Transfer: 2017 Summer Transfer Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Because some of them are a lot better than their teammates.

I mean I understand that to a degree, but you tend to see a lot more soccer players try to score themselves on say a 2v1 or 3v1 (there was even a 4v1 in that highlight video) than other sports. It just seems like the opposite of conventional wisdom in sports such as hockey or basketball. Maybe not the best example, but if LeBron is on a fastbreak with one of his teammates 2v1, he's going to draw the defender and pass it for an open layup/shot 90% of the time.

Edit: and it's not just this kid obviously. I think you tend to see forwards just be selfish in general.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
IDK. From that video, it looked like most of the time there were two opposing players between him and his closest teammate, and a pass to a teammate who wasn't in a better position to score probably wasn't worth the risk. He made a few nice passes in the video, too, when the opportunity presented itself.

You can't learn a single thing about a player from a youtube clip... better off not watching it, only for entrainment purposes.

I mean I understand that to a degree, but you tend to see a lot more soccer players try to score themselves on say a 2v1 or 3v1 (there was even a 4v1 in that highlight video) than other sports. It just seems like the opposite of conventional wisdom in sports such as hockey or basketball. Maybe not the best example, but if LeBron is on a fastbreak with one of his teammates 2v1, he's going to draw the defender and pass it for an open layup/shot 90% of the time.

It's because those type of players, the fast wingers that can dribble a few yards have ZERO soccer IQ. They get aroused by beating a defender or two and lose all vision. Argentina is littered with those types of ****** footballers. This is because coaching at the grass roots is abysmal.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Edit: and it's not just this kid obviously. I think you tend to see forwards just be selfish in general.

It's also largely because of what's at stake. No disrespect to this kid's former club, but there's a way to get to bigger clubs and it isn't by playing team football.

Also, a lot of players put their heads down because they don't have the technical ability to dribble while looking up. As such they just don't see anything.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

In my experience, the most selfish amateur hockey, football, and basketball players get weeded out and don't make it to the next level. There certainly weren't many 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 situations in that video, either. A lot of him dribbling outnumbered and still creating a decent chance.

You can't learn a single thing about a player from a youtube clip... better off not watching it, only for entrainment purposes.

Disagree. You can learn a fair amount. Not everything, obviously.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

In soccer, as an attacker, you are taught to be selfish with the ball. Growing up passing was emphasized except when you are in a position that you can score. Also it's much more likely that the one with the ball will score than the pass hitting AND the other person scoring. I guess it all depends on the situation but most attackers trust themselves most because they know their abilities.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Most players are afraid to lose the ball while dribbling. Losing the ball from a failed pass is far more accepted. This leaves only the most confident and skilled dribblers. Sometimes they're overconfident, of course. Mostly fans tend to think that losing the ball while trying to dribble out of a hopeless situation is worse than missing a pass, though. Even though both have a similar result.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
In my experience, the most selfish amateur hockey, football, and basketball players get weeded out and don't make it to the next level. There certainly weren't many 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 situations in that video, either. A lot of him dribbling outnumbered and still creating a decent chance.

Disagree. You can learn a fair amount. Not everything, obviously.

There weren't too many of those 2v1's or 3v1's, but still a few. And there was a 4v1 where he dribbled at and past the last defender which truly made me have to say something. It was an otherwise impressive highlight video, don't get me wrong.

In soccer, as an attacker, you are taught to be selfish with the ball. Growing up passing was emphasized except when you are in a position that you can score. Also it's much more likely that the one with the ball will score than the pass hitting AND the other person scoring. I guess it all depends on the situation but most attackers trust themselves most because they know their abilities.

I never played growing up, so I'm just not familiar. I just feel like other sports teach that making the pass is the "right play" in most situations, and that may be over-taught to a fault.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Things you can judge or things you can't? A lot of aspects of play never make it into highlight videos, but you can certainly learn from the plays and type of plays included in the videos a fair amount about their technical ability and decision-making.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Things you can judge or things you can't? A lot of aspects of play never make it into highlight videos, but you can certainly learn from the plays and type of plays included in the videos a fair amount about their technical ability and decision-making.

Things you can.

What good is a highlight reel when all they'll show you is a player at his best?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Things you can.

What good is a highlight reel when all they'll show you is a player at his best?

They don't just show players at their best. You can see a lot of flaws in players from compilations or "vs [opponent]" type videos. I've seen far worse highlight videos from hyped players than the one linked above.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
United overpaid for pretty much all their players and gave them massive contracts. They've raised the bar for what a club is expected to pay for a good player and their wages. Along with City, they're the biggest culprit in inflated prices. Not Chelsea, who haven't spent over €40M on a single fee since Torres 7 years ago.

There was a time where Chelsea overpaid double the price for players (Drogba, Essien, etc...).
So they do fall under that category too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Things you can.

Some teams have video making fans who show both the good and the bad. Every touch, every foul, every wasted chance, etc.

I don't think you can judge any defender or midfielder by these videos. Also, opposition has to be taken into account.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
There was a time where Chelsea overpaid double the price for players (Drogba, Essien, etc...).
So they do fall under that category too.

Yes, but for now, City and United are clearly above them in that respect.

Some teams have video making fans who show both the good and the bad. Every touch, every foul, every wasted chance, etc.

I don't think you can judge any defender or midfielder by these videos. Also, opposition has to be taken into account.

You can tell a lot about defenders and midfielders as well. It's certainly not exhaustive, but you can learn about their habits and weaknesses. I prefer the "vs. [opponent]" type videos, though those aren't perfect either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You can tell a lot about defenders and midfielders as well. It's certainly not exhaustive, but you can learn about their habits and weaknesses. I prefer the "vs. [opponent]" type videos, though those aren't perfect either.

Central defenders at least at first glance are a lot more difficult. Not that I needed them to know he's class, but they make van Dijk look like one of the best defenders in history.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Central defenders at least at first glance are a lot more difficult. Not that I needed them to know he's class, but they make van Dijk look like one of the best defenders in history.

Yeah, videos of central defenders are clearly worse than videos of midfielders. I've seen some helpful ones, too, though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The problem is that the further back a player plays, the more we value their being mistake-free nearly all the time. Whereas with the offensive player, we expect their actions to lead to a change of possession or anything other than a goal more often than not, and a few great plays can make a player's talent clearer. That's why we demand a more complete picture of goalkeepers and defenders than of attackers.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yahoo Sports France is reporting that Aubameyang has come to a deal with PSG. They're expected to pay around €70M.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hey, Juve seem to be better than ever after spending a truckload of money on Higuain when they already had Dybala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->