2017 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
In you idea of a food chain, Arsenal is definitely a feeder club on some level.

At the level of BVB. I mean it's freaking easy to slot us there. We bought Xhaka from Gladbach. If Bayern wanted Sanchez or Özil, they could probably get them. It's such a dumb argument for SEPH to make

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Özil.
Definitely not. He has been the same inconsistent self that wasn't cutting it to remain with Real, and showing up half the time for Arsenal isn't pushing him to a bigger club.

Bellerin.
Maybe, just maybe, because the full back market is so bleak. But what he's shown for most of this season isn't screaming "elite club", either.

Koscielny.
I'll give you him.

The point absolutely stands. Dortmund had these guys that were clearly moving up. Arsenal hasn't had many guys that were worthy of feeding the relatively few teams at the next level.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Özil. Bellerin. Koscielny. don't be dumb just to try to make a point.

Koscielny isn't in the same tier and Ozil has already done the real thing; while Bayern n barca didn't have a spot for him.

Bellerin is viable counter point but some bigger club will take him from Arsenal soon as well. Pointing him out is like pointing to Aubamayeng.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Anyways. BMG seem to be taking a serious run at signing Amiri away from Hoffenheim. The kid's a tremendous talent, but he's not as polished as Demirbay or Grillitsch; there's a lot of vets that wouldn't do to badly if called upon in Rupp / Schwegler / Polanski; and with Geiger soon making the jump to the pro level...on top of signings we don't yet know about...the minutes in that TSG midfield could get really tight. Plus it remains to be seen if Nagelsmann has Hoffenheim taking a big step, or if they're just having a dream season before cratering back down to where they were when he took over; as unlikely as that may be. With just 1 year left on his contract TSG could well just take the 15M for him, if negotiations on an extension aren't going smoothly.

With BMG he'd be a dream replacement for Dahoud, meaning major minutes & a major role, as well as getting to learn from Kramer / Raffael / Stindl about the ways of elegant football. And BMG look likely to play in the EL next season, even if that's not the CL that Hoffenheim look poised to qualify for.

Grifo & Amiri would do much to address my concerns with their midfield in a post-Dahoud world; especially if Benes / Sow / Ndenge start breaking into the senior side with some consistency next year and/or Dorsch gets brought in as well. Though a Christensen replacement would likely still be necessary; and I'd like to see their attacking depth improved.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you're not Real, Barca, United and maybe Bayern, you're a feeder club. Or potentially a feeder club.

PSG might not fit in that profile, as they've got stupid money, but if Real came a calling and said we want X player, they're probably going to get them. Chelsea to an extent aren't, because they're winning the premiership and have shown they'll spend what it takes to keep players in wages. However, once again, if Real or Barca came and said, we want X player, odds are they're making the move.

To think that Arsenal isn't above that (with the current manager and owners) is just not looking at facts. Sure, they're able to go out and buy a lot of good players, and they're able to pick up players from a lot of different places. However, at it's core, they're still going to be funneling players to Real or Barca if they want them. That's the reality of football. It just so happens that they haven't had anyone good enough (though I think you might see one or two in the next summer or so)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd say PSG has rejected plenty of inquiries for someone like Verratti and Marquinhos.
But if they don't reach a CL final soon, they're bound to lose those guys. Maybe as soon as this summer.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Right. But at some point in the future, if they don't win those matches, or if Real decides to break the bank, they'll do it.

It's hard to turn down the prestige of one of the top 3 clubs in the world.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes indeed as I said. If they don't show they belong to the top 4, these guys will leave, big salary or not.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Anyways. BMG seem to be taking a serious run at signing Amiri away from Hoffenheim. The kid's a tremendous talent, but he's not as polished as Demirbay or Grillitsch; there's a lot of vets that wouldn't do to badly if called upon in Rupp / Schwegler / Polanski; and with Geiger soon making the jump to the pro level...on top of signings we don't yet know about...the minutes in that TSG midfield could get really tight. Plus it remains to be seen if Nagelsmann has Hoffenheim taking a big step, or if they're just having a dream season before cratering back down to where they were when he took over; as unlikely as that may be. With just 1 year left on his contract TSG could well just take the 15M for him, if negotiations on an extension aren't going smoothly.

With BMG he'd be a dream replacement for Dahoud, meaning major minutes & a major role, as well as getting to learn from Kramer / Raffael / Stindl about the ways of elegant football. And BMG look likely to play in the EL next season, even if that's not the CL that Hoffenheim look poised to qualify for.

Grifo & Amiri would do much to address my concerns with their midfield in a post-Dahoud world; especially if Benes / Sow / Ndenge start breaking into the senior side with some consistency next year and/or Dorsch gets brought in as well. Though a Christensen replacement would likely still be necessary; and I'd like to see their attacking depth improved.

I really hope Amiri won't leave for Gladbach of all clubs if Hoffenheim make the CL. I fail to see how that would make sense for him, unless Gladbach is offering a lot more money (which I'm not sure they can). Hopefully Hoffenheim can stay as intact as possible, and they only lose Rudy and Süle.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
To the surprise of no one except a handful of Liverpool supporters, Bild is reporting that Bayern will buy Brandt for ~€30M.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
With the Dahoud fiasco I ain't surprised.

Watch Naby Keita follow him at Bayern.

"fiasco"

I'd be surprised if Keita goes to Bayern this summer. Thiago is having himself quite a year, and their central midfield is pretty stacked otherwise too. Maybe once he has knocked another year or two off his contract and they wouldn't need to pay as much. As it stands, they don't need to and therefore probably won't pay the huge fee that Leipzig would surely ask for this summer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No idea what PSG will/can do next summer.
Don't see them attract big targets with Emery at the helm (see the Ben Arfa/Krychowiak treatment), and I could see multiple player trying to force a move out (Ben Arfa, Pastore, Verratti, Di Maria, Rabiot, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, maybe Cavani).
If they get a major coach like Simeone or something of this tier, then money should be enough to keep everyone and buy some more.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would PSG let him go? Barça should go after Davinson or keep status quo while they wait for Yerry Mina.

Read what Evilo said. He could force a move. Also, they have Kimpembe who they might want to get more minutes, so they might be okay with selling him.

Barcelona needs to stop going for potential, and needs to start buying more known quantity, which Marquinhos is. He'd instantly improve their CB position.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
No idea what PSG will/can do next summer.
Don't see them attract big targets with Emery at the helm (see the Ben Arfa/Krychowiak treatment), and I could see multiple player trying to force a move out (Ben Arfa, Pastore, Verratti, Di Maria, Rabiot, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, maybe Cavani).
If they get a major coach like Simeone or something of this tier, then money should be enough to keep everyone and buy some more.

Of these guys, I'd like to keep Verratti, Rabiot, Marquinhos and Cavani. After the UCL's fiasco, they need some roster turnover. Would add Lucas to this list as he's quite stagnated at PSG. He could use a move and the team could use an upgrade. Same with Matuidi, they've better midfielders than him and he's too good to ride the bench.

Read what Evilo said. He could force a move. Also, they have Kimpembe who they might want to get more minutes, so they might be okay with selling him.

Barcelona needs to stop going for potential, and needs to start buying more known quantity, which Marquinhos is. He'd instantly improve their CB position.

If that's the case, I think they would rather sell Thiago Silva who's already 32. Plus, he's been under some serious criticism from the French media.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really hope Amiri won't leave for Gladbach of all clubs if Hoffenheim make the CL. I fail to see how that would make sense for him, unless Gladbach is offering a lot more money (which I'm not sure they can). Hopefully Hoffenheim can stay as intact as possible, and they only lose Rudy and Süle.

Though I agree with you and would rather Amiri extend with TSG while BMG got Koziello; but Amiri seems to have no interest in extending with hoppenheim. In which case I'd rather see him play for BMG than a lot of other teams he could land with like Liverpool or Leverkusen

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Barca's priorities for the summer window are a RB and a top midfielder, doubt there will be enough leftover to bring in a Marquinhos. Might buy back Deulofeu as well.
Maybe China still has that big offer on the table for Turan..

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think Barca's happy with Umtiti and indeed has other priorities, especially in midfield.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If that's the case, I think they would rather sell Thiago Silva who's already 32. Plus, he's been under some serious criticism from the French media.

Which is ridiculous. He's been excellent this year.
But everytime PSG disappoints, it's his fault because he's the captain. :rolleyes:
Meanwhile in that return leg, Trapp, Kurzawa, Marquinhos, Rabiot and others were absolutely amateurish.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Which is ridiculous. He's been excellent this year.
But everytime PSG disappoints, it's his fault because he's the captain. :rolleyes:
Meanwhile in that return leg, Trapp, Kurzawa, Marquinhos, Rabiot and others were absolutely amateurish.

Yup. Rabiot played through injury, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->