Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I don't know for sure, but I think Benson is just playing it safe with rehab.

I'm just telling myself that because I really like the player and I think he could be a really good NHLer if healthy.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Only 11 draft picks eh? (2 being goalies)

Is it usually that heavy on invites?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Only 11 draft picks eh? (2 being goalies)

Is it usually that heavy on invites?

its because we have no forward prospects.

Benson is pretty much the only notable forward not drafted this year. Drafting Maksimov, Safin and Yamamoto this year helped.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sweet that Lagesson is going considering he is slated to play in the SHL this year. Very pumped to see what he can do against junior aged players. Umass was a complete horror show last 2 years (team scored 66 goals total last year) but he got some rave reviews from Colleg hockey watchers. Loved what he did at the WJC too as well. This tourney could shed better light on what type of prospect we have

But another reminder how poor our forward prospects are. I guess we dont need much help at forward for next 5 years with current group + JP and now Yamamoto. But man are we weak at this area for prospects. After JP we have a high scoring 5'7 player, a oft injured unknown and some depth picks

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
So is Benson going to the rookie camp or not?

He is on the rookie camp roster. This injury must be new?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Sweet that Lagesson is going considering he is slated to play in the SHL this year. Very pumped to see what he can do against junior aged players. Umass was a complete horror show last 2 years (team scored 66 goals total last year) but he got some rave reviews from Colleg hockey watchers. Loved what he did at the WJC too as well. This tourney could shed better light on what type of prospect we have

But another reminder how poor our forward prospects are. I guess we dont need much help at forward for next 5 years with current group + JP and now Yamamoto. But man are we weak at this area for prospects. After JP we have a high scoring 5'7 player, a oft injured unknown and some depth picks

Not to derail but we need as many forward prospects to pan out as possible. More money will be going to defence and we essentially will be dumping players when we can't afford them up front. Need those ELC's to come up and contribute. Yamamoto hopefully can do that at the NHL level.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not to derail but we need as many forward prospects to pan out as possible. More money will be going to defence and we essentially will be dumping players when we can't afford them up front. Need those ELC's to come up and contribute. Yamamoto hopefully can do that at the NHL level.

Yep. LW is of big need. There's a decent potential that Patrick Maroon may be moving after this year dependant on his contract ask. And if Khaira or Caggiula don't develop into reasonable top six LW options, we're pretty tapped for guys prepared to immediately step in.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

True. RNH could be gone soon, but LD takes his spot and Puljujarvi takes that 1RW spot. We have a hole at 2RW but hopefully Strome can take that, or Yamamoto can develop into that. If that happens, our top 6 is locked in. Bottom 6 still needs help from prospects

I guess the forward prospect spot is aided a bit by the fact Cagguila and Slepyshev are both young and just entering the league and both have upside. 1 of them could really develop well. Plus Gamberdella Im high on and could be a new Cagguila

Every draft since 2015 ive said we need to spend most of picks on forwards and we still should, however im glad we didnt do that in 2015

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
cut.jpg

cut.jpg

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So is Benson going to the rookie camp or not?

He is on the rookie camp roster. This injury must be new?

As far as anyone knows it's just lengthy re-habbing of the same sports hernia surgery he had during the summer. Missed the WJC summer camp because of it, and there was an article on NHL.com about his rehab. No reason to think otherwise.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Defence and goaltending is probably tops in the tournament, forwards are probably last. Really emphasizes the need to pick more forwards in next years draft.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Any names jumping out for any of the Invitees. The Edmonton kid who played in the Hat looks to have had a very good year last season.

Also, I knew Bear was good, but 70pts in 67 games, that's a hell of a season.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Any names jumping out for any of the Invitees. The Edmonton kid who played in the Hat looks to have had a very good year last season.

Prolly a bit of local bias but I like Fix-Wolansky and Koch. I'm pretty surprised they both went undrafted this year.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

I know that a couple of the Ontario guys on this board liked Brandon Saigeon.

Sounds like an intriguing prospect. He was a high OHL Bantam pick, but struggled in his first couple of years before breaking out last year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I know that a couple of the Ontario guys on this board liked Brandon Saigeon.

Sounds like an intriguing prospect. He was a high OHL Bantam pick, but struggled in his first couple of years before breaking out last year.

Szypula will probably have a big year offensively as an OA in Owen Sound, but I don't think he really has much going for him professionally. Bit of a smaller guy, some skill but not overly physical. He was a Dallas invite last year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know it's hindsight, but damn DeBrincat would be nice now.

Has he contributed a lot at the NHL level? So Benson is dealing with the large injury we all know about, letting him get more time to prepare for the WHL season is actually a smart thing, even if he was healthy, he would be a long term prospect.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know it's hindsight, but damn DeBrincat would be nice now.

Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and DeBrincat would seem like overkill for scoring forwards. If Benson pans out, he'll fill more of a need in that 2 way forward mold.

What isn't being discussed enough is the complete lack of centers in the pipeline, like it's bone dry. Gambardella could be a darkhorse possibility but besides him, who is there? I like that they drafted for skill in this draft but they ignored the center need.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and DeBrincat would seem like overkill for scoring forwards. If Benson pans out, he'll fill more of a need in that 2 way forward mold.

What isn't being discussed enough is the complete lack of centers in the pipeline, like it's bone dry. Gambardella could be a darkhorse possibility but besides him, who is there? I like that they drafted for skill in this draft but they ignored the center need.

Aapeli Rasanen is going to be a bottom 6 center imo. I'm confident he'll be an NHLer, but I'm probably his biggest fan on these boards.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Bob Green was also saying Yamamoto will be battling for a roster spot this year and don't bet against someone with that kind of skill.

I just hope that unless he is going to be a top 6 contributor for the team they send him down after 9. Need to save that ELC. I think this kid is going to be great in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad