2017 OHL Draft

pucksniper

Jan 24, 2016
Here you are.

On a serious note, no hard feelings.

It should be noted that unlike who you're alluding to, we specifically have watched the '01 age group the entire year and have seen every team save for a few AYHL teams and US independents. We don't have a personal agenda, nor do we rely on this for a primary income, so objectivity is not even up for debate.

As always, there's going to be differing points of view with players at any age - especially at the Bantam age when there's such a stark difference in physical maturity between so many of the players.

Respectively, that's our top-10 ranking thus far and if you have a differing point of view, that's absolutely within your capacity. We're not preaching this as gospel, but it is the culmination of everything we've seen to date at this point of the year and it represents our position on the age group as of now.

So how exactly did you come to this current list? What system do you use and how often are you at gentlemen at games?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
So how exactly did you come to this current list? What system do you use and how often are you at gentlemen at games?

We've worked in OHL organizations in the past so we're not just throwing darts at a wall here. We're assessing players based on tools, current ability, future potential and the intangible value and role projection you associate with players.

As for part two, I myself have seen six games in the past three days so that should probably give you an indication that we're not just popping by the tournaments. In fact it would be far to the contrary. We've also made several trips to the USA to ensure we're getting multiple viewings there.

pucksniper

Jan 24, 2016
We've worked in OHL organizations in the past so we're not just throwing darts at a wall here. We're assessing players based on tools, current ability, future potential and the intangible value and role projection you associate with players.

As for part two, I myself have seen six games in the past three days so that should probably give you an indication that we're not just popping by the tournaments. In fact it would be far to the contrary. We've also made several trips to the USA to ensure we're getting multiple viewings there.

That is interesting,But must admit I was surprised by the list.You have missed some obvious talent and anytime that happens credibility will be questioned.I will make a point to view your top 20 and 100.So $50 gives access to what exactly on your site?

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016

Hey priority selection, did you guys have a chance to make it out to the Alliance '01 all star game in Waterloo earlier in the season?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Hey priority selection, did you guys have a chance to make it out to the Alliance '01 all star game in Waterloo earlier in the season?

We were actually in the US that weekend so my colleague wasn't able to see it. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of All-Star games anyways and put far more stock on league play.

There will be some high-end players in the Alliance for the OHL Draft, though. It's definitely a top-heavy league both in terms of team talent and individual talent, but it should be an somewhat intriguing season in 16/17. It will also be interesting to see if McCombs winds up playing MM in Kitchener or tries to get a release for Waterloo or Cambridge.

Last edited:

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
I agree with you 100% there. League play is a far better indication of a players skill level, as many factors can attribute to a off all star game, such a poor chemistry, nerves, unfamiliar systems, ect. From what I've seen, Kitchener is one of the weaker alliance teams, so I wouldn't be surprised if McCombs try's out for a strong Cambridge team next year.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
I agree with you 100% there. League play is a far better indication of a players skill level, as many factors can attribute to a off all star game, such a poor chemistry, nerves, unfamiliar systems, ect. From what I've seen, Kitchener is one of the weaker alliance teams, so I wouldn't be surprised if McCombs try's out for a strong Cambridge team next year.

Definitely.

I would expect Waterloo and Cambridge will both be pushing aggressively for McCombs, so it'll be interesting. Waterloo doesn't have the same level of hype that Cambridge does at this point but they're still a very good team in their own right and have a couple of higher-end players relative to the age group. Adding McCombs would be a pretty huge coup if they can pull it off.

Kitchener's '01 team just isn't the same calibre as the '99 and even '00 teams which is a bit unfortunate if you're looking at it from McCombs' viewpoint.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Strong Bantam teams usually don't stick together. Waterloo continually puts out a strong minor midget team and will likely be a landing team for most of the region's top players

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Strong Bantam teams usually don't stick together. Waterloo continually puts out a strong minor midget team and will likely be a landing team for most of the region's top players

True, although Cambridge is a unique situation because they haven't had a team of this calibre in ...well pretty much forever.

With the GTHL potentially moving towards tougher restrictions on imports I would have to imagine their roster will stay fairly intact. The team also goes well beyond Campbell as they run about 7-deep at forward while their top-4 D are all noteworthy as well. They've also missed O'Hagan for most of the season with a couple different injuries as he should project to be one of the better D in the Alliance when healthy.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
After a pretty entertaining conclusion to the regular season last night, the GTHL playoff matchups are now set.

1 Rebels v 8 Titans
2 Reps v 7 Marlboros
3 Jr. Canadiens v 6 Senators
4 Kings v 5 Young Nationals

The Titans have been playing better of late but it's hard to imagine them even taking a point off the Rebels. The other three series' on the other hand all have the potential to go the distance as there's really no shortage of parity in the league this year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I know this is an 01 thread and it's way early to be talking about 02s, but the Marlboros have a defensive tandem that are unreal skill wise. Drysdale and Moore, I think

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
I know this is an 01 thread and it's way early to be talking about 02s, but the Marlboros have a defensive tandem that are unreal skill wise. Drysdale and Moore, I think

It will be interesting to see if any other 02's elect to bypass Bantam and play up in MM. There are currently 10 '01 birth year players playing up in MM but there's only three '02 birth year's who are playing up with the 01's at this point.

For the three playing up, unless they grow, it might even be more beneficial for them to return to the '02 birth year for bantam to ensure they get a good development year in at a more comfortable size bracket before their draft year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Wow...Big upset today with the Rebels losing to Whitby. I see that Perfetti had a hat trick. If anyone was present at the game, has his mobility improved?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Wow...Big upset today with the Rebels losing to Whitby. I see that Perfetti had a hat trick. If anyone was present at the game, has his mobility improved?

Definitely a huge win for Whitby, although given some of the big games they've won this year it probably shouldn't come as all that big of a surprise that they were able to pull out a win in a game like this. The way they did it - after falling behind 2-1 in the third - was quite impressive, though.

I'm not all that familiar with the '02 age group beyond those who are playing up and the odd glimpse of someone AP'ing up, but footwork is still a pretty big concern in his game. For his size, he's not a great skater and lacks the strength to make up for it. As much as he is more than capable of making an impact with the 01's, it might be worth looking into returning to his own age group next year, especially if his growth spurt is still another 12 months away from coming to fruition which would only widen the strength gap. Very impressive game for him today though, no doubt about that.

BarnMucker

Jan 17, 2016
OHFs in motion in rockland. Surprising first day as Whitby beats rebels. Worth mentioning that it was whitbys first game that day while the rebels played the Ottawa Senators earlier in the day. London will be leathal now that Suzuki is healthy, kid had 3 assists in the 3-0 win. His brother having big rookie year with owen sound, with 20g. I would be surprised to see Suzuki slip past the first 10 picks next year. Prefetti with a massive game vs the rebels picking up three points, 2g 1a. Should be a great week of hockey

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Interesting results so far. Thought this was going to be London and Mississauga in the finals, guaranteed. But Whitby has come to play and EOW have called up their oustanding 02s to bolster their roster.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Rangers will get him. They like kids from that area.

I may be mis-correcting, but just an FYI that Tabak plays for the Mississauga Senators, not the Ottawa-based program. He's actually from Oakville as well and previously played in the SCTA.

That said, chewer is correct in stating that he'll go into the season with top-10 potential. He's a rare type of player to come across.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I may be mis-correcting, but just an FYI that Tabak plays for the Mississauga Senators, not the Ottawa-based program. He's actually from Oakville as well and previously played in the SCTA.

That said, chewer is correct in stating that he'll go into the season with top-10 potential. He's a rare type of player to come across.

Too bad. I was kidding but they seem to like players from that area. Merieles , McHugh , Rippon etc.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
True, although Cambridge is a unique situation because they haven't had a team of this calibre in ...well pretty much forever.

With the GTHL potentially moving towards tougher restrictions on imports I would have to imagine their roster will stay fairly intact. The team also goes well beyond Campbell as they run about 7-deep at forward while their top-4 D are all noteworthy as well. They've also missed O'Hagan for most of the season with a couple different injuries as he should project to be one of the better D in the Alliance when healthy.

I think the last time Cambridge had an age group like this was the 1991 s with Ryan Ellis, Kyle Clifford, Taylor Doherty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad