2017 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
They need a left back. I think they should focus more on depth. Their starting 11 is good.

I think Klopp is satisfied with Milner.

For next season if Liverpool are serious about contending they would need as a priority a CB and a winger. A DM and GK would be luxury but I don't see them spending too much on these positions.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I think Klopp is satisfied with Milner.

For next season if Liverpool are serious about contending they would need as a priority a CB and a winger. A DM and GK would be luxury but I don't see them spending too much on these positions.

Is there a team in England that has dropped more points due to **** goaltending than Liverpool in the last little bit?

Yeah Klopp, please don't improve the GK situation.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Mignolet's only cost Liverpool points once this season. I'm the first to pile on a bad keeper but he's made some good saves this season. Club could do better but he's had an overall positive impact this season. It's probably not a big deal if they get a keeper or not.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Is there a team in England that has dropped more points due to **** goaltending than Liverpool in the last little bit?

Yeah Klopp, please don't improve the GK situation.

Manchester City says hello. Bravo was horrible.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think Mignolet's only cost Liverpool points once this season. I'm the first to pile on a bad keeper but he's made some good saves this season. Club could do better but he's had an overall positive impact this season. It's probably not a big deal if they get a keeper or not.
I agree putting Mignolet under pressure with Kariuse helped him reach another level.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Bravo has probably been better than Hart this season. Don't know how many of you guys have watched Hart in Turin, but yeah. Really really awful.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Of the top teams this year City is really the only one who had poor play from their keeper.

Cech's been less than his usual self, but still very solid. Cortois, De Gea, and Lloris have been what is expected.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Inter and Atalanta games were laughable performances. It wouldn't have made any difference this season for City to have Hart or Bravo.

Maybe, maybe not. Hart has performed well with Manchester City in the past, and may have continued to do so if they kept him. Pep jettisoned him without even giving him a chance.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe, maybe not. Hart has performed well with Manchester City in the past, and may have continued to do so if they kept him. Pep jettisoned him without even giving him a chance.

Bravo performed well with Barcelona in the past too...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bravo performed well with Barcelona in the past too...

Yes of course, but he moved clubs and leagues from Barcelona to City. My point was that keeping Hart at City where he has performed well in the past would have more likely than not resulted in him continuing to perform well. Same with Bravo, maybe if he were still at Barcelona he would have performed well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He's been good at City but also been bad. His inconsistencies always kept him from being the best goalie in the league, which he absolutely could be. I totally get where Pep was coming from and wanting to upgrade in goal because you never know if you're getting world class world class Hart or shocker Hart. Hindsight is 20/20 though with Bravo as he has been downright abysmal this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Hart was playing the same role Pep had Bravo and Caballero play, he would have been a lot worse. The question is obviously whether or not Pep can use the same tactics if he doesn't have a keeper with the kind of feet that Valdes and Neuer had/have. It's not exactly easy to find one of those players.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Hart was playing the same role Pep had Bravo and Caballero play, he would have been a lot worse. The question is obviously whether or not Pep can use the same tactics if he doesn't have a keeper with the kind of feet that Valdes and Neuer had/have. It's not exactly easy to find one of those players.

I agree, but call me crazy I'd prefer a goalie that can keep the ball out of his net not one that's good with his feet. I mean working around a goalie with poor technical abilities can't be that hard.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes of course, but he moved clubs and leagues from Barcelona to City. My point was that keeping Hart at City where he has performed well in the past would have more likely than not resulted in him continuing to perform well. Same with Bravo, maybe if he were still at Barcelona he would have performed well.

If you look at his performance with Chile, I would probably say he's on the decline.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I agree, but call me crazy I'd prefer a goalie that can keep the ball out of his net not one that's good with his feet. I mean working around a goalie with poor technical abilities can't be that hard.

Yeah, but it's not about that. He would have to change everything about a tactical setup that's worked everywhere else he went. Without a keeper who knows when to come out and kick the ball, they can't play the same high line, have to change the way the team lines up when the keeper kicks the ball, the outlets the keeper has, and all their buildup play. They would also have to have taller, less technical players higher up the pitch in order to win headers. They'll try at least one more keeper before he scraps the system and does something else, which would cost a lot more money to implement.

Every piece in any modern tactical system is very important. Pep's is particularly complex, so it isn't surprising that a position like goalkeeper has to have a certain kind of player in it. Trying to do it with Bravo was actually very cheap and imprudent. That signing is going to have to cost a lot of money.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Caballero however isn't very good with his feet. But he saved City's ass making saves plenty of times.
In the end, with the failed Bravo experiment, Pep went back to Caballero who indeed could at least saves some goals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Caballero however isn't very good with his feet. But he saved City's ass making saves plenty of times.
In the end, with the failed Bravo experiment, Pep went back to Caballero who indeed could at least saves some goals.

- He's better than Hart tho plus at that point Pep couldn't have gone out and acquired another goalie.

- Not really an experiment as Bravo was considered a great keeper before this year. An experiment would imply some radical new idea. Like changing a a players position. Pep just went out in "upgraded" the GK position.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well he didn't upgrade it since he went back to the bakcup from before the deal.
As for Caballero being better than Hart, do you mean with his feet or overall?
With his feet marginally better, as a whole I think there's a reason Hart was starting over him for years.

Pepe failed with that transfer, the same way he failed buying Stones for 50+M€.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well he didn't upgrade it since he went back to the bakcup from before the deal.
As for Caballero being better than Hart, do you mean with his feet or overall?
With his feet marginally better, as a whole I think there's a reason Hart was starting over him for years.

Pepe failed with that transfer, the same way he failed buying Stones for 50+M€.

Pretty much how I see it as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fact is, if Pep wants to buy a keeper with great feet it's going to cost at least 30-40m. Not only because the keeper has to be that good but because any club that knows City is coming for their keeper knows to ask for a ton of money.

33 year old Bravo for 17 million was dumb. It was a blatant attempt to save money instead of buy a top keeper and hope it worked out. 30 year old Bravo was a great keeper, but a player that gets older is going to become less athletic. He's small for a goalkeeper so once his athleticism leaves, he can't really save anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad