WJC: 2017 Russia Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Overall I feel like there is potential in this team, but there are a ton of mistakes to be corrected which can be done. The main worry remains scoring, just lacking typical talent depth in forward group.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:facepalm: Trenin and Kaurnakhov, defies all logic.

Trenin wins faceoffs. Karnaukhov - Kavrtalnov - Guryanov is the 2nd line for now. Nothing defies logic here.

After game thoughts. Without the mistakes and homie reffing the team, has potential in this tournament.

If they meet Canada again they will have to beat the refs too. The refs are doing the same perfide thing over and over and over again now. Handing out weird calls agins Russia until Canada scores some PP goals, then "give back" by handing out some calls to Canada. It is obvously much harder to come from behind after the refs have broken the game already. I still want an explanation what Sergachev's penalty was. Being on the ice?

Some shots at the team.

Samsonov was shaky all game long. One save on the breakawy is not enough to make up for giving up tons of rebounds, being uneasy with the puck, mishandling the puck every time he got out of the crease. That is not the touted prospect that was advetrised to us.

The 3rd canadian goal was scored while all 5 russian skaters were standing watching. This just can't happen in a tournament like that.

Too many giveaways and careless plays. Refusing to hit a guy going one on one. If you lose the puck at least hit the guy so he can't get posession.

Atrocious last 4 minutes. You don't give up 2 goals down with 4 minutes to go.

On a positive note:

Kaprizov is alright, Just needs to get more comfortable and get used to less space.

Vorobiev surprisingly winning his personal faceoff duel.

Urakov being a warrior on PK and on the boards. Promote him to help the offence with some dirty work!

But that's about it. All other guys need to step up. Tonight is a good chance to get something going against Latvia.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Trenin wins faceoffs. Karnaukhov - Kavrtalnov - Guryanov is the 2nd line for now. Nothing defies logic here.

After game thoughts. Without the mistakes and homie reffing the team, has potential in this tournament.

If they meet Canada again they will have to beat the refs too. The refs are doing the same perfide thing over and over and over again now. Handing out weird calls agins Russia until Canada scores some PP goals, then "give back" by handing out some calls to Canada. It is obvously much harder to come from behind after the refs have broken the game already. I still want an explanation what Sergachev's penalty was. Being on the ice?

Some shots at the team.

Samsonov was shaky all game long. One save on the breakawy is not enough to make up for giving up tons of rebounds, being uneasy with the puck, mishandling the puck every time he got out of the crease. That is not the touted prospect that was advetrised to us.

The 3rd canadian goal was scored while all 5 russian skaters were standing watching. This just can't happen in a tournament like that.

Too many giveaways and careless plays. Refusing to hit a guy going one on one. If you lose the puck at least hit the guy so he can't get posession.

Atrocious last 4 minutes. You don't give up 2 goals down with 4 minutes to go.

On a positive note:

Kaprizov is alright, Just needs to get more comfortable and get used to less space.

Vorobiev surprisingly winning his personal faceoff duel.

Urakov being a warrior on PK and on the boards. Promote him to help the offence with some dirty work!

But that's about it. All other guys need to step up. Tonight is a good chance to get something going against Latvia.

I totally agree about the reffing, but we're just going to have to accept it, because almost all of the future WJC's will either be held in Canada or in Buffalo, which is literally right across the Canadian border. In 2011, in Buffalo, when Canada and the USA met, approximately 97% of the fans in attendance were wearing red Canadian jerseys. I'm sure Rene Fasel has about 30 or 40 million accumulated in his personal bank account in exchange for making certain that Canada has home ice advantage, and cashes in on the financial bonanza every year. The fact is, crowds intimidate referees, especially Canadian crowds, so that is an advantage that Canada can put in the bank every year.

I thought the forwards had some good moments last night, although only Belyayev and Yurtaikin were willing to attack the goal and accept the physical punishment that comes with it. The defense was absolutely awful! A lot of people thought that the defense would be our strength, but the defense last night was dazed and confused, out of position, physically passive and almost helpless to clear the puck out of the zone. Defensive zone coverage is something that can be fixed to some degree in the short term, but it better be fast. Failure to beat the United States probably means 3rd place, which will mean facing the 2nd seed in the other group in the QF's.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I totally agree about the reffing, but we're just going to have to accept it, because almost all of the future WJC's will either be held in Canada or in Buffalo, which is literally right across the Canadian border. In 2011, in Buffalo, when Canada and the USA met, approximately 97% of the fans in attendance were wearing red Canadian jerseys. I'm sure Rene Fasel has about 30 or 40 million accumulated in his personal bank account in exchange for making certain that Canada has home ice advantage, and cashes in on the financial bonanza every year. The fact is, crowds intimidate referees, especially Canadian crowds, so that is an advantage that Canada can put in the bank every year.

I thought the forwards had some good moments last night, although only Belyayev and Yurtaikin were willing to attack the goal and accept the physical punishment that comes with it. The defense was absolutely awful! A lot of people thought that the defense would be our strength, but the defense last night was dazed and confused, out of position, physically passive and almost helpless to clear the puck out of the zone. Defensive zone coverage is something that can be fixed to some degree in the short term, but it better be fast. Failure to beat the United States probably means 3rd place, which will mean facing the 2nd seed in the other group in the QF's.

To be honest, other than Sweden there's no team in the other group that I'd worry about.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There is no doubt that home ice advantage is a huge advantage to Canada. Inequalities like this are the natural result of capitalism, and this tournament is now a huge cash cow for the North Americans. But Russia has to be better before I worry about this much.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Lol about officials. We played terrible and would have deserved the defeat, even if officials had sent off half of the team.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Post is out to lunch. Karnaukhov has been abysmal all the way through the super series and into this tournament and does not deserve the power play what so ever, disgusting. Trenin should also be nowhere near the power play either. Never said anything about the other guys, was complaining about 2 players who shouldnt be good enough to be on any teams power play in this tournament, dont know what your talking about

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Happy to see Trenin getting more playing time hes the type of player you need to beat the power houses in Canada, USA, Sweden.

Still wished they took Abramov as well but it is what it is. Fun game to watch really hope USA and Russia face off again!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Happy to see Trenin getting more playing time hes the type of player you need to beat the power houses in Canada, USA, Sweden.

Still wished they took Abramov as well but it is what it is. Fun game to watch really hope USA and Russia face off again!

I think Bragin should have taken someone like Abramov or Korostelev as the 13th forward.

Don't know why this team needs 8 defensemen.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Post is out to lunch. Karnaukhov has been abysmal all the way through the super series and into this tournament and does not deserve the power play what so ever, disgusting. Trenin should also be nowhere near the power play either. Never said anything about the other guys, was complaining about 2 players who shouldnt be good enough to be on any teams power play in this tournament, dont know what your talking about

Your misunderstanding of what logic is is what is out to lunch here. There is logic to those decisions by Bragin. That doesn't mean this logic can't be corrected by actual game performance. Bragin already make some changes.

As for PP units, who on this roster after 3 games deserves a spot on th 2nd PP unit?

That's this team's problem. Everybody outside the top line is playing bad. I don't see any of that 1st round pick talent from Guryanov or Rubtsov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Samsonov was in a beast mode.

Jeeez, you people are blind. Samsonov is this team's biggest problem so far. Making circus saves after he created chances for the other team all by himself is not beast mode. He gives up dangerous rebounds on nearly every shot he faces, he couldn't cover the puck if his life depended on it it seems, his play outside the crease is just weird to say the least and he did cost the team this game giving up the 3rd goal. He also doesn't seem to have the frequency of his defencemen. They seem to neverknow what he is going to do. Right now this guy is not this team's starter. He got better in the second half of the game, but who cares after he was responsible for the team being down by 2?

I seriously start to believe all the hype was not justified.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Jeeez, you people are blind. Samsonov is this team's biggest problem so far. Making circus saves after he created chances for the other team all by himself is not beast mode. He gives up dangerous rebounds on nearly every shot he faces, he couldn't cover the puck if his life depended on it it seems, his play outside the crease is just weird to say the least and he did cost the team this game giving up the 3rd goal. He also doesn't seem to have the frequency of his defencemen. They seem to neverknow what he is going to do. Right now this guy is not this team's starter. He got better in the second half of the game, but who cares after he was responsible for the team being down by 2?

I seriously start to believe all the hype was not justified.

1-st goal - possibly, but he had to do something after Kvartalnov (?) lost his man.
2-nd goal - definitely nothing that he could do.
3-rd goal - also don't understand where he could be blamed.

And yes, Samsonov has kept Russia in the game something like 5 times at least, also with the help of the 'circus' saves. Not to mention that he has to play behind this kind of D.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think the main issue currently is that we have no 2-nd line and having issues on the D.

Kvartalnov's line is no 2-nd line - more like 4-th line to me, Trenin's line is good, but only as a 3-rd line. Possibly Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Guryanov could be a solution?

At D, we realy need Sergachyov to step up and do it now. Also hope Volkov recovers soon (he got hurt Vs. Latvia if I remember correctly, but it didn't look too bad) - not like he would be great, but at least he wasn't as bad as Kudako. Update: Volkov got a cold.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I think the main issue currently is that we have no 2-nd line and having issues on the D.

Kvartalnov's line is no 2-nd line - more like 4-th line to me, Trenin's line is good, but only as a 3-rd line. Possibly Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Guryanov could be a solution?

At D, we realy need Sergachyov to step up and do it now. Also hope Volkov recovers soon (he got hurt Vs. Latvia if I remember correctly, but it didn't look too bad) - not like he would be great, but at least he wasn't as bad as Kudako. Update: Volkov got a cold.
Well said, no 2nd line. Simply said - we need more horsepower to compete with elite. Almost all 10 teams can field 1 good line. It's always been Russia's strength that we've had guys like nichushkin playing on 4th lines..

I'll never forget that year when we had kuznetsov with with gusev, kucherov, yakupov, grigorenko, namestnikov, tkachev, shalunov, telegin, Kosova.. this team doesn't seem close

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bragin in a post-game interview: "I think we will now gather the best guys in top 3 lines and 4-th will be a defensive/PK line". So looks like we're going back to the classic Bragin's 'model'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad