2017 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With the Dahoud fiasco I ain't surprised.

Watch Naby Keita follow him at Bayern.

It's only a fiasco if you deluded yourself into thinking LFC had a better chance of signing Mo than BVB did. Which you were warned about repeatedly.

"fiasco"

I'd be surprised if Keita goes to Bayern this summer. Thiago is having himself quite a year, and their central midfield is pretty stacked otherwise too. Maybe once he has knocked another year or two off his contract and they wouldn't need to pay as much. As it stands, they don't need to and therefore probably won't pay the huge fee that Leipzig would surely ask for this summer.

With Thiago, Sanches & Kimmich as well as old man Vidal and utility man Rudy; Bayern are unlikely to have a clear need for Keita in the near future. So it's tough seeing them paying what RB should demand any time soon. A Lahm replacement I can see them splurge for, Brandt at that price makes perfect sense, some super talented midfield prospects would be smart; but I just don't see too great a fit with Keita.

Him I can actually see going to Liverpool; though maybe that's just because it's hard not to ascribe a mercenery mindset to all players that come up through the Red Bull system, and it isn't too hard to see LFC get desperate enough to make the kind of bid Leipzig would have to consider.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Some minor talk about Liverpool being interested in Max Meyer. By the look of it hasn't had a good season.

He hasn't. The team's style is poorly suited to him. It would still be a good move though if Liverpool need more attacking depth imo.

Him I can actually see going to Liverpool; though maybe that's just because it's hard not to ascribe a mercenery mindset to all players that come up through the Red Bull system, and it isn't too hard to see LFC get desperate enough to make the kind of bid Leipzig would have to consider.

I mean, I don't know if he was infected or anything. RB bought him for 1.5M so I doubt he was given mammoth wages to begin with. You sometimes called Brandt a mercenary but he will probably choose Bayern, too.

I don't know if Bayern will pursue him this summer, but I imagine that some clubs with more money than Liverpool (PSG? Barca? City?) might.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No idea what PSG will/can do next summer.
Don't see them attract big targets with Emery at the helm (see the Ben Arfa/Krychowiak treatment), and I could see multiple player trying to force a move out (Ben Arfa, Pastore, Verratti, Di Maria, Rabiot, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, maybe Cavani).
If they get a major coach like Simeone or something of this tier, then money should be enough to keep everyone and buy some more.

I'm just grateful that Emery seems to be a fan of Draxler's and Julian seems to be responding well at his new club...though this may have more to do with him finally being pushed at giant club in a way he never could be as the best player and biggest talent at Schalke or Wolfsburg.

With the way he played in France last summer, it seems like he just really needed that move to a bigger club to push him back in track. If Eggestein recovers well his ceiling is still even higher, playing under Pep should be huge for Sane, Gnabry's been on absolute fire since going to the olympics, and despite an unspectacular season I still love Brandt's craftiness; but Draxler breaking out of his stagnation (like Werner has with Red Bull) is a wonderful development for the NT as we start relying on more and more players from the post Ozil / Mueller / Reus / Stindl / Schurrle generation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Draxler is clearly someone who can't carry the offense. He's much better when he doesn't carry the ball.
His play off the ball is really nice and he calls the ball extremely well into space. His movement is really top notch.
So with players around him who carry the play, who create danger with their passes, Draxler can maximize his talents.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He hasn't. The team's style is poorly suited to him. It would still be a good move though if Liverpool need more attacking depth imo.

I mean, I don't know if he was infected or anything. RB bought him for 1.5M so I doubt he was given mammoth wages to begin with. You sometimes called Brandt a mercenary but he will probably choose Bayern, too.

I don't know if Bayern will pursue him this summer, but I imagine that some clubs with more money than Liverpool (PSG? Barca? City?) might.

Brandt is a mercenery, the difference to me looks like it would be Bayern's interest. With Robbery fading they need another young attacker (or two) to join CoCo, Lewa & Mueller. While their midfield is going to remain stacked once they're rid of Xabi...even without moving Alaba back to the 8.

Dahoud is the one who's attitude I meant to put in contrast with Keita's. Mo has very articulately spoken about how long term focused his career plan is; which is why picking Tuchel & BVB was such a predictable next step for him. So LFC swooping in and convincing him to make a bad career move for the money seems a lot more likely with a Keita or Goretzka.

I can see bigger teams than LFC going after Keita; but I'm not sold that he'd fit Pep too well, and if he isn't ready to warm the bench for a bit then the Spanish giants wouldn't really be options either. Maybe PSG would fit if they saw a serious exodus this summer, but without multiple departures I don't think he'd see enough minutes not to stagnate a bit.

LFC seems like the exact right level of stupid money, available PT to a player at his level, and schematic fit.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Draxler is clearly someone who can't carry the offense. He's much better when he doesn't carry the ball.
His play off the ball is really nice and he calls the ball extremely well into space. His movement is really top notch.
So with players around him who carry the play, who create danger with their passes, Draxler can maximize his talents.

Yeah. He had the talent to create moment of magic out of nothing, but he was only ever sporadically effective for Schalke when everything flowed through him. This is why I was comparing him to RvP when most Germans were arguing that he should play the 10 instead of the wing.

Fortunately having creatives who can deliver deadly passes or play 1-2s with him; doesn't seem like it'll be an issue for the NT anytime soon...especially now that we've produced some dynamic dribblers on the wings who can force things to happen when there isn't space to just pass teams to death.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No idea what PSG will/can do next summer.
Don't see them attract big targets with Emery at the helm (see the Ben Arfa/Krychowiak treatment), and I could see multiple player trying to force a move out (Ben Arfa, Pastore, Verratti, Di Maria, Rabiot, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, maybe Cavani).

If they get a major coach like Simeone or something of this tier, then money should be enough to keep everyone and buy some more.

I have to Pastore would be an interesting option for Barça with Iniesta getting older. The concern I would have is that his own track record has been spotty with injuries, especially of late. His contract situation is ripe for a move or a renewal.

You didn't mention Aurier. He's obviously had his issues with the Blanc situation and with Meunier getting a lot of playing time. I would think he might be another candidate.

I would think they'd have to come to some sort of decision on Cavani as his contract is up in a year. I'm sure there would be no shortage of suitors either. I could see him at Chelsea.

Barcelona needs to stop going for potential, and needs to start buying more known quantity, which Marquinhos is. He'd instantly improve their CB position.

If be improving the "CB position" you mean depth at CB, I'd agree. If you meant as a member of the starting XI then I'd say that's highly debatable. Umtiti has been good and Marquinhos wouldn't be a sure bet improvement over him.

That said I'd welcome Marquinhos, at the right price. While IMO a little inconsistent, I think he's got a lot of good qualities that you want in a CB for Barça. He's also still quite young, still pretty clearly one of the best young CBs out there and has a ton of top level experience already. He'd also be an option for a three man back line.

Barca's priorities for the summer window are a RB and a top midfielder, doubt there will be enough leftover to bring in a Marquinhos. Might buy back Deulofeu as well.
Maybe China still has that big offer on the table for Turan..

I'd love to see Deulofeu get a shot. A move back might probably isn't the best move for him though. He's doing well at Milan. Had he been given a shot a few years ago things might look different now. Still it's tough not to take up the option if they clear out enough dead wood. It's just somewhat tough to speculate since we don't know who the next manager will be.

China? From your post to God's eyes.

I think Barca's happy with Umtiti and indeed has other priorities, especially in midfield.

Like I said, Marquinhos at the right price would have to be a consideration. Mascherano can focus on midfield and we could jettison Mathieu. Still from your list I just wonder if Thiago Silva wouldn't be an option. Obviously they've been down that road before. I think he's got a couple of years left, but considering his contract situation I'm not sure he'd want to move and PSG would still ask for more than enough.

Actually Madrid comes to mind. Otamendi was a headline I read, but I could see them moving for the likes of Thiago Silva.

At the end of the day I really don't see Thiago Silva leaving though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have to Pastore would be an interesting option for Barça with Iniesta getting older. The concern I would have is that his own track record has been spotty with injuries, especially of late. His contract situation is ripe for a move or a renewal.

You didn't mention Aurier. He's obviously had his issues with the Blanc situation and with Meunier getting a lot of playing time. I would think he might be another candidate.

I would think they'd have to come to some sort of decision on Cavani as his contract is up in a year. I'm sure there would be no shortage of suitors either. I could see him at Chelsea.

Like I said, Marquinhos at the right price would have to be a consideration. Mascherano can focus on midfield and we could jettison Mathieu. Still from your list I just wonder if Thiago Silva wouldn't be an option. Obviously they've been down that road before. I think he's got a couple of years left, but considering his contract situation I'm not sure he'd want to move and PSG would still ask for more than enough.

Actually Madrid comes to mind. Otamendi was a headline I read, but I could see them moving for the likes of Thiago Silva.

At the end of the day I really don't see Thiago Silva leaving though.

Aurier too indeed. Areola might move to. Emery has managed to create so much havoc in the roster it's not funny. He signed guys he didn't use (Kry, Jese, Guedes, Lo Celso), he alienated starters that had high quality before he messed with their confidence (Areola, Aurier), trusted guys who didn't deliver (Di Maria, Lucas) while ignoring players that never had a chance (HBA, Augustin).
His player management has been absolutely terrible.

Right price for Marquinhos would be extremely expensive.
Don't think TS moves either, but you never know.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Aurier too indeed. Areola might move to. Emery has managed to create so much havoc in the roster it's not funny. He signed guys he didn't use (Kry, Jese, Guedes, Lo Celso), he alienated starters that had high quality before he messed with their confidence (Areola, Aurier), trusted guys who didn't deliver (Di Maria, Lucas) while ignoring players that never had a chance (HBA, Augustin).
His player management has been absolutely terrible.

Right price for Marquinhos would be extremely expensive.
Don't think TS moves either, but you never know.

Don't disagree with the job Emery's done, but can you really lay the Lo Celso signing at his feet?

I would reckon Marquinhos is 50-60 million?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not using Lo Celso, even in Cup games, even in late blowouts, etc... is absolutely criminal. Same for Augustin actually.

Yes 60M€ would seem right.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If be improving the "CB position" you mean depth at CB, I'd agree. If you meant as a member of the starting XI then I'd say that's highly debatable. Umtiti has been good and Marquinhos wouldn't be a sure bet improvement over him.

That said I'd welcome Marquinhos, at the right price. While IMO a little inconsistent, I think he's got a lot of good qualities that you want in a CB for Barça. He's also still quite young, still pretty clearly one of the best young CBs out there and has a ton of top level experience already. He'd also be an option for a three man back line.

I could understand why you may not want to overpay for Marquinhos if he's not a huge improvement over Umtiti, but I think he's definitely at least an improvement over Umtiti to anyone, and someone like me who's a big fan of his game, I think he's much better than Umtiti. Still, Umtiti is good, but I think Marquinhos is more in the mold of a potential WC center-back eventually, while I don't think Umtiti will be WC. I actually don't think Marquinhos is that far off WC at this point. He's been improving a lot from the games I've watched.

Either way, you guys need CB depth, and Mathieu types aren't what you need, so Barcelona will probably need to spend money on a CB.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not using Lo Celso, even in Cup games, even in late blowouts, etc... is absolutely criminal. Same for Augustin actually.

Yes 60M€ would seem right.

That's probably the case, but I was referring specifically to his transfer. Was it an Emery transfer or down to the sporting director?

I could understand why you may not want to overpay for Marquinhos if he's not a huge improvement over Umtiti, but I think he's definitely at least an improvement over Umtiti to anyone, and someone like me who's a big fan of his game, I think he's much better than Umtiti. Still, Umtiti is good, but I think Marquinhos is more in the mold of a potential WC center-back eventually, while I don't think Umtiti will be WC. I actually don't think Marquinhos is that far off WC at this point. He's been improving a lot from the games I've watched.

Either way, you guys need CB depth, and Mathieu types aren't what you need, so Barcelona will probably need to spend money on a CB.

That's just it though, I'd say that as of right now based on this season's form it's difficult to say he's an improvement. I think Marquinhos is definitely more well rounded and has the potential to be the better of the two.

I agree. I'd definitely welcome a player of Marquinhos' caliber, but there are more pressing needs at the moment. Besides, I really don't see Marquinhos leaving. All due respect to Evilo I think he's overstating the case a bit here as regards players looking to leave. That said it's fun to speculate.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think players want to leave. But El Khelaifi will be tough to convince.

As for Lo Celso I have no idea who signed him, but since they didn't have any sporting director then :D
In any case, he could have loaned him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think players want to leave. But El Khelaifi will be tough to convince.

As for Lo Celso I have no idea who signed him, but since they didn't have any sporting director then :D
In any case, he could have loaned him.

:laugh: Of course it could have been in the works prior.

Or he could have played him as you noted. I'm fully on board with the criticism of the job Emery has done.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
LFC should have some stupid money, but I don't know that they're going to be spend it stupidly.

They're going to need 3 or 4 players of a better class than they've bought in the past if they do make the CL. That won't come cheap.

Brandt's agent seems to say that a move to Bayern might be premature. Though I think that's a translation of come and get me, or they better up the wage packet.

Note, most rational LFC supporters realize they're not going to outbid or outmatch Dortmund, Bayern or teams with prestige (Barca/Real) or money they can't match, well or both with some of them. Most of the links to German players who are available are due to Klopp more so than any particular chance they'll get the player.

That said, some of the players might make a better choice in going to Liverpool than being the 4th or 5th option at the places they end up. But that's another story.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
A 22 year old football player being chased by Liverpool and Real Madrid (or whatever) won´t 99 out of 100 times go to Liverpool just because he is more likely to play. That guy is in most cases so full of confidence that he believes that he can make it at RM (and of course some do - so why not "me"?).

I think Liverpool did well this summer with Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip. If the club can pull off something similar come summer Liverpool will have a very very strong squad. History tells us they won´t be able to though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
A 22 year old football player being chased by Liverpool and Real Madrid (or whatever) won´t 99 out of 100 times go to Liverpool just because he is more likely to play. That guy is in most cases so full of confidence that he believes that he can make it at RM (and of course some do - so why not "me"?).

I think Liverpool did well this summer with Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip. If the club can pull off something similar come summer Liverpool will have a very very strong squad. History tells us they won´t be able to though.

Oh, I agree that odds are they're taking the Real offer. Though admittedly, they're getting paid double wages at Real than they would be at Liverpool. that's as much of the issue than a player taking more playing time.

I guess my point is more, what is better for their career? I think that's up for debate.

Picking Real or Barca over Liverpool is not.

As for your second point, can they have a similar summer as last season?

I would say yes. The track record isn't there completely, but Klopp does have some eye for picking players who are going to fit what he wants to do. He justifiably does not get most of the credit with Dortmund, but he's at least pretty good at putting players in positions to succeed and knowing what he needs to do the job.

It's going to be a difficult summer, but if they have a CL spot (a big if that is certainly up in the air), there should be 120-130 million to spend. Maybe even more if they clear out some of the extras (Sakho, Markovic, Sturridge, Lucas [low value, decent wage], Moreno, probably Ings and a few other big pieces). It will be interesting just what is the priority on the list, but I'd expect to see a few hefty purchases.

Of their buys this summer, most of them worked out pretty well (or were cheap and they won't lose money). They're not going to hit on everything, but they should have more money to try to do some solid buys, along with some talent coming through their academy again.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's going to be a difficult summer, but if they have a CL spot (a big if that is certainly up in the air), there should be 120-130 million to spend. Maybe even more if they clear out some of the extras (Sakho, Markovic, Sturridge, Lucas [low value, decent wage], Moreno, probably Ings and a few other big pieces). It will be interesting just what is the priority on the list, but I'd expect to see a few hefty purchases.

Getting to 3rd versus 4th is the key to really unlocking the transfer chest. 3rd guarantees you a group spot ahead of time which means the 13m euro for being in the group, plus the 1.5m for a win and 500k for a draw, plus the probably 20-25m for the market pool.

Finishing 4th leaves all that in question if they drop a qualification game. Losing a qualification game means you earn 3M euro, instead of ~35-45M for simply showing up in the group stage.

Is it possible they risk it and assume they'll win the qualifier? Maybe, but recent history leans against that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Getting to 3rd versus 4th is the key to really unlocking the transfer chest. 3rd guarantees you a group spot ahead of time which means the 13m euro for being in the group, plus the 1.5m for a win and 500k for a draw, plus the probably 20-25m for the market pool.

Finishing 4th leaves all that in question if they drop a qualification game. Losing a qualification game means you earn 3M euro, instead of ~35-45M for simply showing up in the group stage.

Is it possible they risk it and assume they'll win the qualifier? Maybe, but recent history leans against that.

I would think they're assuming they win the qualifier. Sure, there will be a few dangerous draws, but I also think Klopp and his record in tournaments knows how to get a squad ready to do it.

He should also have most of the summer to prepare his side, along with minimal travel for the summer tour. I also don't think most of the players are playing in summer tournaments this year.

As for the money in the transfer fund, much of that is pre-CL earnings. They've spent basically what they've earned from sales, along basically skipping both Winter windows, so they should have the budget to go out and buy.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I would think they're assuming they win the qualifier. Sure, there will be a few dangerous draws, but I also think Klopp and his record in tournaments knows how to get a squad ready to do it.

He should also have most of the summer to prepare his side, along with minimal travel for the summer tour. I also don't think most of the players are playing in summer tournaments this year.

As for the money in the transfer fund, much of that is pre-CL earnings. They've spent basically what they've earned from sales, along basically skipping both Winter windows, so they should have the budget to go out and buy.

Oh they certainly *should* have the money to spend. The last 3 years on net they've spent 83M on net, which is good for only 11th highest in England.

A club of their stature should be able to outlay 150M if they really wanted to. But that's the key, *if* they/Klopp want to.

Recent history just doesn't put them at club willing to outlay that much cash without having a source to recoup it. It's possible they do, I just wouldn't bet on it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is they actually need targets worth the money that will be willing to come to Liverpool, and that would actually improve the team. Those players don't grow on trees and Klopp believes in promoting from within so we'll see. I'm not expecting a huge summer, but 2 big signings would be ideal. Probably a prolific striker and a midfielder. Maybe a defender also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad