WJC: 2017 Russia Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Urakov has been the biggest surprise for me so far. He and Trenin look perfect for a 3-rd line.

Sergachyov finally showed his trademark confidence in last game.

Meanwhile Volkov, Yurtaikin and Sukhachyov are still hurt and didn't participate in latest practice.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Apparently he has ruined himself playing in the CHL vs staying and playing at home. Similar to Provorov I would think.

Like so many other Russian players, it was the CHL that ruined Segachyov. Somebody ruined him, and where has he been for the past 2 years?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Urakov has been the biggest surprise for me so far. He and Trenin look perfect for a 3-rd line.

Sergachyov finally showed his trademark confidence in last game.

Meanwhile Volkov, Yurtaikin and Sukhachyov are still hurt and didn't participate in latest practice.

The loss of Volkov and Yurtaikin in particular hurts. Hopefully, Sukhachov won't be needed.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Why exactly are you tired of his 'winning' hockey? All the typical shortfalls are the result of Russian hockey school system, Bragin is actually quiet flexible in style of play, for example this tourney how game plan is much simpler of just get in on net, compared to 2012 when it was very combinational hockey with good playmakers.

The situation doesn't look great going into the QF's, but Bragin's teams have been 1 goal away from a Gold Medal in every tournament that he has coached. Not ready to get off the horse yet!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zborovskiy wasn't that good the first few games, but I really like how he's playing the last two games. I think the improved play of him, Sergachyov, Sidorov, Voronkov, Dronov and Rykov's continued good play along with Samsonov is why the Russian defense has been really good the last few games. I think it'll be good enough to keep Russia in the game against the USA.

Kudako has been awful playing with Sergachyov, which I think is part of why Sergachyov has been criticized a lot. Some of it is not Sergachyov's fault. If Volkov doesn't come back, I'd move Zborovskiy up, move Sergachyov back to the left side, and then pair Dronov and Voronkov as the third pairing. Kudako should be the 7th defenseman. I thought he would've been a good pick, but he's turned into a bad pick for this team.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, Kudako has been a liability, can't even guess what to do with him. :shakehead

Trenin is a tank, at least at the attack. :yo: Liked Voronkov-Zborovskiy pairing too. Kvartalnov and his line finally showed some signs of life.

Deleted member 55113

It has been reported that Rubtsov might miss the semifinal, but Yurtaikin, Volkov and Sukhachyov might be back though.

What exactly happened to Rubtsov? I noticed he wasn't on the bench the rest of the game after the high stick.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I'm sorry if this has been mentionned before but can anyone tell me why Vitali Abramov wasn't picked for this Russian team? He's currently in the top 5 scoring in the Q.As someone who goes to quite a few of Gatineau's home games I can tell you that Abramov is definately the better player between him and Trenin

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I'm sorry if this has been mentionned before but can anyone tell me why Vitali Abramov wasn't picked for this Russian team? He's currently in the top 5 scoring in the Q.As someone who goes to quite a few of Gatineau's home games I can tell you that Abramov is definately the better player between him and Trenin

He heated up only recently, he was bad at Canada-Russia series, he's underaged, he's undersized, he's a winger. Trenin fills an important role - he wins faceoffs, PKs and provides net-front presence.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
He heated up only recently, he was bad at Canada-Russia series, he's underaged, he's undersized, he's a winger. Trenin fills an important role - he wins faceoffs, PKs and provides net-front presence.

Trenin is big but plays far from a big man's game.He's basically playing a finesse game most of the time.I understand from the defensive side of things,like you said he can kill penalties and is a good player that can win you some draws.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yurtaikin was practicing today; Rubtsov, Volkov and Sukhachyov were not.

Rubtsov should have a great future, but as of January 4, I think Yurtaikin has been more active and more dangerous in creating scoring chances. I think it would be good to get him back if he is somewhat recovered.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
:popcorn: Some nerd statistics I came up with while comparing previous tournaments this evening before the upcoming game between Russia - USA:

:amazed: Russia and USA have played each other in the playoffs for the past three World Junior Championships, two quarter finals and one semifinal.
:naughty: Russia has won all of them, in two out of three games USA have had the lead by one goal.
:sarcasm: During both of the times that the teams have faced each other in the quarter finals Russia has finished 3rd in their group, while USA finished at 2nd place during all of the three competitions (Russia finishing 1st the one time they played in the semifinals).
:nod: The upcoming match will be the first time they have played each other already at an earlier stage of the tournament, being either in different groups or not being able to due to change in the tournament format.

- USA has always had a better goal difference than Russia during all of the three previous tournament group stages as well as this years.
(USA has during these events always had more goals scored as well as having conceded less than Russia, year by year, except for in 2014 when they had both scored 21 goals)
- USA has faced Canada during the group stage in each of the previous three tournaments as well as this years, having lost the two first while winning the two last (and those years they have won has so far taken USA to the semifinals).

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Rubtsov should have a great future, but as of January 4, I think Yurtaikin has been more active and more dangerous in creating scoring chances. I think it would be good to get him back if he is somewhat recovered.

I think getting Yurtaikin back should improve our offense, but I kind of liked Rubtsov at the own end and on the PK at least in recent games.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Hi guys - relatively new to Kaprizov, hadn't seen much of him prior to WJC. Just hoping some guys who watch him more regularly can shed some light into his skillset.

Obviously his shot and release are absolutely fantastic - deceptive, powerful, lightning quick and accurate.

My question has to do with his vision and playmaking ability. Is this an area he also is high end at, or is he primarily a goal scorer and simply average in this other area?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone willing to offer some insight.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
:popcorn: Some nerd statistics I came up with while comparing previous tournaments this evening before the upcoming game between Russia - USA:

:amazed: Russia and USA have played each other in the playoffs for the past three World Junior Championships, two quarter finals and one semifinal.
:naughty: Russia has won all of them, in two out of three games USA have had the lead by one goal.
:sarcasm: During both of the times that the teams have faced each other in the quarter finals Russia has finished 3rd in their group, while USA finished at 2nd place during all of the three competitions (Russia finishing 1st the one time they played in the semifinals).
:nod: The upcoming match will be the first time they have played each other already at an earlier stage of the tournament, being either in different groups or not being able to due to change in the tournament format.

- USA has always had a better goal difference than Russia during all of the three previous tournament group stages as well as this years.
(USA has during these events always had more goals scored as well as having conceded less than Russia, year by year, except for in 2014 when they had both scored 21 goals)
- USA has faced Canada during the group stage in each of the previous three tournaments as well as this years, having lost the two first while winning the two last (and those years they have won has so far taken USA to the semifinals).

Why bother playing? :laugh: I am still interested in this year's game

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Not a bad effort, but still... 0-3 against top competitors. I think Bragin did his best, but they weren't talented enough to win gold even if they lucked out and beat the US in the semi.

I am quite pleased about some individual players. Kaprizov, Vorobiev, even Guryanov after today. They have good potential. Sergachev did okay for an 18 year old. Mixed feelings about Samsonov. Too funky and unpredictable, poor five hole. The first goal was atrocious.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Will be cheering hard against Canada tonight due to the attitudes of their fans in the game thread.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Will be cheering hard against Canada tonight due to the attitudes of their fans in the game thread.

A shame considering Canadian fans overwhelmingly cheered for Russia in this tournament, particularly against the US.

I guess that was a wasted effort on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad