth. You prefer to look the other way, perfectly fine, you're a Bayern fan. That's what they do, just like with Hoeness.

Mind, you, the FFP is about being OK over 5 years. So yeah, it's so obvious there's absolutely no problem it's laughable.
I could link you to dozens of articles that go in depth about PSG's financial situation about FFP, but unfortunately, they're in french. If you master french, let me know, I'll gladly do.

Sustainable business models :facepalm:
Real was built thanks to public money.
Barca made loans with ridiculous rates (that common people would never get).
United gets a fat Chevrolet sponsorship that is all but fake.
:clap: to your sustainable model.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know why you say you're not a PSG fan so much; you cheer for them and get very happy when they're doing well.

With that said I don't see any problem with what they did.

Barcelona are just making themselves look worse and worse. Thanking Coutinho for all of his efforts? Good lord.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I cheer for Monaco too. Am I a Monaco fan? I cheer for Lyon too? Am I a Lyon fan?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well I cheer for Monaco too. Am I a Monaco fan? I cheer for Lyon too? Am I a Lyon fan?

Well I mean, overall I think it's more apt to say you're a fan of French football. PSG are included in that even though there are some French teams you don't like. Similar to how I feel about Dutch football and how I generally cheer for all those teams in Europe and so on.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Two different situations for two very different clubs... and why is this turning into a "competition"?

As a Arsenal fan, we got toyed by ownership and Wenger for the past decade now. We've been promised this, that and the other and as of today, we're still waiting. We've had teams that needed one or two legit players, players that were actually for sale, who would've turned us from pretenders to contenders. Ownership has been talking about investing 150M to 180M every summer in those ****ing warechests they keep bragging about and every year, they buy above average players at a average price and they end up flopping.

Granted, we did get a couple of big fishes plus Lacazette but with the ********* that is going on now and will probably end at the same time next year, I really don't know what and who the identity of this club will be. Is Wenger really going to be given carte Blanche to sign his guys when he'll have one year left on his deal, meaning that his eventual replacement might want a shot at a clean slate instead of getting a squad he didn't pick.

Losing both Sanchez and Ozil with nothing to show for it would bordeline cripple this team. It wouldn't be good on the pitch (obviously) but I think it'll hurt off the field even more. Who in their right mind would want to join this train wreck. Signing a gambreaking player when he won't know if he'll have the same coach/system the following year is gonna be a hard sell.

All I'm saying is that we've been jerked around in the past but I think this window takes the cake.

Cripple is an interesting word to use, especially with Özil when a decent sized portion of the fan base think he's completely unreliable and lazy.

Now I don't fall into group, but I'm also not sure really what to do with him either in terms of how to set a team up pretty much built around him because I'm not sure it works given the CM's that are used.

But to touch on the reports of "warchests" and what whatever obscene amount of money we have for transfers in past - that never came from the club and all it did unnecessarily rile up Arsenal fans (even more so). I can't directly link it to a few of the big money transfers that have gone south over the last 12-18 months, but the theme of " spend some ****ing money" that so gracefully rang around the emirates a few times must have come from somewhere. Subsequent to that, they did spend on some big transfers and I'm not sure it was in the right positions or on the right players.

What I'd like to see Arsenal and Arsene do (for however long he remains) is get back to doing what he did best and that's finding/signing young players just before they take off. That requires a little more calculation and a lot more bravery than what's being displayed now because you may end up having to pay between 5-10 million for a kid who's not played much or any senior football (Dortmund as an example) - but when you contrast that with 50+ million between Perez and Mustafi not in the first team/out on loan it doesn't seem that bad at all really.

The best example of that kind of deal this summer is Pablo Fornals from Malaga to Vilarreal for 12 million. Now even as the biggest Wenger supporter not currently hiding in some kind of a bomb shelter, that's the kind of transfer that he/they need to be all over and even if the kid doesn't pan out, relatively it not that big of a hit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Frankly, there's only OM I don't like and I cheer for them in Europe. I'm totally a "french football" fan, so a NT fan.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wth is this something you go out and say on an official press conference?

"We thank the player for the efforts he made, because he did make a big effort and showed he wanted to play for us."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/4..._the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Meh, people are making too much of this. They would have said that had he signed. On top of that we already know he was tapped up, but that's pretty common nowadays.

Liverpool is denying that 200M claim, another lie from Barto and co. that won't be perpetuated as they'd hope.

While I'm not saying I believe them, it could very well be the case they said 200 million. It benefits Liverpool to say it's false even if it isn't because it maintains the stance they took all Summer. That said both clubs were stupid during that entire negotiation process.

:facepalm:
I'm no PSG fan, but it's quite obvous to see the truth. You prefer to look the other way, perfectly fine, you're a Bayern fan. That's what they do, just like with Hoeness.

Mind, you, the FFP is about being OK over 5 years. So yeah, it's so obvious there's absolutely no problem it's laughable.
I could link you to dozens of articles that go in depth about PSG's financial situation about FFP, but unfortunately, they're in french. If you master french, let me know, I'll gladly do.

Sustainable business models :facepalm:
Real was built thanks to public money.
Barca made loans with ridiculous rates (that common people would never get).
United gets a fat Chevrolet sponsorship that is all but fake.
:clap: to your sustainable model.

Barça made loans, as a lot of clubs have, and have actually been paying the money back. This isn't a free check from someone that they may never have to pay back.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes Barca are paying the money back.
In a full economic crisis in Spain, spanish banks loaned crazy money to Barca at interesting rates that no worker could have.

So please, let's not adopt the "my team's money is cleaner than yours". Barca who's getting money from Qatar Airways too.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes Barca are paying the money back.
In a full economic crisis in Spain, spanish banks loaned crazy money to Barca at interesting rates that no worker could have.

So please, let's not adopt the "my team's money is cleaner than yours". Barca who's getting money from Qatar Airways too.

Who said anything about "cleaner money"? Not the point at all. Besides, that's your game assuming it suits you. As for the loans, the vast majority of their loans if not all of them were from before the crisis and it would make sense that they get better rates considering the money involved.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, it makes sense to take money from workers in banks to finance a football team at better rates than workers themselves. In a capitalist world with absolutely no ethics.

Anyway, it's not the political board, we should focus on soccer and transfers, since this is the transfer thread after all.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh and in case some had doubts about the old boys club, Javier Tebas has filed demands to UEFA to investigate PSG and City for this summer mercato.

What a clown.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sure, it makes sense to take money from workers in banks to finance a football team at better rates than workers themselves. In a capitalist world with absolutely no ethics.

Anyway, it's not the political board, we should focus on soccer and transfers, since this is the transfer thread after all.

I wasn't commenting on the ethics but rather the business approach.

Also, to the best of my knowledge Barça are no longer getting money from Qatar Airways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->