Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Aapeli Rasanen is going to be a bottom 6 center imo. I'm confident he'll be an NHLer, but I'm probably his biggest fan on these boards.

I liked him in the WJC showcase but I still think he's a longshot. It's a real weak spot in the Oilers system IMO.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Aapeli Rasanen is going to be a bottom 6 center imo. I'm confident he'll be an NHLer, but I'm probably his biggest fan on these boards.

I think I'm right up there with you. Big believer in his upside, has NHL size, and does all the little things right.

Won't ever be a big scorer but I think he has 3C written all over him.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I liked him in the WJC showcase but I still think he's a longshot. It's a real weak spot in the Oilers system IMO.

It's a weak spot yes, but at the same time there's not going to be an opening in the top 6 center slots for the next 8 years minimum. I like managements approach this year in taking highly skilled wingers who can potentially slot into the top 6 for a few years on ELCs/2nd contracts, because that's what's going to be needed in the future. 3/4Cs can be found in free agency a lot easier than those slots imo.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think I'm right up there with you. Big believer in his upside, has NHL size, and does all the little things right.

To put things in perspective tho... He reminds me of a Anton Lander light.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Anton Lander was right on the verge of being a good NHL depth center. In fact he had a season as doing that. He missed the NHL ladder by like 2 inches. Thats after several seasons on horrible teams with development being totally messed (remember when Lander was a 4c as rookie for 50+ games in the middle of Eager and Petrell?

If Rasanen can develop into a very good AHL center and level Lander topped out at 2/3 years ago, id be very pleased with that. Not forsure Rasasen woud be able to make that jump Lander failed to, but hed have better odds at doing so because the team is overall much better

Lander will always be the "what could have been prospect". I believe he lacked certain qualities to be a full time NHLer, but I think that we also blew his development when he first came over and a large reason he failed to develop those skills. When people say a prospect is another Lander Id actually be pleased if that came true. Lander developed pretty much exactly how you want a depth prospect too, just missed that one final ingediant to be an NHLer

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anton Lander was right on the verge of being a good NHL depth center. In fact he had a season as doing that. He missed the NHL ladder by like 2 inches. Thats after several seasons on horrible teams with development being totally messed (remember when Lander was a 4c as rookie for 50+ games in the middle of Eager and Petrell?

If Rasanen can develop into a very good AHL center and level Lander topped out at 2/3 years ago, id be very pleased with that. Not forsure Rasasen woud be able to make that jump Lander failed to, but hed have better odds at doing so because the team is overall much better

Lander will always be the "what could have been prospect". I believe he lacked certain qualities to be a full time NHLer, but I think that we also blew his development when he first came over and a large reason he failed to develop those skills. When people say a prospect is another Lander Id actually be pleased if that came true. Lander developed pretty much exactly how you want a depth prospect too, just missed that one final ingediant to be an NHLer

I would agree with all that except the bolded.

I was shocked Lander didn't become at least a 3C in the NHL let alone a 4C. The only thing I can think of that truly set him back was skating, but I never really heard it was an issue that "should" hold him back. But the point remains he didn't make it and it's very safe to say Lander was higher rated.

Edit: Some of this is just my skepticism for any Oiler Pick outside of the first round. Do we even have a second or later round pick that we drafted and is currently on the team? Petry and Marincin are the only 2 that came to mind that actually played a bit for the Oil.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would agree with all that except the bolded.

I was shocked Lander didn't become at least a 3C in the NHL let alone a 4C. The only thing I can think of that truly set him back was skating, but I never really heard it was an issue that "should" hold him back. But the point remains he didn't make it and it's very safe to say Lander was higher rated.

Edit: Some of this is just my skepticism for any Oiler Pick outside of the first round. Do we even have a second or later rounder that we drafted and is currently on the team? Petry and Marincin are the only 2 that came to mind that actually played a bit for the Oil.

Id say Rasanen and Lander were pretty bang on in draft +1 years. Both were main stays on their WJC and junior international teams with similar enough production. Neither dominated their leagues but both were solid

I can somewhat agree with the bolded. It is true Oilers were horrible with depth picks in the past but I see it as Oilers just made really, really dumb picks even on draft day. They picked numerous obvious busts like Abney, Hesketh, Bigos, Knytar etc. Depth picks are essentially pure luck because 90% of them are indistinguishable (due to them being massive ?s at 17/18). But Oilers went out of their way to simply pick the obvious busts that would never turn out. The Marincins/Reiders/Petrys/Pitlicks/Hamiltons/Landers/Omarks/Davidsons etc were all solid bets and some made it and some didnt. Issue is we didnt pick enough from the pool of similar prospects.

In the past 3 drafts ive 1 or 2 maybe bad picks from the obvious bust pool and thats with 7th round picks. I see Rasanen and the others as coming from the Reider/Lander/Omark pool. Maybe a 20% chance to make it, but still a chance

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I always enjoy watching this tourny. I'm interested to see how Yamamoto, Safin and Maximov look.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I assume the RHD Khaira that we invited is Jujhar's brother? What's his skating like?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Rasanen I think could get to the NHL--but I do not see it being with the OIlers--he is heading to Boston collage for at least 2 years but he says he might do the full four. My gut tells me wont be with the oilers. I saw him play a few times and the Lander light comment is correct(IMO)--but from the games I saw Ras lacks the hockey IQ of Lander--If Lander had a little more speed he would have been like thomas steen. But right now Ras leaves me wanting--maybe in 2 to 4 years--he will have matured in his game. European players take longer to adapt to the North American game

Bob Green was also saying Yamamoto will be battling for a roster spot this year and don't bet against someone with that kind of skill.

I just hope that unless he is going to be a top 6 contributor for the team they send him down after 9. Need to save that ELC. I think this kid is going to be great in a few years.

Green is also the guy behind why we gave up so much for Reinhart. Yamamoto should be nowhere near the this line up for 3 to 4 years--I know I am in the minority there. He is compared to Tyler Johnson and Johnson did not get to the NHL till 22. He need to get developed slowly to when he gets to the NHL he will be both physically and mentally ready

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yamamoto is much more talented than Johnson was at the same age.

Johnson was .5 ppg in the WHL in his draft year (went undrafted)... whereas Yamamoto was 1.5 ppg in the WHL in his draft year.

I would go so far as to say that Yamamoto is an elite top 3 talent in his draft and is underrated if anything.

He'll be a regular on the Oilers in 1 year imo. I'd actually be surprised if he isn't. Only injuries would likely derail him... which is possible for any player... not just those with a smaller stature.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Johnson was .5 ppg in the WHL in his draft year (went undrafted)... whereas Yamamoto was 1.5 pp in the WHL in his draft year.

I would go so far as to say that Yamamoto is an elite top 3 talent in his draft and is underrated if anything.

He'll be a regular on the Oilers in 1 year imo. I'd actually be surprised if he isn't. Only injuries would likely derail him... which is possible for any player... not just those with a smaller stature.

I suspect that Yamamoto is a better skater too. Yeah, I kinda think the same thing, though I expect him to start in the AHL before getting the call and sticking with the Oilers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I suspect that Yamamoto is a better skater too. Yeah, I kinda think the same thing, though I expect him to start in the AHL before getting the call and sticking with the Oilers.

That's my thinking as well. By the end of the 18/19 season he'll force his way into the lineup and be a solid contributor. Optimistically... even sooner.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

Johnson was .5 ppg in the WHL in his draft year (went undrafted)... whereas Yamamoto was 1.5 ppg in the WHL in his draft year.

Agreed, kid is just dynamite. Skating, IQ, grittiness, the only knock you can have on him is size. 3-4inches bigger and he would be top 3 in the draft IMO.

He is making the team in 2018/2019.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's my thinking as well. By the end of the 18/19 season he'll force his way into the lineup and be a solid contributor. Optimistically... even sooner.

Honestly, I almost expect him to get a 9 game look on the RW with Lucic and Drasaitl (perfect fit imo), but it will truly depend on what he does in camp.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
My hope is that he pushes Slepyshev, Puljujarvi and Caggiula to all be better in training camp and preseason and earn their spots in the lineup.

Then Yamamoto can rip it up in Spokane and in the World juniors.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Honestly, I almost expect him to get a 9 game look on the RW with Lucic and Drasaitl (perfect fit imo), but it will truly depend on what he does in camp.

I agree Yamamoto will be on the Oilers next year at the latest . The kids excels everywhere he plays . He will make fans forget Eberle . He smarter , faster , better 2 way player and has more drive in his baby finger then Eberle had in his whole body .

I was looking at Oilers top prospect ratings and the report i read ( A link thru another web site ) had him at #1 ahead of Puljujarvi . NHl is getting faster and this kid can fly . He will be hard to hit

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree Yamamoto will be on the Oilers next year at the latest . The kids excels everywhere he plays . He will make fans forget Eberle . He smarter , faster , better 2 way player and has more drive in his baby finger then Eberle had in his whole body .

I was looking at Oilers top prospect ratings and the report i read ( A link thru another web site ) had him at #1 ahead of Puljujarvi . NHl is getting faster and this kid can fly . He will be hard to hit

And he'll get hit hard, but it's not like he hasn't had that before. Yes the NHL is another level, but he's not going to Eric Lindros skate around with his head down and hope for the best.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Maroon McDavid Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Lucic Draisaitl Yamamoto / Puljujarvi

Thats a top 6 that has skill , speed , physicality ,2 way ability with some size thru out . Just not sure we will get to see it as Maroon will probably be gone before both Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are in the line up

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maroon McDavid Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Lucic Draisaitl Yamamoto / Puljujarvi

Thats a top 6 that has skill , speed , physicality ,2 way ability with some size thru out . Just not sure we will get to see it as Maroon will probably be gone before both Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are in the line up

I don't mind that, but I was thinking the lines will look like

Maroon - McDavid - Strome
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto (to start the year)
Jokinen - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Letestu - Kassian

Then Caggiula and Puljujarvi can move up when Yamamoto is sent back.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With Slepy being injured there's a pretty decent chance Yamamoto sees a few games if he has a good camp, IMO. Bob Stauffer has been pushing that possibility for weeks but Slepy hurting his ankle in training makes it even more likely.

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-RNH-Yamamoto
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Khaira and Pakman as extras and draw in against heavier teams.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
With Slepy being injured there's a pretty decent chance Yamamoto sees a few games if he has a good camp, IMO. Bob Stauffer has been pushing that possibility for weeks but Slepy hurting his ankle in training makes it even more likely.

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-RNH-Yamamoto
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Khaira and Pakman as extras and draw in against heavier teams.

That 3rd line will be really bad.

You would have to switch Cags and Jokinen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yamamoto is coming into camp at 155lbs...he said it was a challenge for him to reach that weight.

For his sake I hope gaining weight becomes much easier as he gets older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad