Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Will be interesting in 3-4 years which of our dmen will have an NHL career in EDM
Who do you see actually having a NHL contract

CurtisLoew

Dec 24, 2003
Canucks fan that just got home from the tournament, Stuart Skinner looked really good for you guys.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I watched/listened/followed most the games.

From my perspective I think everyone I was hoping for/expecting to do well did so.

Skinner and Butcher obviously far exceeded expectations.

Anyone really disappoint? Don't think anyone did of relevance in this tourney.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I don't think Yamamoto was really that good (or bad) in the tournament. He put up a decent but certainly not that noticeable performance.

I think I'd agree with that...I thought he had some good moments and was effective, but if I were to judge his NHL readiness solely from this tournament I would think he isn't quite there yet. But I also don't think he's too far away either, just needs a bit more strength and experience.

Still, I want to see what he looks like at the main camp. He wouldn't be the first Oilers prospect to look better there than at the Prospect tournament.

The main thing that pleased me with the 3 games was that all 3 Oilers goalies represented themselves well, they all gave their teams a chance to win. THAT is a nice chance from years past.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think I'd agree with that...I thought he had some good moments and was effective, but if I were to judge his NHL readiness solely from this tournament I would think he isn't quite there yet. But I also don't think he's too far away either, just needs a bit more strength and experience.

Still, I want to see what he looks like at the main camp. He wouldn't be the first Oilers prospect to look better there than at the Prospect tournament.

The main thing that pleased me with the 3 games was that all 3 Oilers goalies represented themselves well, they all gave their teams a chance to win. THAT is a nice chance from years past.

I agree... the Oilers goalies combined for 94 saves on 100 shots over the 3 games. Pretty solid performances across the board and hopefully there's some competition in the org now for the back up spot if Brossoit falters.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
She's time for the big boys now, this tournament was fun when we were a 30th place team but no with a sniff of winning last year I watch these games but couldn't get into them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Waiting for a certain poster's prospect comparisons :naughty:

'Yeah Calgary went 1-2 while Edmonton went 3-0 but here's this random nonsense scale I made up that clearly shows every Flame >>> every Oiler positionaly and we didn't have Kylington (Karlsson potential imo) or Adam Fox (Franchise defenceman) so in closing the Oilers are poopyheads.'

That poster?

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
My takeaways from this years tournament.

We have good goaltending prospect depth for the first time since... before I started following prospects

Yamamoto was ok, but not great. He definitely needs another year.

Butcher/Gambardella could be a good base for a line for the Condors this year

Jones impressed.

Paigin is raw. Looks good offensively, but needs to work on gap management and get used to the smaller rink

Bear looked good, but will need a couple seasons in the AHL at least IMO

I was surprised at the quality of play from Samurokov, Maksimov and Safin. They need some work, but could be something

I liked Lagesson in the first game. Didn't notice him in the second.

I liked Mantha in the first game, in the third game I thought he didn't look that good.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Maksimov was a pleasant surprise for me. If he can improve his skating and all-around game I could see him being a 2nd/3rd line guy who pots 15-20 goals a year. He has a hell of a shot. Right-handed too which is a big bonus.

Lagesson, Paigin and Samorukov are long-shots for me. Don't really see either one of them making it. Samorukov has plenty of time to develop though. Will be interesting to see how he tracks over the coming 1-2 years.

Bear, Jones and Mantha are the ones to watch on defense IMO.

Goaltending looks good.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
'Yeah Calgary went 1-2 while Edmonton went 3-0 but here's this random nonsense scale I made up that clearly shows every Flame >>> every Oiler positionaly and we didn't have Kylington (Karlsson potential imo) or Adam Fox (Franchise defenceman) so in closing the Oilers are poopyheads.'

That poster?

Don't forget about Jankowski having Benn 2.0 ceiling :laugh::laugh:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The fun thing about Maksimov also is that he just turned 18 a couple months ago. He's still got a lot of filling out to do, but the raw tools are very intriguing.

Good size, excellent skater with soft hands who can really shoot it...and isn't afraid to have the puck on his stick with the game on the line, if that end to end rush on the game OT game winner is any indication. Here's hoping he'll end up having the hockey sense to match.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think Yamamoto was really that good (or bad) in the tournament. He put up a decent but certainly not that noticeable performance.

ya. honestly, there were a bunch of players that stood out and he wasn't even close to being one of them. that said it's just a few games where many players were still trying to get into the groove of things. Can't judge anyone too much by this tournament.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
ya. honestly, there were a bunch of players that stood out and he wasn't even close to being one of them. that said it's just a few games where many players were still trying to get into the groove of things. Can't judge anyone too much by this tournament.

I remember in 2010 being underwhelmed by the big 3 at the tourny (Hall, Ebs, Paajarvi). Its a fun but meaningless tournament.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Dont forget even McDavid was a let down somewhat in this tourny. Its an event where prospects are getting their first game experience of the year. Plus, top prospects are going out and working on things in their game (ie defensive game, play away from puck), whereas invites or lesser knowns are going out to earn a contract or spot in an AHL line up. Big reason a guy like Butcher or Christoffer rip this tournament up.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Guys are rusty (Starrett said it was his first game since March), and guys don't want to get hurt.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd say I was impressed with gambardella and yammamoto. They were both kind of scrappy in their own way.

Yammer was pretty good at keeping possession and showed his speed a bit.

Paigin worried me a bit. A few years ago he looked good at the wjc. Nylander skated circles around him. I didn't see much improvement in that regard. People use lingo like angles and gap control I guess.

Maybe he will learn simple positioning though and use his reach to break up plays instead of checking, which he is obviously quite capable of.

Bear looked poised in the one game I saw.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd say I was impressed with gambardella and yammamoto. They were both kind of scrappy in their own way.

Was more impressed with Gambino during the tourney to be honest. Oozes confidence and plays a very pro-friendly game. He actually seems like a possible fit for McDavid- smart, tenacious, great positioning. If Strome struggles to produce on the first unit I'd definitely try him there.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I haven't seen much on Butcher but he has 7 points in 3 games? That's pretty impressive. Also saw his Junior stats 103 points in 63 games? How come no one drafted him? He seems like a high skilled player. Yeah, he's only 5'11 172 pounds, but so was Eberle. Anyone care to explain me this? lol.

Also impressed that all 3 goalies looked very good and all have a shot. Happy with this team so far :yo:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I haven't seen much on Butcher but he has 7 points in 3 games? That's pretty impressive. Also saw his Junior stats 103 points in 63 games? How come no one drafted him? He seems like a high skilled player. Yeah, he's only 5'11 172 pounds, but so was Eberle. Anyone care to explain me this? lol.

When he had his big season he was an over-ager. There's a lot of those guys out there who don't amount to anything in the nhl.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Also impressed that all 3 goalies looked very good and all have a shot. Happy with this team so far :yo:

Butcher is already 21yo. Eberle at that age scored 34G and 76pts in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->