Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Plenty of rumors in the past weeks of Barça players heading for the exit

Liverpool has been in for Digne multiple times in the past. Maybe they look again having lost their top target at LB (again)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Rashford score 12 goals in all comps this year in 52 games, although nearly half of those were sub appearances. For minutes played he played between 1/2 and 2/3 of the minutes you'd expect him to play if he was the #1 striker.

If he played as a #1 all season long it wouldn't have been crazy to see him net 20 times in all comps, so 10-15 goal scorer seems way low.

Being under Zlatan this year I think helped his development a ton, at the end of the year he was far more willing to use his strength to win balls and showed he was surprisingly strong on his feet when he wanted to be. He also has a really high soccer IQ, frequently making great runs even if nothing comes of them. Given him a few years to mature, learn when to take certain shots and I see no reason he couldn't net 30-35 in all comps.

I really like your optimism and hope that you are right :cheers:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Re: the EPL transfer budgets. **** China. They ****ed over every other top English team outside of Chelsea by coughing up close to 100 million Euros for Oscar and Ramires.

A United fan complaining about other clubs inflating the market. Oh dear.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Can we stop with this China nonsense, EPL teams have truckloads of cash, the transfer fees would still be this high for them even without China. The teams at the top actually have competition in spending, so the owners can't just pocket all the profits, and the mid-table teams can now actually buy some quality players.

Man U has virtually endless funds, so they shouldn't be whining.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
A United fan complaining about other clubs inflating the market. Oh dear.

Delicious Irony is Delicious

Can we stop with this China nonsense, EPL teams have truckloads of cash, the transfer fees would still be this high for them even without China. The teams at the top actually have competition in spending, so the owners can't just pocket all the profits, and the mid-table teams can now actually buy some quality players.

Man U has virtually endless funds, so they shouldn't be whining.

I mean it all from a competitive standpoint. Chelsea has lots of cash to improve their already PL championship side, so it will be harder for United, Arsenal, Spurs, and City to keep pace in the league with them now.

Show me where I was crying poor anywhere in my posts. Truck loads of money only go so far. As I've seen as a United supporter with van Gaal and with year one of Mourinho, close to half a billion in transfer fees hasn't gotten United any league titles. It's how you use the funds.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I mean it all from a competitive standpoint. Chelsea has lots of cash to improve their already PL championship side, so it will be harder for United, Arsenal, Spurs, and City to keep pace in the league with them now.

Show me where I was crying poor anywhere in my posts. Truck loads of money only go so far. As I've seen as a United supporter with van Gaal and with year one of Mourinho, close to half a billion in transfer fees hasn't gotten United any league titles. It's how you use the funds.

United overpaid for pretty much all their players and gave them massive contracts. They've raised the bar for what a club is expected to pay for a good player and their wages. Along with City, they're the biggest culprit in inflated prices. Not Chelsea, who haven't spent over €40M on a single fee since Torres 7 years ago.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Man City have done a lot more for inflating transfer fees by spending until amounts of money on ***** like Mangala and Fernando. Throwing it about in the hope they end up with something worthwhile. It's worse when they do it for English players like Sterling or Stones.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
United overpaid for pretty much all their players and gave them massive contracts. They've raised the bar for what a club is expected to pay for a good player and their wages. Along with City, they're the biggest culprit in inflated prices. Not Chelsea, who haven't spent over €40M on a single fee since Torres 7 years ago.

This is like a serial murder gloating about he hasn't killed somebody in 7 years.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Now we're seeing Mendy being linked with United. In a vacuum he's a great buy, but what happens to Luke Shaw? He's been injury prone, but there's definitely still potential there. United need a center back more. I don't think I can watch another game of Daley Blind as a center back.

Shaw has potential, but is seldom fit enough to fulfill that potential. We can't wait around till that happens. When he's off injured, we're starting square pegs in round holes at the LB position to get by. We can't get don't have an established LB at the club, and that's why it's imperative we get a guy like Mendy. It could mean the end for Shaw based on Jose's opinion of him but Mendy's a good prospect too at only 22. Lots to like there.

I don't think Blind's that bad. The only CB we're getting linked to now is Michael Keane and honestly, I'd rather have Blind and hope Rojo gets fit asap. A holding midfielder (Fabinho), LB (Mendy), right winger (?) and striker (Griezmann) are more pressing needs IMO.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
-Saw that Casillas was linked with Liverpool and now it's PSG. Would laugh if he ends up at either club.

-On a related note, Areola linked with Chelsea after Begovic sale. If he's willing to go to Chelsea then I'd love to see Barça take a punt if the price is right.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Casillas definitely won't be at Liverpool. Sounds like they will keep Ward to be third goalkeeper and there's no way Mignolet is being replaced after a mistake free last season.

If he really wants to play in England he'll be playing for some team like Brighton.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2009
I doubt it is. They're kids who are going to be 16 and so they can earn far more money moving to England. They can't get those sorts of wages or that sort of contract in Spain until they're 18. Cucurella and Mbouma are different cases though. Their respective contracts are just up. I'll be furious if Cucurella leaves.

I'd love to see that as well. Not sure it will matter though because it doesn't sound like he's interested in China. I'd love for the club to break even on that transfer, but I'd settle for a loss as well.

My biggest concern is who the club target to buy, specifically around the CM position.

Agree 100 percent with your CM concerns.To bad Varretti isn't a possibility like you said in the previous thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Arsenal is going to put in a 20 million pound bid for Mario Lemina from Juve.

- Arsenal also going to try and get Danilo from Madrid, only if Bellerin wants to go back to Barca. Which I don't believe to be the case, Hector has openly stated before the season's end he wouldn't have signed a new contract if he wanted a move out of England.

- Arsenal are thinking about putting in a 30 million pound for Corentin Tolisso, which is said he is unhappy at Olympique Lyon. Might cost more, but more realistic if he wants a demand out.

- Apart of Arsenal's desire to rejuvenate their midfield are two other targets in Pablo Fornals and Thomas Lemar.

All are CM's, some specialize in CDM and others as CAM.

- Lastly, Ospina wants to move to a club where he can play and Butland is rumoured to replace him.

- Wenger, the cancer is expected to announce a two-year extension later this week.

All of this is taken from The Guardian who is one of the very few non-click bait newspapers out there. Let the raiding of Monaco begin!

Kaveh Solhekol ✔ @SkyKaveh
Arsenal have agreed £6.8m fee with Belgian club KAS Eupen for Nigerian striker Henry Onyekuru.
Personal terms not agreed yet

Gonna be loaned somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h7jzf9KNO0
Wenger going to Wenger as it's what an Arsenalian thing to do. Buy players and then flip them out on a loan.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
The Solanke transfer is a nice little low risk buy for Liverpool. He carved up a few seasons back, but was never really given any first team opportunities (surprise surprise) seems like he was overtaken in the youth striker pecking order by Abraham

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yea, Mourinho's comments on Shaw's work ethic is a huge red flag moving forward. Some managers might be inclined to work with players, help them get better and develop necesssary work. Mourinho is not that at all, he'll call a spade a spade and if you don't impress him you can leave.

Sure it's possible for Shaw to come back and be the Luke Shaw United thought they were signing (before injuries and form) but until that actually happens I'd put it high on the list of needed upgrades behind only striker and CB.

Mourinho commented on Shaw's work ethic before he played the 90 minutes plus etxra time in the EL, despite having cramps. He won him over with that performance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rashford score 12 goals in all comps this year in 52 games, although nearly half of those were sub appearances. For minutes played he played between 1/2 and 2/3 of the minutes you'd expect him to play if he was the #1 striker.

If he played as a #1 all season long it wouldn't have been crazy to see him net 20 times in all comps, so 10-15 goal scorer seems way low.

Being under Zlatan this year I think helped his development a ton, at the end of the year he was far more willing to use his strength to win balls and showed he was surprisingly strong on his feet when he wanted to be. He also has a really high soccer IQ, frequently making great runs even if nothing comes of them. Given him a few years to mature, learn when to take certain shots and I see no reason he couldn't net 30-35 in all comps.

When he fills out/gets some muscle on that lanky body and improves his decision making and passing, he'll be a force to reckon with.

The thing with Rooney is that he's been wanting to move to a midfield role later in his career and since it's becoming more apparent that his numerous ankle injuries have taken away his speed too much, that's where he could have a role. Healthy summer, trains properly, arrives fit at training camp...maybe see what shape he is in before the transfer window closes.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Onyekuru looks like a nice signing from that video. Low risk, high reward at that price. Arsenal should look for more players in that bracket of players rather than spend time pursuing the likes of Mbappe, Griezmann, (O) Dembele, and such. He isn't an immediate Sanchez replacement though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Onyekuru looks like a nice signing from that video. Low risk, high reward at that price. Arsenal should look for more players in that bracket of players rather than spend time pursuing the likes of Mbappe, Griezmann, (O) Dembele, and such. He isn't an immediate Sanchez replacement though.

Yeah, he's nifty as f***. BMG was linked to him over the winter and he'd have been a lovely player to polish behind Raffael & Traore.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Kid needs to learn to use his teammates more. Honestly why do soccer players seem to play more selfishly than most other athletes? Genuinely curious.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kid needs to learn to use his teammates more. Honestly why do soccer players seem to play more selfishly than most other athletes? Genuinely curious.

IDK. From that video, it looked like most of the time there were two opposing players between him and his closest teammate, and a pass to a teammate who wasn't in a better position to score probably wasn't worth the risk. He made a few nice passes in the video, too, when the opportunity presented itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad